Search results

1. MyComa13

103 S Soundsmith

Just thought of something else...not sure what phono pre your running, but if it has adjustable loading, you might try playing around with that as well. The 103S isn't overly sensitive to loading (somewhere between 100 and 1000 ohms reflected impedance generally works well), but you never know...
  2. MyComa13

103 S Soundsmith

Haha...no problem. Been through the wars with Denon carts and turntables. Love both the 60L and the 103S. I have to say, the retip from SS does change the sonic characteristic of the older Denon carts. Much more 'hifi' if that makes sense. Your 103S is going to sound different from what you're...
  3. MyComa13

103 S Soundsmith

The 103S needs to be on a med mass arm, and the s-shaped arm with the stock pcl-4 headshell is ideal for it. Adding mass to the headshell isn't going to solve your bass issue. Denon carts are notoriously picky about VTA, and I've found the 103S to be especially picky even compared to a...
  4. MyComa13

pioneer pl-71

Which cart are you running on the 71?
  5. MyComa13

George Jones passes....RIP

RIP George... Oddly, AK gets a mention on SI.com's Extra Mustard... http://extramustard.si.com/2013/04/26/in-george-jones-we-just-lost-a-man-who-could-sing-the-hell-out-of-the-national-anthem/
  6. MyComa13

Reference Records - Those you play to people to convince them that Vinyl is boss

Tom Petty - Wildflowers. Beautiful sounding record.
  7. MyComa13

Denon DL-103 on MC section of Pioneer SA-9800

Congrats obrt! I forgot all about that interference filter too. Glad you found that out before dropping any cash on an SUT. The 9800 has an excellent MC phono section and it sounds great with a 103. Sounds like you are on you're way and enjoying your vinyl!
  8. MyComa13

Denon DL-300 from Hong Kong

Very nice cart. Has a nice full sound, like most of the Denons, and not overly picky about loading. The first time I heard one, I couldn't believe it was Denon's entry level LOMC in the early 80s. Congrats on the great setup!
  9. MyComa13

I know how confusing all of this can be first, but you're obviously catching on fast. The good part is that once you get the cart mounted and everything set, you won't have to worry about it. You'll just be able to enjoy your records. The 9800/Technics 1210/DL-103 combo is a pretty fantastic...
  10. MyComa13

A 16g headshell will add about 8g of effective mass at the headshell. A 12g headshell with a 3g spacer will add about the same amount of weight. So I think either combo would work. In either of these scenarios, the effective mass of the arm will be around 20g. From my experience that's getting...
  11. MyComa13

The Technics arm is a bit too light for the DL-103. Regardless of resonance figures, the Denon likes a heavy-ish arm, and it also likes to be "massed up" at the headshell. It'll work, but you won't be getting the best performance from the cart or the table. The DL-103 on the stock Technics arm...
  12. MyComa13

denon tonearms

It will probably work. I've swapped arm tubes from 62L onto a 60L and vice versa. I've also swapped the tube from a 59L onto a 60L. Never had any trouble. The 67L looks to have the same connection for the arm tubes as the 62L, so I think it should work fine. The only thing I would question...
  13. MyComa13

Cartridge for a Denon60L?

I can tell you from experience the S-arm for the 60L is kind of tricky as far as cart matching. It's a medium mass arm, so it requires a cart that is somewhere around medium to low compliance. However, you can't put a cart on it that is too heavy because you won't be able to get it to balance...
  14. MyComa13

Cartridge recommendation for Denon TT

You might keep an eye out for a used 301 mk2 with low hours. They come up quite a bit and usually well within your price range. In fact, be on the lookout for a 301 mk1 too. If you find one with low hours and in good shape, it's worth a shot. The DL-300 is an option too, but those don't seem to...
  15. MyComa13

Denon 60L pivot point problem....

Do you mean there is play in the tonearm bearing? If so, you may be able to tighten the bearing screws a bit. Not too much though. The arm should move free and easy with little or no play.
  16. MyComa13

Cartridge recommendation for Denon TT

I would worry about using either a 103 or 103r on the 37f because the arm is of a lower effective mass. The servo controls on the arm could help to clean up some resonance issues when running a low compliance cart like a 103, but I'd rather just go with a cart that is a higher compliance in the...
  17. MyComa13

Step up tranny vs phono preamp for Denon

Looks like you're getting some good advice re: phono preamps and SUTs for the DL-103. However, you should be aware that the 103 is not a good match for the straight arm on the DP-62L, as it will probably produce resonance and tracking issues. It is a low compliance cartridge (in fact, a very low...
  18. MyComa13

WSJ Video on the Cassette Comeback

Interesting viewing for the tapeheads... http://online.wsj.com/video/a-cassette-tape-comeback/0F4C5C0F-5246-4FCB-A212-EB6CA6403838.html
  19. MyComa13

Best way to amplify low output mc

Nothing wrong with trying it out and seeing how you like it. Here are some specs for it: AT-630 Technical data: Manufacturer: AUDIO-TECHNICA, Japan Input impedance: 20 ohms or less Output impedance: 47 kohms Gain: 20 dB Frequency response: 15 Hz - 100 kHz THD: 0.05%, 15 - 100000 Hz...
  20. MyComa13

I'm using the AU-305 currently, but have used the AU-310 and AU-320. Each of these has a tap for 40 ohms and "pass". On the 40 ohm tap (which is a 10x winding ratio on the transformer), when run through a 47k ohm phono stage, the cart will see a reflected impedance of 470 ohms. Nearly all of the...
  21. MyComa13

+1 If you're a cart swapper, it only makes sense that you would have an MC stage that allows you to tailor the gain and loading to each cart. If, however, you are a one-cart kind of guy, then an SUT that matches your cart can make a lot of sense. I have a system that uses a Denon SUT...
  22. MyComa13

Denon DL 103 S on DP 60L

If you don't want to purchase a completely separate MC stage, you could easily use a matching step-up transformer for the 103-S. Any of the Denon SUTs will work, including the currently offered AU-300LC. The older Denon SUTs, such as the AU-310 or AU-320, were actually meant to be paired with...
  23. MyComa13

Second Turntable Reccomendations

There are quite a few vintage tables that aren't full-auto, but do at least have end-of-side arm lift (platter stops and the arm goes up at the end of a side). The tables I've had with that type of functionality that are very, very nice: Yamaha YP-D8, YP-D71 (standard SME type headshells...
  24. MyComa13

Yamaha YP-D8 Turntable - Opinions Please

Definitely worth the effort to fix it up and get it running again. What does it need done, other than a cleaning?
  25. MyComa13

Any custom PL-71's out there?

Funny you should ask... The plinth on mine wasn't in too bad a shape, but the previous owner had glued a dust-bug right on the front and when I removed it, it left a pretty bad scar (shown in the first pic). So I decided to redo the whole thing. This table was very easy to reveneer because...
Back
Top Bottom