Search results

1. N05J3W3

Please help an audio Luddite with the migration to digital...

That certainly meets the 'simplicity' criteria.
  2. N05J3W3

Thanks, guys. This is a LOT to process, but it feels like I'm on the right track now. Much appreciated.
  3. N05J3W3

This looks like something that might be suitable. So, LMS running on the Raspberry Pi [or, I assume, a surplus laptop] and connected to my home wifi ? I could store music files on NAS or on the computer, I assume? And, yes, lots of phones and tablets here. I'm just not a huge fan of them...
  4. N05J3W3

Thanks 4-2-7. That looks promising. I would have to control the system from a computer, though, correct?
  5. N05J3W3

Hi, E-Stat. Yes, I realize I may have to adapt on that one. Something like an iPad Mini might not be too bad.
  6. N05J3W3

Hi, everyone. My name is David, and I’m an audio Luddite. [response: Hi, David…] I need your help. I have an older 2-channel system I like [NAD receiver and CDP, Canton sub/sat speakers] but I would like to move from CDs to playing digital files. I find that I am only accessing a portion of...
  7. N05J3W3

A-Z Occupations

Crow Counter.
  8. N05J3W3

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Chris Rea's Road to Hell, on Canton S and Canton Plus C.
  9. N05J3W3

Miles Davis Sketches of Spain Original Mono or Mofi Version?

I'd suggest owning and enjoying both. Seriously. Look at it as the audio equivalent of a really fine photograph: a beautiful image interpreted by two master printmakers, each with its own merits and perspective. By listening to both works, comparing and contrasting, they two can say a lot about...
  10. N05J3W3

Mcintosh MA 5100 for free...

Firstborn? I mean, it *is* McIntosh.... Just sayin'.
  11. N05J3W3

Over-ear headphone suggestions for a thrifty traditionalist?

Having read through many reviews and manufacturer websites, I'm still uncertain on an upgrade path for my current setup, and would appreciate advice from more experienced members of the AK community. I'm looking for closed or semi-closed 'phones that deliver audio quality in terms of...
  12. N05J3W3

How long will analog FM / AM radio broadcasting continue?

In Canada.... ...the CBC [especially Radio2] provides a level of public radio that, along with public health care, is a high point of citizenship. Let's hope it's sustainable.
  13. N05J3W3

ideas for a minimalist desktop/office setup?

That would be ideal, but aren't they rather rare? I see a few on That Auction Site, but shipping seems high and I'm unlikely to find one close to home. Still, that would be just about perfect. That, and the Minimus 7's. <g>
  14. N05J3W3

I've looked at the Atoms... ...but not sure they'd fit my bare-bones budget for this project. As for the 7's, they'd probably suffice, if I could find some locally. I had a pair back in the early 80's but don't have fond memories of them.
  15. N05J3W3

I like the idea of the SOny HD tuner, but... ...I'm in Canada. No HD here, or on the way AFAIK.
  16. N05J3W3

Before I shop for a compact system to use in my office, I thought I'd look for other options. I'd like to be able to listen to FM and CDs at low volume, and favour realistic reproduction over extreme frequency response. The advantage of a compact system would be the limited desktop real estate...
  17. N05J3W3

does a 'homegrown' AK test/demo CD exist?

also see www.testsounds.com/ with an alternate range of tones
  18. N05J3W3

Thanks, JimJ, these are an interesting start. Not sure *where* to start, but this seems like a good beginning. Thanks.
  19. N05J3W3

Before I consider purchasing the Stereophile test CD, I thought I'd check to see if a downloadable 'homegrown' alternative exists at AK. I'm looking for test tones, etc. Nothing seems to turn up in a quick search of the archives. Has this ever been offered? :scratch2:
  20. N05J3W3

NAD + Canton = good pairing? Advice sought...

good point, dumptruck... ...not sure what that'd look like, but certainly worth consideration.
  21. N05J3W3

Sounds like my next step are stands, but... ... finding the Canton 'LS' stands that fit the Plus S has been very difficult. The few I can track down are absurdly priced, even prior to shipping. I expect I'll design and build something a little better that the stamped steel, anyway. I'd go to...
  22. N05J3W3

Great advice - thanks Thanks, all. This is useful. MikeO: Yes, I seem to recall reading about some sort of connection between ADS and Canton. The designs do seem similar in a few cases. Chadnliz and dumptruck: agreed - the smaller room size probably mitigates the shortcomings in the...
Back
Top Bottom