Search results

1. Live_Wire

Realistic volume issue

Awesome, good to hear that got it going. Now at least you know it's working and can change the caps and test while you go. :music:
  2. Live_Wire

Realistic volume issue

I would check the speaker protection relay. Have repaired many Realistics with this very problem. Try tapping on the relay, the sound should start crackling. The contacts go bad after a while. You can try and remove the cover and clean them, but the best is to unsolder the relay and clean them...
  3. Live_Wire

Speaker identification?

I'd find out models before going there, if they aren't real and just some white van knock offs, then you could be wasting money. But, on the other hand, $75 could be worthwhile if your interested in re-selling some of the others.
  4. Live_Wire

How to remove stubborn knobs

I was thinking about designing a tool to do the same thing, but that tool looks like it would be way more efficient than my design. That one makes use of a threaded puller design, like a gear puller. This might not be a bad investment for me :)
  5. Live_Wire

I hate Micro Marketing....

I know exactly what you mean. It's the same when it goes for some air conditioning/heating equipment that I work on for a living. That's half the reason I prefer my old 1996 Astro, has the old sealed beam lights. Cost 10 bucks, but is both the high beam/low beam light. Has a trim ring and a...
  6. Live_Wire

Just can't stand modern top 40

Autotune and photoshop. Everything is altered in some way to make it more appealing to the vast majority of the human populace that posses an IQ score less than that of 80. Most drones believe what the corporations say and "go with the flow". It's definitely where the money is. Just remember...
  7. Live_Wire

Is This Actually A Repair?

Personally, I wouldn't accept that. I try to fix as much of my own stuff as I possibly can. I would have either purchased a replacement switch and repaired it myself, or at very least bought a toggle switch and fasted it to the side of the receiver or something like that. A retro-fit if you...
  8. Live_Wire

HPM-100 woofer - surround seperating from cone

Looks like over-driving them to me. The cones look like they were moving beyond the suspension. I'm no expert though, just my opinion.
  9. Live_Wire

Speaker Grill Cloths - On or Off?

I don't really notice a difference with my speakers. I take them off sometimes to see the drivers, but for the most part, they are on the speakers. Keeps the dust off of them.
  10. Live_Wire

Help ID Mom's DIY speakers!

If they're custom, whoever built them did a really nice job. Those are some nice looking speakers, would be interesting to hear what they sound like. Hope someone can help with ID'ing them if they're a name-brand.
  11. Live_Wire

Realistic STA-2000D receiver ...

Awesome amplifier that's for sure. Only 75 WPC but IMO will drive most any speakers. Enjoy it!
  12. Live_Wire

Realistic STA 200D no sound

Definitely is a lot of things to check. Try checking the DC offset and BIAS (I don't think you can check dc offset easily enough without the relay engaging as now you'll be checking at points other than the speaker terminals) I know that an incorrectly setup bias will cause problems. I checked...
  13. Live_Wire

Realistic STA 200D no sound

The protection relay should still click if the jumpers aren't installed IIRC. I guess the first place to start would be to get the service manual from HiFi Engine. I have little to no experience in fixing stereos other than a few that I got working by luck of the draw. Really hope you can get...
  14. Live_Wire

RS Nova 8's & 7B's

Different ohm ratings can wired parallel or series to get the 8 ohm rating. The crossover takes care of that. And from what I have seen, it usually is to get a specific sound. A pair of my speakers have 2 tweeters are wired such that they share the loud but still sound as loud. I imagine it...
  15. Live_Wire

Bedroom AC unit Recommendation

A ductless split unit is a unit that has an indoor air coil (Evaporator) and an outdoor coil (condenser) mounted separately with a lineset (refrigerant piping) running between the two. These are more efficient (though, nowhere near as efficient as a central air unit) than a window shaker...
  16. Live_Wire

Bedroom AC unit Recommendation

Windows shaker or ductless split? I've been installing a lot of the ductless split units lately and I can recommend the Fujitsu units. I hate working on ductless splits (servicing) but they seem to be about the most reliable from what I have seen. That and the Mitsubishi units. I don't know if...
  17. Live_Wire

WTF - An MP3 Ripping Service???

I don't really see a market for that, what with the advent of iTunes Music Store and alternatives. Just buy the music directly in AAC or other portable format.
  18. Live_Wire

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

The new album is badly mixed in my opinion. I've seen the waveforms, and it's horrendously compressed. I hope the LP was mastered better. I ordered it because it's a great album! My friend has the promo copy just in case your curious. She loves it too!
  19. Live_Wire

Which Cutters/Wire strippers Do You Use?

I use Channellock. And older pair I've had for a while, I think the number is 958 or something. As per usual though, they changed them to a smaller handle configuration so now I can't find my style. I've had mine in heavy use for about 4 years and they still work great.
  20. Live_Wire

The BoomCase - WTF?

Just don't try to pack a laptop in one hehe
  21. Live_Wire

2012 Mustang Boss 302

I like the motor, but those rims, omg I hate big rims. They could perform the best in the world, and I would still prefer to have the old style larger sidewall wheels. Driving around in the city doesn't require a high performance car. Last time I checked, my 96 Astro takes a corner no problem...
  22. Live_Wire

Why do my vintage receivers seem so much better

My new Yamaha RX-397 and Teac AG-790 both have respectable output power, but my older Audio Research 30WPC amplifier puts them both to shame in shear power. As for clarity, I think my Yamaha is a little better, but I am dealing with a brand new vs 35 year old comparison. My Realistic...
  23. Live_Wire

Am I Losing It?...

I have had the same experience with an Insignia receiver (Sherwood from what I have read) and a pair of Sony bookshelf speakers. Like you, receiver was about 100 bucks, and speakers were 50 IIRC. Sounded amazing for the cost. I passed it onto a friend of mine because I just didn't have the room...
  24. Live_Wire

Minimus 1 score

Looks pretty cool, if they sound better than the 7's they must sound pretty good. Looking good to :)
Back
Top Bottom