Search results

1. jmathers

Greetings SMAC!

Send me a PM and include your email address. I'll add you to the list. Yes, Lansing is part of the region.
  2. jmathers

New to area. SMAC seems dead?

I'm happy to report SMAC is alive and well. We rarely use this forum anymore since all of our meeting info and sales are conducted through https://groups.google.com/g/michiganaudioclub You'll need to make a request to join there and I'll add you to the list. And of course we're not meeting in...
  3. jmathers

Official Jolida JD9 thread

Have you checked the tonearm wire continuity from the headshell to the RCAs?
  4. jmathers

2017 Audio Karma Meet/Fest

@teal'c Send me a PM with your email addy and I'll get you on the new SMAC list. After signing up, there's no obligation to get out to a meet. We do list equipment for sale and local musical events on our google groups page so there may be other items of interest for you.
  5. jmathers

Official Jolida JD9 thread

^This.
  6. jmathers

Michigan Audiokarma members

PM me your email address so I can check if you're enrolled in the Google SMAC group.
  7. jmathers

Michigan Audiokarma members

Actually, the October meeting is the 20th.
  8. jmathers

Raspberry Pi: Most cost-effective solution?

For a garage system, I setup a wireless RPi 3B+ running Diet Pi with a cheap usb dac hooked to a Teac intergrated amp. In spite of grumblings from others about the wifi on the Pi (I think it shares the USB bus?) I've had great luck with no dropouts streaming Tidal and my ripped CD collection...
  9. jmathers

Can you check my crossover 'layout' for me? (Altec)

Hey thanks for posting the cap brand you like. Don't know why all my searches on ebay in the last week did not turn these up but I just found them and bought a couple of the Genteqs. Cheers!
  10. jmathers

Cabinets are Altec 614Ds that I picked up through my audio club. They're particle board and not the desirable plywood ones but they were a good price and work perfectly with the 414s. Yes, I figured I can parallel some different values if necessary. BTW thanks again for the crossover drawing...
  11. jmathers

I want to audition your speakers...in Michigan

No need to be well versed in anything audio to attend a SMAC meet. Can you eat food and drink a beer at the same time? You're qualified. SMAC was founded as a safe place for folks interested in audio to hang out and explore the hobby. We have conducted some presentations in the past but it's...
  12. jmathers

Got the crossovers completed, first with poly caps as a test. Sounding surprisingly nice - I'm impressed by the 32B horn. Now I just need to find the appropriate PIO caps. The 16uF PIOs will be tough to find I expect. Still lots of tweaking to go but this sounds promising.
  13. jmathers

Just an update on the pot. I posted over on Joseph's blog (jelabs.blogspot.com) asking about a possible replacement and using an L-Pad instead. And he was kind enough to reply re: the unobtanium pots. Here's his response: "I've successfully used an 8 or 16 ohm L-pad in place of the 30 ohm...
  14. jmathers

Yes, maybe I'm just not understanding and the l-pad is the same thing?? There was a drawing done by someone that I can't find that showed an exploded view of the pot/l-pad for the je lab crossover. I search around for it as maybe it clarifies things. But it still appears a 30 ohm/2W l-pad or...
  15. jmathers

Any idea what value cap you use on the Renkus horns? I will post pics.
  16. jmathers

Thanks for the reply! And excellent layout of the crossover. If you don't mind I'll use this when putting mine together. Speaking of Joe Roberts, did you ever think about trying his simple crossover approach to these, running the 414 full range with just a single cap on the 802D? Detailed...
  17. jmathers

Did the OP ever get this up and running? I'm about to start on the same crossover. Where'd you get your 30ohm 2W potentiometer? I can't seem to find a source for them. I'll be running 414-16Bs, the 32B horn and Altec 802Ds.
  18. jmathers

SMAC Tribute to Paul "Kegger" MKechnie

With the recent devastating news, I thought it important in this difficult time to gather together for support. Please join me this coming Saturday, June 10th for a Tribute to Paul "Kegger" McKechnie at my place from 1pm until whenever. My apologies for the short notice. I'll likely assemble...
  19. jmathers

Update your Tidal and get "Masters"

Check Ashok's linked list. Over 700 albums in Tidal that are Master quality right now. For example, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Stadium Arcadium does not appear in Tidal Masters category but a search in Tidal for that album shows a Masters and regular version. Perhaps a bad example since I don't...
  20. jmathers

Yes, these are similar complaints that I have and my understanding as well. Nice summation of the current state of affairs. And a great link. Evidently, not all the albums on Tidal are listed in the Masters section. Hope whoever is maintaining the linked list keeps updating it.
  21. jmathers

Not displayed in the Tidal desktop app. The only way I can tell what's appearing at my non-MQA DAC is the light on the DAC changes to the appropriate bitrate color when streamed via the Tidal app - either for 24/88 or 24/96. It does not change when I'm streaming the same Masters album through...
  22. jmathers

Tidal's new "Masters" - MQA is here!

Not the case as far as I can see. Tidal is using a software decoder to send MQA files to the DAC (it may be that the decoder is limited to 24/96 though). I can play MQA files through Tidal and get 24/96 resolution at my DAC. My DAC is a non-MQA DAC.
  23. jmathers

Repair Shop needed in Detroit Tri County Area

I don't know what a 5000X is but you could try Morrell Electronics Service in Farmington. Recommended frequently by others here, though I've never had an opportunity to go there.
  24. jmathers

Allen Park swap

Thanks for the clarification guys!!
  25. jmathers

Allen Park swap

Good question. Perhaps Grumpy or Ernie or a moderator can chime in. I'm assuming that you'd want to list gear that you will have available for sale or trade at the Allen Park swap meet? We'd be treading close to a barter town world I think.
Back
Top Bottom