Search results

1. robobxman

Happy Birthday robobxman!

Thanks everyone ... the older I get, the more surprised I am by my age. Like the Van Halen lyric, "I don't feel tardy," I don't feel 53!
  2. robobxman

DACs: Cheap vs Expensive

I've used the Emotiva XDA1 for years. I am thinking about upgrading since that is an old unit. Has the E30 made a noticeable improvement in your system? (I'm considering the E30 or D50).
  3. robobxman

Back from the Dead - Painstaking Dynaco A25 Resto w/Pics

Thanks! They are stained, and you wouldn't believe how dark the stain looks in the can. But ash is very light - see the final 'before' photo above. The finish is almost a honey-type color, with the grain striations being darker. It's exactly what I was shooting for.
  4. robobxman

Thanks and nice job on yours. I used paper-backed veneer and a water-based contact cement from https://www.veneersupplies.com/.
  5. robobxman

Well, I finished the other speaker this morning and hooked them up to my office setup, an Adcom 535 fed directly from my Airport Express streaming lossless tunes from my music server. I think there is a ton of bias in our hobby - I certainly earned it with all the work on these A25s (they MUST...
  6. robobxman

Thanks ... the veneer is ash, one of my favorite woods.
  7. robobxman

Thanks, guys - appreciate it. Hope they sound as good as they look!
  8. robobxman

Here is the finished product.
  9. robobxman

Fifteen years ago, I heard Dynaco A25s for the first time (member Mark Anderson hooked me up with a temporary system when my wife and I were vacationing in Georgia). Since then, I've acquired and enjoyed a number of great speakers - Maggies, B&Ws, and currently Ohm Walsh 4s - but I've always...
  10. robobxman

Ohm Acoustics "Upgrades". I Stand Corrected.

Here is a discussion about new Ohms from those who have them (https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/are-the-new-ohm-walsh-speakers-audiophile-quality). Their views should shape yours the most. If you have any qualms, maybe join that discussion or PM some of the contributors.
  11. robobxman

I just received my refurbished cans on Monday. From purely a customer service standpoint, I give them an A. John said it would take a month and it did, almost down to the day. I asked if they could fix a dent in one of my cans (gotta love shippers), and they did at no cost. When it was time to...
  12. robobxman

Low volume distortion - caps or voice coils?

Received my re-furb'd cans back from Ohm right on time (this past Monday). Day and night improvement - distortion is gone, bass has returned (I always thought the bass was weak - not anymore), and they sound better all-around. And the cans look brandy new, right down to the 'left speaker' and...
  13. robobxman

Amen brother! Actually having my Audio Research SP-10 gone through top to bottom by my tech and eyeing a juicy DAC purchase (the Schitt Bifrost 2)!
  14. robobxman

I considered the upgrade but they already sound sooooo good - can't see the $2K being worth the small difference. That said, these surrounds have been failing slowly over time, creating a buzzy sound easily heard at low volumes but always present. That being fixed should really help, along with...
  15. robobxman

Very helpful, thank you! ... per your rebalancing point, the only thing is my crossovers are in my cabinets. Wasn't about to send those with the cans!
  16. robobxman

The cans are on their way to Brooklyn. After I pulled them, I turned them upside down with a strong light behind and could see and hear chunks of the foam surround moving around. I suppose I could have tackled the refoaming - have done a few sets before - but I guess I'd rather give Ohm the opp...
  17. robobxman

Thank you for saying this. I have a friend who visited John in Brooklyn - my friend even brought his wife along - and John could not have been nicer. I myself have had good experiences with John and Evan. In fact, I just shipped my Walsh 4 cans to be refoamed and will be sure to report back with...
  18. robobxman

@Gibsonian I saw that too. I dealt with Ohm to buy new hats for my 4s, and they were great. Just got off the phone with John S. and he was great too - and explained that the $250/pair checkup service will resolve my issues, which he thinks are attributable to failing surrounds. I fessed up to...
  19. robobxman

The upgrade is likely very nice, but SO expensive. $2K for the basic upgrade is a little nuts, IMO. I guess I'll have to find a 'parts car' with good drivers. Or maybe Ohm will say they can repair mine. Stay tuned.
  20. robobxman

Well ... I'm a dumbass. Distortion now worse after the louder tone test (no, I didn't really crank it - but I did turn it up). But I suppose it does point to the vc being damaged.
  21. robobxman

Ok I lied but just a little ... just tried turning them up a lot more and could still hear distortion up to about 70hz, then it smoothed out. At higher volume, the distortion was more pronounced at lower frequencies (not surprising). When I say distortion, it's a muffled crackling sound. As for...
  22. robobxman

Thanks, CJ. Just took your advice. Now, I'm not a sound engineer but I ran various octaves. Sound is smooth above 65hz. From about 8hz to 65hz, I hear crackling/distortion.
  23. robobxman

Thanks, guys. It's happening in both speakers and I changed everything upstream to ensure it wasn't that. And I'd love to inspect the drivers, but as you know, they are encased in that impenetrable black can. @MetalDaze - my highs are just fine, certainly not rolled off in any noticeable way...
  24. robobxman

I recently noticed distortion (like muffled static) from my Ohm Walsh 4s, clearly audible at low volumes - harder to hear at high volumes, but it's still there. I changed components to confirm it's the speakers, and it is. I also adjusted the switches in the back for lows and highs, but it had...
  25. robobxman

Are these prices for real?

In the early 2000s vintage gear could still be found for great prices, and that made the hobby so much fun - not just the "scores" but the availability of quality equipment to just about anyone with a few bucks to spare. And even the holy grail pieces were (somewhat) affordable ... I used to...
Back
Top Bottom