Search results

1. F

Anyone Used The Seos 30? Because I'm getting ideas....

I've recently come into some money, some of which will be spent on an insane pair of DIY speakers. Also, Crowley Acoustics, my ill-fated attempt to market high-efficiency speakers, deserves, potentially, a cool new prototype I can truck around to various peoples' houses. (MRHardy was the...
  2. F

JBL 4311 Woofer Help, Please

Dear Penthouse: I never thought I'd be writing you, but .... OK, the truth is, last week my garbage-picking basement-dwelling housemate Diane bought home a single JBL 4311B. My only JBL to date are the bookshelf-sized L1s which are nice ... but my Dahlquist M905s are nicer. (OH yeah - the...
  3. F

BIC 890 help

A Bic 890 recently came to me. But it's DOA. Belt is connected. Any help troubleshooting would be appreciated - looks like a decent re-intro to vinyl.
  4. F

Price Help - Nordost Blue Heavens

I've got a five meter (15') pair of Blue Heaven Flatline interconnects that's been sitting in the close for a decade and a half. It's easy to find comps for the shorter pairs, but ... what do you think is fair for these? Complication - they've got some creases in them from somebody folding...
  5. F

Easy IRS2092 Sure AA-AB32291 build?

My first exposure to chip amps was very promising, but I need more power. IRS2092 boards are available cheap on eBay and get good reviews, but does know of a pre-assembled power supply? My soldering/assembly skills are not the greatest; medication has left me with permanent hand jitter. TIA.
  6. F

Abletec Anaview Amp Modules - Anyone Know Where To Buy Them?

Does anyone have a current 3/20/2017 source for a Abletec Anaview amp modules? Profusion in the UK is no longer handling them.
  7. F

Help Me Identify Cap values On This Xover Board photo

Hi. I'm the proud-ish owner of Dahlquist M905s. I've thought about ordering the capacitor upgrade from Regnar, but then I saw this photo of the boards and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what caps I need based on what's written on the yellow caps. 10K uf seems extreme, doesn't it...
  8. F

Nordost Blue Heaven interconnects

Question: what's a fair price for a late 90s/early 2000s pair of Nordost Blue heaven interconnects? (RCA, not balanced). eBay's sold listings is useful, to a point ... these are 4 meters long, and I'm not sure how one extrapolates from the prices of 1 or 2 meter pairs. Looks like that would...
  9. F

Kwape - AB International Four Ten

It's playing. Packing was absolutely bomb-proof. It got here promptly, and sounds great. Kwape was great to deal with. 10/10 would recommend.
  10. F

Hartford CT to Hawthorne NJ

Hi - anyone going from Hartford CT to North Jersey (Hawthorne, zip 07506) or from Boston to North Jersey? Cargo would be a pair of panel speakers. I'll cover gas, tolls.
  11. F

Is Paris Hilton an AKer?

Don't laugh. Apparently Paris Hilton likes to restore old radios. Presumably the "burning smell" from her work room is the wonderful smell of solder/rosin. So it's not much a leap to assume she might be a member here, too. Paris, if you're here, let it be known I never assumed you were the...
  12. F

Help Identifying this Musical Fidelity A100 Version

Hi. I recently got an MF A100. I opened it up because I couldn't hear the fan, and that's supposed to be a sure fire prelude to FIERY DEATH for these hot-running Class A beasties. So I opened it up, and sure enough there's a single (A100s had 2) fan, and it does work. My (totally inexpert...
  13. F

Musical Fidelity A100 - First Impressions

Swayed by a number of positive on-line comments (I didn't notice all the ones critiquing reliability until it was too late), I pulled the trigger on an A100 here in BT. It arrived this morning and has been playing for about 90 minutes. Is it "the best integrated amp in the world" as one...
  14. F

Vintage Cover Equipment ID

The speakers are JBL - you can tell by the "!" What's the rest of it, though - my vintage-fu isn't strong enough
  15. F

Fisher 460A - What Do You Think?

Confession: I've never heard any of the classic Fisher tube amps. I have an opportunity to buy a 460A that's been refreshed, but won't be able to audition it. So ... what does it sound like? I'm not a fan of "traditional" tube sound, which I associate with rolled-off highs and somewhat...
  16. F

George Wright WLA10 Help

I've got a George Wright WLA10 line stage. Appears to be in good condition. But no tubes and no documentation. This is his original model - I think it used mostly TV sweep tubes? Also, I think there were metal shields around two of the tubes, originally ... not sure about that, either. Any...
  17. F

How Do I Contact the AK Admin?

How do I contact Ak's administrator? I'm a subscriber, but as of today, Bartertown isn't appearing for me. ETA: Please don't respond to this thread - problem is solved. Thanks, everyone who responded.
  18. F

Anyone Using JBL L1's with tubes?

I've never seen an impedance graph for these? Are they hard to drive? In my small 10x11x9 listening room, the loudest peaks I've measure are around 86-88db. So in theory, even a 2a3 SET would work. In theory. I'd like smoother highs and more liquidity. Who's using these, and what you...
  19. F

Trying Math Audio Room EQ

So ... I've always had bass issues in my office / listening space. Today I got my act together, hooked up my Radio Shack spl meter, installed MathAudio Room EQ for Foobar 2000, the appropriate microphone calibration file, and ran setup. The measurement results didn't surprise me: huge...
  20. F

New To Me JBL L1s

I recently won a pair of JBL L1's on eBay. It wasn't a scroe, per se, but less than a hundred bucks, including the shipping. They arrived yesterday, and immediately replaced the KEF Corellis in my 10x11 listening room/home office/supervillain lair. The rest of my system is as in my signature...
  21. F

Best Sounding Bipolar Electrolytics?

Having sold my Spendors, the KEF Corellis are back in rotation, and will be until late this fall. While the Spendors are clearly better speakers, the KEFs have a warmer overall balance, and the sealed cabinet bass doesn't excite room nodes as much as the Spendors did. But gosh, the T27 is...
  22. F

What do you think of these Heathkits?

There are a pair of Heathkit W3s for sale in another forum. I'm REALLY tempted by these ... but I'm not a Heath expert. What does the AK hive mind think? http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Amplifier-Tube/Heathkit/W3/Mono-tube-amp-pair-REDUCED-PRICE/99929
  23. F

Talk To Me About Urei Monitors

Last night I heard a set of Urei 809s (driven by a McIntosh 275/c11 combo) and I was shocked - shocked - at how ... inoffensive they were. This is not damming with faint praise; most modern hi-fi speakers sound too bright to me.. Don't know why, but I expected them to be real ear bleeders, and...
  24. F

North Jersey to the New England AKfest?

This would be to carry an amp from me to gigbyt. TIA.
  25. F

Any using Aloia amplification?

What can I say - I'm a sucker for massive outboard power supplies, and there's one for sale on another forum. There's next to nothing in English available, except for a review on Soundstage. Anybody here using one? With what speakers? The designer has a web page in Italian - kinda...
Back
Top Bottom