Search results

1. donprice

Dead HDMI? Fine, use it for 2 channel...

Just a friendly reminder that dead HDMI boards probably don't affect 2 channel performance. Networked AVRs (Yamaha Aventage line and similar) can be controlled via app on phone or tablet...so you don't need working HDMI for control and it beats trying to use the front panel display.
  2. donprice

My secrets to audio happiness

I've never compared the sound of various brands of caps. I've never swapped interconnects or power cables and listed for a difference (except to make something work that wasn't). I've never owned a turntable so I've never tried to tweak one or clean vinyl. I've never swapped components or...
  3. donprice

HDMI in to HDMI & component out?

Looking for a converter/splitter that will split an HDMI signal to HDMI & component video/audio (optical/coax digital and analog stereo?). I can find HDMI to component converters and HDMI audio strippers but I'm looking for a box that does both. My goal it to take my HDMI Fire TV and use it as...
  4. donprice

budget wireless noise cancelling/reducing headphones

My apologies if this has been asked before. I'm looking for some budget ($50-$100?) wireless headphones for wearing in the gargage/yard that can do double duty for music and modest hearing protection. I don't plan to crank up the music to drown out the table saw...but listening to a...
  5. donprice

Budget XLR cable suggestions

I may upgrade my AVR to pre/pro with balanced outputs so cable shopping will be part of the equation. I'll need 8 cables so $15-$30/cable sounds like a good place to start. DIY suggestions also appreciated since 4 cables will be XLR female to Phoenix connectors. Quality construction and...
  6. donprice

JBL Pro crossover schematic simplification - need a little help

I'm building a copy of a JBL STX812M. It is for home use (home theater center channel) so I don't need the bi-amp switch. Unfortunately I'm getting lost in bi-amp switch when trying to figure out how where to connect HF- and LF-. I may also be lost on driver polarity. The red box in the...
  7. donprice

"automatic" crossover design for miniDSP 2x4?

I have some components for a 2-way ewave-ish speaker and a miniDSP 2x4. I understand the basic process of measuring the drivers, loading the FRD & ZMA files into something like WinPCD, and manually entering cap, coil, and resistor values to generate woofer, tweeter, and combined response...
  8. donprice

JBL 2269H subwoofer build

The title pretty much says it all. I decided I needed to "upgrade" my JBL B460 and eventually pulled the trigger on a new 2269H driver. It is quite the beast though in hindsight I probably should have ordered the 4 ohm 2269G version. The basic plan was to build something similar to the JBL...
  9. donprice

Altec PA gear auction - Frankfort KY

No affiliation...just found by accident. https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=650&acctid=6897 Hope someone finds this useful.
  10. donprice

New JBL in the house

The wife was complaining about not being able to hear the TV, I mean home theater system, while in the kitchen. Of course my response was to tell her simply turn up the volume. Seemed pretty reasonable to me given that the great-room layout effectively makes the kitchen the second row of the...
  11. donprice

cheap ($50?) pre-amp for PC to powered monitors?

Looking for suggestions for a cheap pre-amp to install between the line-out on my PC and a pair of powered monitors. Yes, I know I don't "need" one but I really want to be able to grab a volume knob and twist it rather than fumble with the volume control in the PC software or the level controls...
  12. donprice

opinions on PxxxxS series pro amps?

I'm thinking about adding a pair of pro power amps to drive my home theater speakers and wanted some opinions regarding the relatively new Yamaha PxxxxS series (P2500S, P3500S, P5000S, and P7000S). I'm interested in how they compare to the older P series amps regarding SQ and build quality...
  13. donprice

CR-220 input selector switch cleaning?

I need some tips on fixing/cleaning a dirty input selector switch. I've have a can of deoxit but haven't opened up the case to try it yet. Any tips or suggestions on the proper way to clean it? Just blast it? Thanks! Don
  14. donprice

JBL B460 value?

Title says it all. Details....good but not excellent veneer condition....JBL 2245 with recent JBL recone...no BX63 crossover...DIY grill frame with black cloth. Base (plinth?) has had water damage repaired... Opinions :scratch2:
  15. donprice

need JBL B380 grill dimensions & photos

I gave my brother a JBL B380 subwoofer 10 or 12 years ago. The grill covers were long gone and we simply covered the driver a pro-audio style mesh grill. Now it is time to do it right. I would call my brother for this info but that would ruin the surprise part of the gift. Lots of B380 photos...
  16. donprice

JBL 2241H DIY recone - need help & advice

Let's skip the "only use official JBL recone kits by a certified JBL service center" debate. That horse has already been beaten to death. For the record, some of my personal gear has been rebuilt genuine JBL (2245H, 2x L100 mids & tweets) and some have been aftermarket by pros (2235H & 2x...
  17. donprice

cabinet/port tuning - WT3/DATS vs modeling

I working on some cabinets using the Eminence Deltalite 2510 woofer. Since these are for surround duty I was shooting for a smallish vented enclosure with an F3 of 60 Hz. That just happens to be the first suggested design from Eminence...
  18. donprice

Dirty Monkey Coffins

I spotted some dirty monkey coffins last week while looking at some industrial equipment. Given the layer of dirt on them I am surprised I even tried to pull off the grills and check to see what they were. The owner said he had them since they were new and he knew they were worth real $. $75...
  19. donprice

budget sub - Infinity 1260w & Bash 300S

Well, this is sort of an accidental DIY subwoofer build. It all started when I was messing around with some Duratex on a PA speaker cabinet project and started looking for other stuff to put the Duratex on. This is actually a great idea after several beers. :yes: It just so happened that I had...
  20. donprice

inductor - converting air core to iron?

I pulled some 1.4 mH air-core inductors from an old crossover for re-use. Is there any reason to not put a large bolt or stack of pennies through the center to increase the inductance to say 2.0 mH? I have an inductance meter so experimenting to get the right value is no problem. The coil will...
  21. donprice

roll your own inductors?

How much trouble is it to roll your own inductors in the 1 to 5 mH range? I've got the RLC (?) meter for measuring inductance so that is half the battle...I think. I'm not really trying to save money, mostly trying to avoid waiting. Any suggestions on wire sources (16-18 gauge?) and...
  22. donprice

transplant - old advent drivers into 25th anniversary cabs

Years ago my brother found some old advents for $10 at a yard sale. Cabs trashed, no grills, but all drivers working. Not sure which model except they are old and have the fried egg tweeters and the masonite woofers. Yesterday I picked up a pair of empty 25th anniversary cabs including the...
  23. donprice

custom JBL 2206 ewave testing

Many months ago I sent GordonW a trashed JBL 2206 for a custom recone something like the "2236" frankenspeakers he worked up for another member. The goal was to drop the Fs and get more bottom end out of it and make it a budget-friendly high performance ewave woofer. From WT3 testing... Fs...
  24. donprice

another ewave build

Recycled JBL L36 boxes. 5 coats wipe on satin poly after a very light sanding. The gloss black lacquer looks better in person without a flash...but getting it right with a rattle can may be asking too much. Got to be a better way... B&C 10HPL51 (neo) Selenium D220Ti >95 dB...
  25. donprice

amp troubleshooting & repair books?

Can someone suggest a good book (or web site) for learning the basics of amplifier troubleshooting and repair? Reading the CS-800 repair thread has really peaked my curiosity. My brother is always running across dead or half-dead pro audio and guitar amps so.... I should probably quit now...
Back
Top Bottom