Search results

1. sqlsavior

Happy Friday! Dynavector 10x5 mkii Low

I have called the Denon DL-103 LOMC a workingman's reference. Seems like the Dynavector 10x5 is another. A good cartridge upgrade can be as amazing as a good speaker upgrade, no? Happy listening! :music:
  2. sqlsavior

Do you run stereo bass?

Compression and rarefaction can occur in any airspace, even the tiny space between your eardrum and your earbuds. You may have good bass, but you are mansplaining gibberish. And that is being a dick, even if not intended. So, stop! ...is my friendly suggestion. Happy listening! :music:
  3. sqlsavior

Can an Amplifier make this huge difference in sound?

It is likely that the great difference in sound between the units was due to differences in the preamp sections of your integrated amplifiers more than the power amp sections. While some power amps have trouble with some speakers, differences are often greater between preamps. With any older...
  4. sqlsavior

So who's syncing DSOM to the Eclipse?

Not "Paint It Black"? "I want to see the sun blotted out from the sky" would describe many people today!
  5. sqlsavior

If vinyl sounds better than digital, am I using the wrong DAC?

Maybe it's the wrong DAC, but it's more likely that you are using the wrong bits: https://dr.loudness-war.info/
  6. sqlsavior

Modern electronics with vintage speakers - good idea?

I think my post was pure projection!
  7. sqlsavior

Modern electronics with vintage speakers - good idea?

It's not the speakers that are slow, it's all their old, tired, retro-grouch electrons that don't even want to get out of bed, especially on a cloudy day. Infuse the old speakers with new, fresh electrons by playing music through them, and listen carefully. They might not be worn out, yet. :music:
  8. sqlsavior

High End CD Players - 2024

Nah, why give up the integration? Get an SACD/CD player with a DAC that can also be used standalone. Mine cannot, alas, but successor models can. For my sonic tastes, my Marantz Reference Series SA-15s2 could not possibly be beaten, AFAIK. Any 'improvement' would consist of false (to me)...
  9. sqlsavior

To All Us Analogue Enthusiasts Out There

None of our dogs or our guest dogs have ever jumped on the turntable. While my wife did not jump on the turntable either, she may as well have... :( I like that bit of artwork.
  10. sqlsavior

WHY Do People Purchase BPC and such

BPC is a common term here. OP is not using it incorrectly. Time for AK members to stop putting words into his posts. And I agree that public-facing stereos should not be set to the operator's whims. It's a small complaint, but a valid one.
  11. sqlsavior

Guess What I Did Last Night

Interesting that Marantz's phono circuits were the same along the model range, or at least for the ones you checked out. Makes sense if you want to put your best foot forward.
  12. sqlsavior

Fred @ Sam Records

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, from a fellow Fred.
  13. sqlsavior

When my tube phono preamp broke, I sent it in for repair. Same for my new turntable. I can't afford to do the same with my broken tube power amp right now, so it sits, forlorn. OTOH, I put three of the four DVD players that we had in the house into the garbage last night, because they were no...
  14. sqlsavior

And good thing, too! More ketchup, please!
  15. sqlsavior

Perhaps not tone-deaf, but tone-inexperienced, and accustomed to the 'as you like it' way of consuming. AKA Philistines!
  16. sqlsavior

Advice for getting back to listening to music.

I would ride a bicycle until I felt better. Or maybe go hiking or camping. Getting out of the house is important, and for longer than a run to the store. Your stereo is not going anywhere; it's OK if you don't use it for awhile.
  17. sqlsavior

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter to all.
  18. sqlsavior

Audio Absurdity Award Goes To....

Cool. Sometimes I actually need a flashlight...
  19. sqlsavior

As long as the looking task does not include reading, maybe.
  20. sqlsavior

I was sitting in the Boulder room with at least a quarter million $ of their gear powering similar Rockford speakers, at RMAF 2016, and two guys patting each other on the back. "This is simply lovely. I could listen to this all day." I couldn't disagree - it sounded like my setup at home, but...
  21. sqlsavior

Is high power a waste at low to medium volume?

Unused reserve power contributes nothing to sound quality. It is 'wasted', until it is needed, at which point it is being USED, and contributes mightily. Most people are averaging less than one watt while listening. It's the peaks that require power.
  22. sqlsavior

Hum from speakers when amp is plugged into a particular outlet.

Find out what else is on the circuit with the new outlet. One way is to turn circuit breakers off and back on again one by one until the new outlet goes dead, then see what else goes off. Unplug the other items. Does the hum go away? Which items make it worse when plugged back in? Big draws like...
  23. sqlsavior

Things you can only hear on your high end systems

Sure, lots of stuff. Most any chip amp beats yesterday's mediocre line-stage combobulations, and while some implementations add a bit of an edge, others don't seem to. Soundstage and imaging seem fine to me. And here's a Chi-Fi wonder, an affordable class-A power amp...
  24. sqlsavior

Old timers who had good stereo systems in the late 50s/early 60s - how did they compare to today?

The Ortofon SPU moving coil cartridge design appeared in 1958. I bought my Synergy SPU in ~2011. The Denon DL-103 came out in 1962. I bought mine maybe 2009? The Decca Mark IV direct-tracing design came out as a separate cartridge in 1965. I bought my SuperGold in 2013, iirc. The original Quad...
Back
Top Bottom