Search results

1. Tubamark

RSL speakers, am I alone?

I bought a pair of ELAN s with one white and one black woofer. I can confirm that they are identical. Took them out of the cabs, when I was refurbishing the radiators. Exact same magnet, basket, voicecoil, dust cap, everything. Only difference is black cone color.
  2. Tubamark

Ohm Model C

Hello. Have you gotten around to making the Advent comparison? Curious, As I have a pair of Advent Legacies, and am looking at a pair of the Ohm model C's near me . . .
  3. Tubamark

If I recall correctly (I have lost the original hardboard disc), the one I weighed was almost exactly 1/4 lb - This is almost double what the foam-core replacement radiators weigh. Can anyone confirm this? Alternately, does anyone know what the designed Fs (system resonance) of the Elan...
  4. Tubamark

I'd really like to know what's up with the dark woofers. My Elan pair (estate sale) has one white and one black. I pulled them, and everything to the eye appears identical except cone color. They do sound different, with the black one having brighter midrange. I ran a woofer tester on them...
  5. Tubamark

EV Woofer buzz

Wow. Thanks for the link - I hadn't imagined replacement parts even existed. Not only pricey, but old - probably ready to turn to dust like the originals. While the outer ring is a no-brainier as you mentioned, the inner one still has me puzzled - I'm surprised that it's foam.:scratch2...
  6. Tubamark

EV Woofer buzz

Apologies for resurrecting this ancient thread . . . I also have a pair of these, but when I got mine the small disc/lens that partially covers the tweeter dome were already missing, just like these http://d2heru13qkbk4q.cloudfront.net/media/920322/scaled/IMG_4912.JPG Can anyone with a stock...
  7. Tubamark

C.R.A.C. event

I'm sorry to say I'm already tied-up that day. I recently lost my job on Feb 20th after 3+ years, so I'm pretty bummed these days. 'Hoped to be there for 20 years. If anyone reading this has a contact in these areas, please let me know, or point them to www.linkedin.com/in/markmazak/...
  8. Tubamark

C.R.A.C. event

As a former North Cantonian, I can tell you that it's pretty hard to bust-in to this group. The first thing you have to do is show up. Um . . . well, that's pretty much it. :banana: Though not required, it's highly recommended to have some combination of food, beveridge, and tunes held...
  9. Tubamark

C.R.A.C. event

Howdy! I rarely get a break to visit any forums lately .... Luckily, Pete asked me at work if I knew 'bout the invite. Methinks Ill be there. I'd like to bring a pair of my Gluten-free prototype mystery speakers. Look away - they're hideous. --Mark
  10. Tubamark

would painted canvas work well as an absorption panel?

Whoa! Hang-on -- I just discovered this thread. I'm the "nobody" cited above! A painted canvas panel is not necessarily a bad idea at all. It all depends on what your room needs. If you require a full-range absorber, then yes - it's not ideal. First reflection point absorbers should...
  11. Tubamark

Lets make some panels!

go to http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm It's generally more cost-effective to purchase in greater thickness in the first place. It's rare that I'd ever recommend less than 2" for audiophile application. Almost zero rooms benefit from thin fiberglass, as it absorbs the...
  12. Tubamark

Spindle hole too big, impact on sound quality?

. . . Or one could argue that the spindle transmits vibration from the motor or other mechanisms into the vinyl . . . :scratch2: If the LP is nice & flat and in firm contact with a decent turntable mat, plenty of drainage is occuring already. Drainage also occurs in the other direction - thru...
  13. Tubamark

sound treatment material?

I assume you're speaking of common Rebond Foam carpet pad (there are many other kinds - latex rubber, jute fiber, etc) NO porous absorber that is only 3/8" thick works well, so let's be fair. If one uses several layers - like 2" thick or more, Rebond pad will perform similar to 2"...
  14. Tubamark

sound treatment material?

It could be just the ticket if it's open-cell foam. To test, all you have to do is seal the foam against your face (choose or create a side w/out the Dacron) and exhale. If you can breathe into it without much pressure, it will work fine. Keep the dacron. Re: the waterproof cover - it will...
  15. Tubamark

R19 fiberglass and need opinions on my situation

Two issues at play WRT the floor. First is frequency response, second is imaging. The infamous "floor notch" in response at the listening position (FR issue), is very common for speakers on stands, bookshelf speakers, etc. [less of a problem with line arrays, speakers with midbass close to...
  16. Tubamark

Optimal distance to listen stereo.

Proportion is the key. You can sit very close to speakers that are either small or coaxial. can't sit so close to a multi-way speaker with drivers spead over 2 or three feet of speaker face. A distance that is several multiples of that span is usually required to get the sound from all...
  17. Tubamark

Pretty much same thought as ceiling clouds: Since you already have aggressive corner absorption, and a reasonable size room, you don't really need to go crazy at first reflection points, unless you want the room overall to be more dry than it currently is, or if you are still having significant...
  18. Tubamark

If you have the option of reversing the layout - putting speakers between the chambers, you could be pleasantly surprised. Fewer early reflections, more enveloping reflections from the enclosed area behind ya (you would need to put a reflective facing on the superchunks, etc). If ya gotta...
  19. Tubamark

Like RevMen said, that's simply not true. Sure, a drywall-MLV-drywall sandwich works (you've added substantial mass), but that is neither the only, nor the best, application for it. MLV in a 1# psf density and only 1/10th inch thick by itself rates STC 26 -- nearly the same as a sheet of...
  20. Tubamark

Data, please. In my experience, and based on data that I have seen, higher density is detrimental at lower frequencies. The one exception to this is when a 703 or 705 board -- which contains stiffening resins not used in batt insulation -- is suspended in such a manner (airspace) as to permit...
  21. Tubamark

Would like opinions on improving HT

If you're stuck with the current arrangement, at least load up the right wall with absorption - the R spkr is way too close, while the L is relatively free. If you do a simple L-R balance test you'll prob notice more output on the R (easy fix) and a very different tonal character (harder to...
  22. Tubamark

wall problem

Depends on the relationship between your listening seat(s), the speakers, and said wall(s). Describe & include approx distances. This is a great opportunity to put the wall to work for you! -- Mark
  23. Tubamark

MeatInStereo: Is that you, Scott? I lived in North Canton until recently. Discovered CRAC &...

MeatInStereo: Is that you, Scott? I lived in North Canton until recently. Discovered CRAC & AK when I started working with Pete Malhrek in Solon. -- Mark (the newbie guy with the JB Labs speaks at BigSteve's CRAC meet ).
  24. Tubamark

Cleveland Regional Audio Club - CRAC - roll call!

I ain't no "guest speaker", just a new responder to the CRAC call . . . but I plan to be there, with some (reasonably well-founded) thoughts on room treatment. And yes, Andy has set a new standard for a cool avatar. --Mark aka TubaMark
  25. Tubamark

Sideways Dipole - What?!

Yep. John Kreskovsky really goes nuts with the math about that on his site. For myself, I add-in boxed and IB bass well before getting that low. Few of us can even generate enough dipole displacement to reasonably challenge the pressure theory! I'm not an advocate of sideways dipoles--only...
Back
Top Bottom