Search results

1. robert_kc

Please Help Identify DeWALD Integrated Tube Amp, and <MYSTERY> tubes

PXL_20230423_210616572 by robert_kc posted Apr 23, 2023 at 4:36 PMPXL_20230423_210410544 by robert_kc posted Apr 23, 2023 at 4:36 PMPXL_20230423_204000492 by robert_kc posted Apr 23, 2023 at 4:36 PMPXL_20230423_185454562.PORTRAIT by robert_kc posted Apr 23, 2023 at 4:36 PMPXL_20230423_185214487...
  2. robert_kc

Fisher 500 and 500C in a System that Blends Vintage with Modern Technology.

I recently upgraded my bedroom system from a mono system. My bedroom system’s previous configuration involved a Fisher TA 500 (1950s era AM/FM mono tube receiver). A Klipsch WF-35 was the single speaker. (This is a very nice-looking slender tower speaker with beautiful wood veneer.) The...
  3. robert_kc

Options for playing digital music ... now that Oppo is out of business

Given that Oppo no longer manufactures products, I may eventually need some solution other than their universal players (e.g., UDP-205). Perhaps another brand of universal player, or a server-based networked solution, or streaming from a service provider. Regarding server-based solutions, I'd...
  4. robert_kc

Adding AC to old house

I’d appreciate any advice about adding central AC to the upstairs of my old house. What should I require contractors to include in their bids? My primary goals: Quiet operation, so that I can enjoy listening to music in summer. (Any ideas on how to minimize noise?) Minimal impact on...
  5. robert_kc

Solution for Elderly: Simple all-in-one music & TV audio. Sonos One? Smart TV? Roku?

I’m looking for an all-in-one music (and possible future TV) solution for my elderly (80+) Mom. (She’s in a distant city. I’m trying to help by doing some research.) I’m not very knowledgeable about the latest hi-tech solutions, and I’ll appreciate guidance. Requirements that I’ve identified...
  6. robert_kc

SINGLE rear amp/speaker for surround sound – Y cable combining L&R rear

I’m currently using the analog RCA line-level outputs from an Oppo BDP-95 universal player for a 2.1 configuration (i.e., front L&R, subwoofer). No AVR - I use vintage tube amps. I’m considering adding a center channel, and 1 speaker for the rear channel. (I don’t have room for 2 rear...
  7. robert_kc

Oppo UDP-205

More information is now available from Oppo about their UDP-205 universal player: http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/
  8. robert_kc

Chairs for people who suffer chronic back pain

I decided to share my experience with chairs because I know that many other people suffer chronic back pain. Several years ago, I bought a new recliner. However, I discovered that - like most chairs- it is uncomfortable to sit in for more than half an hour. Recently I traveled to multiple...
  9. robert_kc

Chromecast Audio and Windows 10 Groove Music audio player for local files

How do I get the “cast” icon added to my Windows 10 Groove Music audio player so that I can play my local music files via my home wi-fi and Chromecast Audio? Background: Windows 10 PC with the Groove Music audio player that came standard (i.e., part of Windows 10) No smartphone or tablet I’m...
  10. robert_kc

Hi-fi Discovery Questions & Shopping Tips

I recently had a friend express interest in acquiring a hi-fi / home theater system. They have little experience with hi-fi. Following are the discovery questions that I drafted. (I’ve also included some comments explaining why I think that a question is important, and in some cases I mention...
  11. robert_kc

5V4G construction differences

I’m curious about the different construction of two 5V4G tubes, one labeled RCA, and the other Sylvania JAN-CHS. It appears the RCA’s plates oppose each other (i.e., in parallel), whereas the Sylvania’s plates are in line with each other? In not a tube expert – I’d appreciate any information...
  12. robert_kc

Specs for new PC – general use + music server

I started a thread approximately 1.5 years ago about a new PC, however I’m still using my Windows XP PC. Sometime by the end of 2016, I plan to replace this PC with a new Windows 10 PC or laptop. I’d appreciate AK members’ input regarding the following specs. (I’m not a computer tech.)...
  13. robert_kc

Pilot SA-260 bias and balance adjustment procedure

I’d appreciate guidance about setting the bias and balance on my Pilot SA-260. I’m not a technician, but I do have a good quality DMM, and I have set the bias and balance on a different amp that has test points on top of the chassis. I see what appear to be test points on top of the SA-260...
  14. robert_kc

robert_kc current systems

Here’s my current systems: Living room: Oppo BDP-95, Dual 1249 with Stanton 681EE, Snell Type CV speakers, a pair of McIntosh MC30s, Scott 296, McIntosh MX110Z / McIntosh MC275, a pair of Pilot HF-56 mono receivers, an NAD pre-amp and Acurus A250 power-amp for movies, and a McIntosh 2155...
  15. robert_kc

MX110Z – cleaning input selector switch

One channel of the phono input on my MX110Z is not making reliable connection. (I have to apply some torque back-and-forth to the input selector knob to get both channels playing.) Before I un-install the MX110Z from my system and haul it to my workbench, I’d appreciate some guidance: How...
  16. robert_kc

PC internal drive for SACD in addition to CD/DVD/Blu-ray

I am shopping for a new PC, and I’m surprised that I can’t find an internal “CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive” for a standard tower PC that will play SACDs (i.e., the SACD layer, not the CD layer of a hybrid disk). I was intending to have my PC be my sole music source in my office, playing CDs, SACDs, Pure...
  17. robert_kc

New PC configuration: general use + music server

I’m not a PC expert – I’d appreciate any feedback about the following PC configuration. My requirements for a new PC: Quiet operation. (This PC will serve as a PC, and music server in my office.) I hate upgrading – I want this PC to last 6 – 8 years. Windows 10 installed No “adware”...
  18. robert_kc

Windows 10 (or Apple) support for hi-res FLAC: PC to tablet, or PC to smartphone

Sometime within the next 6 months I need to buy a new PC. (I’m still running XP.) I’m leaning towards Windows 10, but Apple products are not completely out of the question. I want native hi-res (24bit/192kHz) FLAC support (in addition to WAV and MP3), and the ability for a tablet (or...
  19. robert_kc

Please advise me about buying a new Windows 10 PC for good quality audio

I’d appreciate advice about a forthcoming purchase of a Windows 10 laptop, or possibly a tower PC plus a tablet, and how it could best be used with my existing hi-fi systems. Here’s the short version of my question: Will there be a Windows 10 laptop available yet this year (2015) that features...
  20. robert_kc

Scott LK-150 bias adjustment

My Scott LK150 has a meter, push buttons, and top-mounted pots for bias adjustment. I've never touched the buttons. (The amp had been recapped and is performing great. JJ KT88s installed.) Any thoughts on using the built-in meter? Would it be best to "leave well enough alone" and not rely...
  21. robert_kc

MC275 Mk V’s 12AT7s flash upon power up

My MC275 Mk V was just professionally serviced, and all voltage levels are OK. After the amp was checked out my tech installed a complete new tube set that I bought from Jim McShane, including NOS Mullard 12AT7s. The amp functions OK, however I’m concerned because when it's switched on there...
  22. robert_kc

Modern replacement 12AX7 and 12AT7 tubes for MC275 Mk V

I’m in the market for modern replacement 12AX7 and 12AT7 tubes for my MC275 Mk V. (One of the original KT88s failed, so I just ordered a matched quad of JJ KT88s with 24 hour burn-in.) I use the balanced audio inputs on the amp, so I understand that the V1 tube isn’t as critical as the V2/V5...
  23. robert_kc

Does anyone drive an MC275 Mk VI directly from an Oppo BDP-105 (i.e., no preamp)?

The reason I ask is that I sometimes drive my Scott LK-150 power amp directly from my Oppo BDP-105, using the Oppo’s variable output to control the volume, and I’m very pleased with the sound. I’m wondering about how well the Oppo’s variable output would drive the MC275. Also, I’m curious if...
  24. robert_kc

Fisher X-1000 (EL34) User's Manual

Can anyone point me to a source for Operating Instructions for the Fisher X-1000 (EL34)? Thanks
  25. robert_kc

KT-66 based stereo integrated amps

Please provide recommendations for KT-66 based stereo integrated amps with tone controls. Thanks
Back
Top Bottom