Search results

1. F

Scott LT112 tuner no stereo please help

Using the Sencore, post a waveform. It is rare to have so many failed components.
  2. F

KT66 Testing?

16.83 watts, and thank-you for the dialog about this. I'm beginning to think tube testers intentionally test at these lower plate voltages because it is a predictor of tube life.
  3. F

KT66 Testing?

I tested power output on the tubes that test NOS and the tubes testing low on the Hickok and they are almost exactly the same. I used a sine wave into the amp and a 6 ohm load resister, increased input until it clipped and measured the output.
  4. F

KT66 Testing?

In the Quad II, 400 DCV plate, -33.6V bias, 67ma, it is biasing within 1.5% of the tubes that test good in both the tester and the amplifier. It is also exactly on the tube data graph line. The only thing that I can come up with is that these tubes don't do well at low plate voltages.
  5. F

KT66 Testing?

I have some Genalex KT66's that I am testing in preparation of selling. I tested with Hickok 6000a transconductance tube tester and by installing in Quad II amps. I have a couple of tubes that test low on the Hickok 6000a, but look fine in the Quad II amp. The Hickok tester seems to be testing...
  6. F

KLH Model Nines

i bought a pair of non working Nine's a couple of weeks ago. I had some questions for David Janszen who has been very helpful. I am listening to them now, although one of the speakers had a torn membrane in 1 of the 10 bass panels and is off to David Janszen for repair. I jumped HV so I could...
  7. F

New to electronics repair

This is a good source for tools. https://www.allelectronics.com/
  8. F

Tube Tuners

This is my experience, others may be different. I had a pretty good SS tuner, an Accuphase. Here there is a classical station about 35 miles away that I like. My amplification is tube, driving electrostatics, which are very detailed. They don't hide much. I updated my DAC and still liked...
  9. F

Scott 310E updates?

Thank Thank-you, I forgot about those germanium diodes. I have gone through a number of Scott tuners, and I still have some replacement diodes for them, but I sure can't remember if I ever replaced them in the 310E. I don't know if I will be able to tell from looking, I should probably just...
  10. F

Scott 310E updates?

Thank-you, I did replace those resistors.
  11. F

Pyramid coupling capacitors?

Thank-you Dave, for your fast, helpful response.
  12. F

Pyramid coupling capacitors?

I'm updating an RCA PM17 console, the original coupling capacitors are Pyramid, does anyone have any experience with them? Normally I would just change them, but I have run across some good sounding capacitors in these older units that don't often fail and that sound good. I bought this...
  13. F

Heathkit W5M: replaced burned power transformer with Stancor PC-8412, now hums

I have done the same replacement without a problem.
  14. F

Why a tube tuner?

Someone else here mentioned Scott tuners. I'm listening to a 310E as I am writing this. I don't really understand this, I have a very good DAC and the 310E listening to the same station sounds better. Streaming delivers a lower noise floor, dynamic range and better bass, but the 310E has a...
  15. F

Scott 310E updates?

Thank-you rmp, F connector is a very good idea. I smacked my forehead when I read it, why didn't I think of it?
  16. F

Source for old RCA 3 pin interconnect plugs?

I just picked up a PM-17 RCA tube console. It uses 3 pin plugs for auxiliary inputs and internally. Two pins are + each for each channel, the third the common ground. I have attached a picture of the critters I am looking for. The reason I bought this console was that years ago I ran into...
  17. F

Scott 310E updates?

I didn't mention it, but I took one look at the relays and bypassed them. I use mercury wetted relays quite a bit. Until you mentioned it, I hadn't thought about those, but they should work with some minor changes. https://disti-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/testco-inc/files/datasheets/3920.pdf...
  18. F

HH Scott 310s Limiters

Thank-you rmp.
  19. F

Scott 310E updates?

Thank-you KiM3Ce, I understand and agree with what you are saying, the 310E is very, very good. These old pieces are sometimes limited by the technology of the time. For example, higher value, smaller in size electrolytics are now available. There may be other similar things that people have...
  20. F

HH Scott 310s Limiters

Hi, you mentioned Daev Roehr's Scott Tuner Alignment guide at the ak database. Can you tell me how I can access this guide? I have looked around and searched for AK database, but haven't been able to find it. Thank-you.
  21. F

Scott 310E updates?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve a Scott 310E? I have replaced electrolytics, added some capacitance, updated coupling caps, and replaced out of spec resistors. Thank-you.
  22. F

Heathkit W5M Thoughts

About 15 years ago, I was buying vintage KT66's for use in Quad II amps (which turned out to be a mistake). One pair came in a Heathkit W5M of unknown status. Meaning the price of the amp was less than what KT66's were going for. I finally got around to looking at the amp and it had a bad...
  23. F

Sherwood 3000-V updates?

I just picked up a Sherwood 3000-V, changed the electrolytics and it sounds pretty good. Before I align it, can anyone recommend any updates/improvements?
  24. F

tube stand-ins for hot weather

It gets above 110 here and we have an extremely energy inefficient house. Years ago I did switch to EL84's in the summer, but mainly I addressed the problem other ways. I put in very efficient and overrated heat pumps and photovoltaics. The heat pump where the music is, is whisper quiet. The...
  25. F

Triode/Ultralinear common vintage amps

Very cool, triode/ultralinear switch, 3 setting feedback switch. I have some amps with similar, you are going to like it.
Back
Top Bottom