Search results

1. G

Adcom GFP-565

Gary Galo had an article about upgrading the GFP-565 in four parts, from the November 2003 issue of AudioXpress through February 2004. There was also a followup in the December 2004 issue. Worth chasing down if you can find copies.
  2. G

Audio Amateur Mag owners -- looking for help with "The Last PAS"

I checked and there's nothing about the Last PAS in those two issues. Are you sure you've got the date of the issues right? ---Gary
  3. G

Joined the LS3/5A Club

Fairlane - thanks for sharing the back story. I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing and kudos to you for taking care of your mother. Regarding the speakers, I've always been interested in LS3/5a's but I've been scared off by the price. I chatted with the original seller last year but...
  4. G

Joined the LS3/5A Club

By any chance are these the speakers now for sale on Craigslist? ---Gary
  5. G

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

Listening to the local classical station in the SF Bay area - KDFC. Current program is "From the Top", with some amazing young musicians performing at Bowdoin College in Bruswick, Maine. And just today I pulled my McIntosh MR78 out from storage and hooked it up again. I forgot how good it...
  6. G

The Absolute Sound Issue 90 - where to find?

I've got a copy and just made a PDF taking photos with my camera. It's too large to upload. PM me with your address and I'll email it to you. ---Gary
  7. G

Joined the LS3/5A Club

Congrats on the new (to you) LS3/5a speakers. I saw these for sale on the craigslist and was mightily tempted. I think he has another pair still for sale but I have too many speakers already. But these are classics. Enjoy them! ---Gary
  8. G

Looking for Audio Amateur Jan 1983 back issue

David, Is that your site? It's fantastic! If you need to borrow some of the missing Audio Amateur issues, I'd be glad to lend them to you. Thanks, ---Gary
  9. G

2a3 schematic

I have one of these which I like quite a bit: http://www.wavelengthaudio.com/SP-BabyO.PDF ---Gary
  10. G

I will never be the same...

Definitely worth the trip, especially since you're relatively close. You should also arrange to visit the McIntosh factory, which is a short drive from Audio Classics. If you plan ahead you can probably get a tour. I did that a decade ago and still have very fond memories of it. ---Gary
  11. G

Audio Engine B1, Experience?

I don't think that you'll regret it. You might ask them for a show discount. I went to an audio show in Los Angeles and they were offering a reasonable discount at the show. But they didn't actually sell them at the show. They just sent them to you from the factory and they said they'd honor...
  12. G

Audio Engine B1, Experience?

I agree. I've got one which I use in the stereo in my work room and it sounds quite good. I stream bluetooth from my iphone and use it to listen to internet radio stations or siriusxm. Highly recommended. ---Gary
  13. G

Looking for Audio Amateur Jan 1983 back issue

Bob, Did you ever find this? If not, I've probably got a copy in my library. Ping me. ---Gary
  14. G

Looking for electric vacuum de-soldering sucker

I bought a ZD915 desoldering station from Marlin Jones for $120 and it works great. Very similar to the one in the EEVblog but a bit cheaper. I also wonder why I didn't buy one of these earlier. ---Gary
  15. G

How to get rid of smoke smell

In addition to the good advice above about cleaning up residue with ammonia and water and/or other gentle cleaners, I've had good experience following up with Febreze air freshener. It's very effective in neutralizer the remaining smoke smell. ---Gary
  16. G

Do you keep old audio magazines?

It's actually a 3 part set from Dec 96, Jan 97, and Feb 97. I've got the Dec and Jan issues. Let me know if you want a scan of those articles. ---Gary
  17. G

Best way to learn electronics.

The military put together some good training films over the years, many of which can be found on youtube. Search on youtube for the term "us air force electronics training film" and you'll find quite a selection. Not necessarily a replacement for the great Navy Electricity and Electronics...
  18. G

Denon Dp45f running backwards

According to the service manual IC12 - uPC78M05H - this is a very standard 78M05 part, you can also use a 7805 D9, D10 - rv06 - not sure what this is but from the schematic these are used as standard rectifiers. You can replace it with a 1N4001 or other similar diode. ---Gary
  19. G

Michael Percy - MIA?

I've bought parts from Michael Percy many times and always had a good experience. He runs a one man shop, so he's occasionally out of the office and not responsive for a day or two. But he's always given me a bill for what I wanted and then shipped promptly when I sent money via paypal. The...
  20. G

Bogen MO-100A's

The latest issue of Audio Express (May 2015) has an article about modifying/updating the MO100a. It's not very detailed but the key idea is to replace the hard to find 8417 output tubes with EL34s. The bias supply is rebuilt and adjusted to provide bias consistent with EL34 operating points...
  21. G

HH Scott 299 re-cap

Often you can increase the capacitance in the power supply when doing a rebuild and you'll get sonic benefit. The one area you need to be careful is with the capacitors right after a tube rectifier. A really big capacitor at this location can draw a lot of current when you first turn the amp...
  22. G

HH Scott 299 re-cap

If you're restuffing the cans, then you have it right. The two positive leads go to the center pins while common grounds go to the outside ring. ---Gary
  23. G

HH Scott 299 re-cap

A couple of years ago, I did a pretty complete restoration of my late model 299 and documented the work pretty thoroughly. Here's a link to the post where I described what I did in terms of replacing the electrolytic capacitors...
  24. G

MC-30 the best Mac Tube Amp??

There's a good article over at Positive Feedback discussing one reviewers experience with MC30, MC225, and MC240 amps. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue77/vintage_mcintosh_experience.htm There's also a short thread about the article here on the McIntosh forum...
  25. G

looks like I have found a good Capacitor analyzer

For a bit more money, you can find the DER EE DE-5000 LCR meter. These will set you back around $85 shipped from Japan on ebay. It will measure larger value capacitors than the $20 one linked earlier and also measures inductors, which is handy. It's a very high quality meter for a low budget...
Back
Top Bottom