Search results

1. AMPHEAD

Pioneer Elite A-71

One more tid-bit about the A-71. Although not listed in the specs of the A-71, it will drive speaker loads down to 2 ohms, which means it pairs well with many speakers, including vintage Magneplanar's. The amp circuit has excellent dynamic headroom and exceeds it's rated 100W per channel...
  2. AMPHEAD

Pioneer Elite A-71

I;m perhaps a bit late responding to this thread, but I own a Pioneer Elite A-71 and I also use to work as a authorized JBL and Altec speaker repair tech. On the issue of the worth of a excellent working condition Elite A-71, the $350-$500 value stated earlier is accurate. I purchased mine in...
  3. AMPHEAD

What juicy turntable????

A bit late to this thread, but on the Kyocera, I have the PL-701 and find it to be a very decent vintage turntable. Well designed and overall they have been very reliable. Make sure the anti-skate weight is included and not missing as they often are.
  4. AMPHEAD

Which 1 is best.

Luxman hands down! I sold these at a Audio store back in the day and they were one of my favorites. I will agree also on the HK as a second choice.
  5. AMPHEAD

Help in recognition of Turntable model

Panasonic ( aka Matsushita ). Also the makers of Technics.
  6. AMPHEAD

Comet Supply - Buyer Beware

Grey market or not, Comet's extremely low price, ($87 for awhile ), combined with reasonably decent customer service, ( at least is was at one time ) made it worth the long waits to receive one. I was lucky and they had them in stock at the time of my order. But $299 now at many vendors ...
  7. AMPHEAD

Denon dp 47f

I had a DP-47F for about 3 years back in the early 2000's. Worked perfectly and I think they are a very decent turntable for the bucks. I liked mine so much that I decided to get a Denon DP-62L, a more robust version of the 47F. Great direct drive turntables with very decent arm performance...
  8. AMPHEAD

Comet Supply - Buyer Beware

Another OK Comet Supply experience here. Ordered my DL-110 back in March and received it in under 2 weeks! Emails were all prompt and from Lisa@ Comet. Surprised to hear of the trouble you're having in receiving a refund or even a reply.
  9. AMPHEAD

To Nak or not to Nak

The Nakamichi SR receivers with the Stasis amp sections do sound good. The Stasis design in these is changed a bit from the original Nelson Pass concept to meet cost objectives, but they still have a nice full low-end and sound precise. And they look cool too! :yes:
  10. AMPHEAD

Suggestions for HOMC cartridges...

Another vote for the Denon DL 110. I love mine, but when the price exceeds $200, the competition gets pretty stiff. The output of the DL-110 is higher than the stated specs from Denon. and I have used it with 3 different MM preamps with good results.
  11. AMPHEAD

Luxman R115 making MUSIC

Congrats on your Luxman R-115. I have had one since 1994 and it has been flawless in it's performance. Do make sure you keep the pots clean ( De-oxit ) and the volume control in particular. Excellent tuner, great warm sounding pre and power sections, and a ok but average sounding phono section.
  12. AMPHEAD

Thanks! (Denon DL-110)

I see in addition to your DL-103, you have a Denon DP-62L listed on your equipment list. I had that combo ( see pic ) using the heavier mass "S" arm and it was my main go to for many years. I agree that the 103 has amazing depth and soundstage. I do however like the extended high frequency...
  13. AMPHEAD

Vintage Nakamichi CA-5 Preamp: Recommended Phono Stage !

stoutblock: Hijack anytime when you post a nude! :yes: The CA-7A interior sure shows it's excellent design and parts quality. The power supplies alone show just what that unit has to offer. My friend did say that the potentiometers are his only complaint. I believe he replaced the volume...
  14. AMPHEAD

Who’s Buying Up All the World’s Vinyl Records?

Or one like this ! :stupid:
  15. AMPHEAD

I'm thinking something like this photo:
  16. AMPHEAD

Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction. :bash:
  17. AMPHEAD

You have a really nice pre in the CA-7A. Just for clarification, mine is the CA-5, not the A version. Opinions from around the web seem to be that the CA-5's phono section (not necessarily the entire preamp) is superior to the A versions. I know the circuit design was changed from the...
  18. AMPHEAD

I recently purchased a Nakamichi CA-5 preamp based on the many positive posts around various audio enthusiast web sites, where owners stated it was worth buying solely on the merits of it's Nelson Pass designed phono section. And they were right. I am blown-away by just how good this phono...
  19. AMPHEAD

Best phono stage for $100?

I second the Cambridge Audio phono pre's also. At $100, it will take a real deal to get the older 640P with Moving Coil input. However, the 540P for Moving Magnet only can be had below $100, and the new 551P for a bit over $100. The new 551P is improved with better parts over the 540P, but...
  20. AMPHEAD

Help me choose. Pioneer Elite, Yamaha, Marantz?

Go for the the Pioneers, but I am biased! I owned the C-91 preamp and currently have a Elite series A-71 integrated, which in essence has a amp section that is a lower powered version of the M91, ( same circuit topology ). It is a very good sounding unit and build quality is superb. The C91 is...
  21. AMPHEAD

Pioneer A-91D, any comments about this amp?

I see the starter post is from 2005, but Daunia 70's post above made mention of the sound being close to that of a SA-9800, and i agree. A friend has the Pioneer SA-9800 and for awhile the A-91D. We had time to compare them side to side and they indeed have a close sonic signature. The A-91D...
  22. AMPHEAD

An Integrated Amplifier to Enter the Big-Time

I have a Pioneer Elite A-71 integrated that I recommend highly. They are built like tanks with premium parts and a beautiful Urushi high gloss finish, with rosewood sides - a real beauty. Sound quality is superb, and the phono section is no slouch either. The beast weighs in at 60 lbs! Rated @...
  23. AMPHEAD

Thanks! (Denon DL-110)

Purchased my DL-110 back in March at the $87 and man I'm glad I did! What a steal of a price that was for this fine cartridge. As others have mentioned, it has a very full, bold, and lively presentation that has great bass, rich mids, and a nice smooth top. It has a nice front to back...
  24. AMPHEAD

Luxman R-113

Your right about it being a bear to re-cap, but I agree it would be worth the time and the expense. It receives light use these days and still performs very well, I'm just dragging my feet on doing it. One of these days ?....:tongue:
  25. AMPHEAD

How big is your plinth?

Remember, size doesn't matter! :naughty:
Back
Top Bottom