Search results

1. bimasta

Bimasta's DIY Tonearm

The Bimasta BS1 DIY Tonearm For those that missed my previous post in another thread, i'm making a dedicated post of my dad Bimasta's self-built tonearm he built in South Africa in the 1980's. I'm calling it the BS1 (Bima Stagg 1), pretty sure that's what he would have called it :) If this is...
  2. bimasta

Tonearm ID? Black and gold plate? Belonged to my dad Bimasta

Hi AK, trying to get an ID on this very pretty tonearm that belonged to my dad (Bimasta). Can any of you knowledgable folks help me out? Note: As some of you know my pop – known on AK as Bimasta, passed away. I'm posting on his account as this community was one of his favorite places on the...
  3. bimasta

Bimasta Hifi Estate Sale

Hi, first off I offer my sincerest condolences on the loss of your Father. Now, I'm sorry to have to say this, but, the AK rules specifically state that all offers of stuff for sale must be posted in "Barter Town" only, with no exceptions. To access Barter Town you must be a subscriber, which...
  4. bimasta

LINN LP12 PULLEY

I asked this question a couple years ago, but forgot the answer. Will someone who has an LP12 do me a small favor — measure the distance from the center of the Linn's Motor Pulley, to the center (spindle) of the Inner Platter? I have all the parts that I need of a Linn TT to make one, but I...
  5. bimasta

SPEAKER SURROUND PREVENTIVE CARE

I just got new, replacement surrounds for some subwoofers; I haven't installed them yet. I want to prevent them from rotting. That means "sealing" them somehow. I can see just by looking at them that they're a fairly open-cell type of foam – and that means they won't last long. Past experience...
  6. bimasta

MICRO SEIKI DDX / DQX FEET

The feet of my DQX-1000 gave up the ghost years ago. There's never been a good substitute, except for DIY, usually using Vibrapods that turn to goop. Now there are TWO brands making new feet specifically designed for these classic TTs. One is in Italy, the other in US. They're different. The...
  7. bimasta

FRANKEN–CARTRIDGES

I had a NOS Grace F8, predecessor to the illustrious F9 series. According to Grace, it was identical internally to the F9, only the external look was changed. I once owned several F9 cartridges (the F9E, Ruby, and other models) but they were stolen in a burglary in Africa. It left a bad taste...
  8. bimasta

HORN QUESTION

I made some DIY speakers using the JBL 077 tweeters and LE-85 midranges (with H-91 horns). My question is about time-alignment (aka phase-alignment). It's fairly easy to line up the drivers in a conventional dynamic speaker — slope the baffle so the points where the sounds originate are in a...
  9. bimasta

SME 3009 II IMPROVED ANTI-SKATE WEIGHT

I lost the little weight that hangs from the rod+pulley — SME calls it the "Bias Weight". I have the rod+pulley it dangles from, I'll just have to duplicate the weight (mass). Will one of the SME owners here kindly put your weight on a scale, and help me out? A stylus downforce scale (VTF)...
  10. bimasta

TANDBERG 3012A MAKES LIFE WORTHWHILE

I just got this off the Bay. The Seller honestly disclosed its problems, and I got it at a great price. After some First Aid, it seems to work well now. I've only tested the Digital Input so far, and it's spectacular. I look forward to trying the MM/MC — I have a separate/standalone Phono Stage...
  11. bimasta

LCD DISPLAY TOO DIM TO SEE

I have two nice CDPs — Marantz CD-5000; and Pioneer PD-CD. Borh are mint, and sound excellent. But the LED display showing which track is playing, elapsed time, etc, is too dim to read even up close; almost invisible. This afflicts both units. I went through all circuits in the Pioneer looking...
  12. bimasta

FOSGATE AUDIONICS POWER AMP — HOW TO BRIDGE??

I used to run the old Audionics of Oregon CC-2 power amps in bridged mode. Power increased from 75W to 225W, and the amps sounded better too. My Quad 63 'statics loved them. Rockford-Fosgate bought Audionics, and the CC-2. Bridging the CC-2 was easy, wiring instructions were printed on the...
  13. bimasta

TANDBERG 3001 BOGGLES THE MIND !!!

No, I don't mean the Tandberg's great sound. I got this tuner 15 years ago, with the pre + power, all silver-face, at a Thrift shop, all for 1 Benjamin. I brought all 3 up slowly on a Variac. Power amp worked fine, Pre only had one channel. As expected, the Tuner's Preset Buttons didn't work...
  14. bimasta

JBL 15" QUESTION

Can anyone guesstimate the sensitivity of an LE-15B 15" Woofer (from an L-200B Studio Master)? It matched pretty well with an LE-85 + H91 horn in that speaker, and the LE-85 is very sensitive, about 105dB according to something I found online. I'm using the LE-85s now in a homebrew speaker, but...
  15. bimasta

VOICE COIL CONUNDRUM

I just received two midrange drivers, 3-inch domes from SEAS, but identical to the Vifa DM75 (which I also use). I got them from an Ebay seller who assured me both are working. However, one of them is dead. When connected to the speaker/crossover, it's dead — a Vifa DM75 connected to the same...
  16. bimasta

JBL LE15 B — WHY ARE THEY BAD?

I have a nice pair of JBL LE15B woofers. I kept them from a pair of L200 "Studio Master" speakers which I really liked, but were too big to fit in my new home (and the cabs too beat-up to fix without a major big-time-consuming commitment). I see that the LE15A speaker is in high demand and...
  17. bimasta

AMP QUESTION: USING STEREO AMPS AS MONOBLOCKS

I have 2 pairs of Stereo amps, and would like to use one pair as mono amps, with increased power. One pair are Museatex CAS-100 (100WPC), high-end amps — the other are Alesis RA-100 (75WPC), pro studio amps. Remarkably, given the difference in price and pedigree, they sound identical. But the...
  18. bimasta

WAF WTF ??

"Darling... get your ass in here NOW!"
  19. bimasta

HEIL AMT DATA THREAD

There've been several threads recently about the remarkable Heil AMT, in all it's forms, so I thought I'd try to start one dedicated to them. There've been entries about restoring the old ones, and about their recent revival by the original maker ESS. Also the patent expired, and so many...
  20. bimasta

HEIL AMT DATA THREAD

There've been several threads recently about the remarkable Heil AMT, in all it's forms, so I thought I'd try to start one dedicated to them. There've been entries about restoring the old ones, and about their recent revival by the original maker ESS. Also the patent expired, and so many new...
  21. bimasta

UNKNOWN (T0 ME) ARCHIVE

Back issues of "Wireless World", from 1997 all the way back to 1939. This material may be available elsewhere, even everywhere, and I just didn't know. But it's new to me — and fascinating reading. http://www.keith-snook.info/wireless-world-magazine/wireless-world-articles.html
  22. bimasta

CREATIVE DESIGN IN AUDIO

Found this in my inbox. I suppose they make a statement about society today — but despite themselves, beauty creeps in, if you scroll down... Click on any image, and a whole new page appears, you can scroll for hours. Though I don't recommend it. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/685180530796349681/
  23. bimasta

LOW-PASS FOR WOOFER?

This may be a dumb question, but I'm a rank amateur when it comes to crossovers. Thiele and Small could be a comedy act for all I know, like Key and Peele. Years ago I had two UK 2-ways, from Ariston and ProAc. Both used the simplest of crossovers: a single cap to stop low frequencies from...
  24. bimasta

Vandersteen 2CE Sound Discussion

Beautifying the boring Oak veneers probably kills the resale price. Potential buyers drool over the new elegant look and can't wait to show the S.O., but say "YOU RUINED THEM!". My 2C's have NO resale value, and I don't like them, and I'm stuck with them. The Bass may spec well but has no...
  25. bimasta

DIN PLUG?

Is this a standard 5-Pin DIN 180° socket? It's in the base of a tonearm (Odyssey RPG2). I need the matching male plug, as I have to make a new cable. Most tonearms now use a smaller, special DIN designed for tonearms, but the Odyssey uses this one, and a normal tonearm cable doesn't make a good...
Back
Top Bottom