Search results

1. R

Loss of volume?

^Just what I was going to say. Is it both channels at the same time? Does the volume stay quieter, or does it come back by itself? Do you have to fiddle with the volume control to make it bounce back? --Rich
  2. R

CD Green Rings on sale

^So? Does this mean that errors cannot be made when reading the disc? A light down the road is either on, or off - just like the information on a CD. But it doesn't mean I can't make a mistake when judging which light is actually on, especially from a distance. When it's foggy... I don't...
  3. R

what are the best "bang for your buck" capacitors ?

Well, I needed to order some bits and bobs, and took the opportunity to buy some budget capacitors to recap my Kenwood KA-3020SE - Rubycon ZA and ZL, Panasonic FC, and some Vishay polyesters for bypassing. Can't comment on them individually, but they certainly cleaned up the sound over the Elna...
  4. R

Monster wire improved my sound- inconceivable!

Nothing up with Monster cable. For the price, you get decent quality cable that won't sound at all bad on virtually any setup. Changing cables only changes the final 1-5% or so of the sound, in my experience anyway :). As with everything else, there comes a point where nothing is really any...
  5. R

Speaker wire - opinions ?

Cor, my bad. You're absolutely right. Gold is the best heat reflector, hence its use in the engine bay of the McLaren F1. --Rich
  6. R

Speaker wire - opinions ?

^Gold is the best heat conductor. :) I have a pair of quite nice Rogers LS7 speakers, fed from a Kenwood KA-3020SE amplifier. I've never really believed that cable makes any difference - I purchased 8m per speaker of Monster cable many years ago, to replace the cotton-like cable on some...
  7. R

Plugging 110V power strip into 220V -- boom?

Put a small fuse on the plug to the extension. Turn it on at the mains socket from a distance - you'll soon see if it works okay! :) --Rich
  8. R

Cheapo non-speaker speaker cables... if you follow!

I've done a bit more tinkering, and can now say, without any shadow of a doubt, this cable is far, far better than my 'Monster substitute'. I've doubled-up, so am using 2x7.5m runs to my LH speaker, and it's just bloody terrific! There was nothing wrong with the sound before - absolutely...
  9. R

I take this back - my cheap and nasty multimeter measures 0.7ohms with just the two probes touching. However, I can confirm that the power cable does sound different. It's only slight, and this is on my LS7 speakers, which are very revealing. Everything sounds the same - bass, treble...
  10. R

Right, got some cable. Have literally just plugged it in. Didn't go for the 30A cable in the end. Problem is that the cables have solid cores, and I didn't figure it'd fit through the binding posts on my Rogers. I was right - bought 20A cable, and it only just fitted! Measured resistance of...
  11. R

Didn't have a chance to buy any cable today, should get some tomorrow. Quite looking forward to seeing the results :). --Rich
  12. R

Many thanks! I'm back to being member 749, rather than 12346 :). ozmoid - I've had a read of cat5 based cables in the past, but mainly for interconnects. I don't have any spare lying around anymore, and I'd probably pay around £1 per metre in town. Might order some the next time I make an...
  13. R

Wahey! I've just realised I had an account on here ages ago! Mr Super Moderator, kind sir, would it be possible to get the two accounts merged? --Rich
  14. R

Will let you know how it goes. :) --Rich
  15. R

just wondering out loud

Sounds fine to me. I have my 2 amplifiers hooked up in the same way, though I only use the Sansui for headphones now. The record-out loops on your main amplifier will act just like a pass-through to the second amplifier. Don't try to blow out the windows - your amplifiers will get wet when it...
  16. R

Hi all, Just bought a new amplifier, and am looking for another set of speaker cable to let me run all 4 speakers at the same time. Currently have roughly 2x10m runs of the Richer Sounds equivalent to Monster cable, in around 1993. 129/0.1mm is printed on one side of the cable. Anyway...
  17. R

Are you a flat listener?

Sansui AU-G11X Rogers LS7 Senn HD480-II I always run with the tone controls defeated. If I'm listening through my speakers, then I enable the loudness button, but with headphones, I leave it unmolested. I live in a shared house, so whilst I really appreciate the sound I get from my...
  18. R

Do audiophiles play their systems louder than "normal" people?

But that isn't always the best way to look at things. We already know that a fast car is fast - there comes a point where they are all much of a muchness. I had a modified Impreza for a while and knew it was faster than my Dads 911. Whilst driving the 911, I doubt I went over 100mph - there...
  19. R

Tone controls--yea or nay?

90% of the time, I have the loudness turned on when using loudspeakers. There is no need for the artificial-enhancement when playing music at a decent volume, but I live in a semi-detatched house, and there are young children next door... ;) Headphones = no loudness/EQ adjustment I'm all...
  20. R

AU-G30X Opinions please

I have the G11X and rate it highly. Have never heard the 30/33, but it should be a fine piece of kit :). --Rich
  21. R

Sansui Products Missing ...

I'm a big fan of the looks. Everything is neat and uncluttered :). I was planning on bidding on the one on eBay - figured it'd be good to have a spare one, for when I need to change the caps in this one. Guess I'll let this one slide - even though it does look to be in better condition than...
  22. R

I really rate it highly. It is a clean and precise sounding amplifier, and I think the 25wpc rating is rather conservative. I prefer the sound through my speakers with the loudness switched on, but they do need driving quite hard to get the best from them. I don't think it would appeal to...
  23. R

I have an AU-G11X amplifier. What do you want to know about it? ETA:- There is one on eBay at the moment - here. --Rich
  24. R

caps leaking..what color do they leak

More varied pics of cap failure... http://www.careyholzman.com/caps/gallery.htm http://home.mchsi.com/~martin.rogers/SL400-bad-caps.jpg http://www.overclockers.com/tips1081/oldcaps.jpg http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/200302/capblown_6.jpg Black stuff on the PCB? Be careful... If...
  25. R

Sansui AU-G11X

Excellent stuff! Enjoy the punchy, clean sound of this unheard-of Sansui gem :). I've got one ;). --Rich
Back
Top Bottom