Search results

1. idadude

Scott LC-21 Phono Section Question - Resistors

Well, I ordered all the metal film resistors from Mouser to re-resistor the phono section. I'd ordered 2W 270K plate resistors, but they sent me 2W 220K resistors. Should I get the 270K or would these 220K work okay in this application? I would like to get this project finished, but I want to do...
  2. idadude

Scott LC-21 preamp - phono & tape hiss

I've just finished re-capping a Scott LC-21, plus replaced the missing power transformer with a Heyboer upgraded one. Also replaced the selenium rectifier and installed a thermistor after the power switch. Hooked up a CD player to the 'extra' RCA connectors and it sounds very nice. Even with...
  3. idadude

Scott LC-21 - New Heyboer PT - Needing to wire it up correctly

Just got a new Heyboer power transformer for the LC-21 and have found that some of the wires are a different color than the original. I figured that the two blue wires go to the diode bridge, the two greens go to the 6X4, and the two plain reds also go to the 6X4. What I'm needing to know is if...
  4. idadude

Anyone know if chassis marking transfers are available anywhere?

I have quite a few vintage amp chassis that have a lot of the tube or RCA jack markings rubbed off or partially rubbed off making them unreadable or just looking bad. Does anyone know where I could find some of the lettering and number transfers to re-mark these chassis with? Thanks! L.D.
  5. idadude

Anyone know where to find inductor winding formula site?

There use to be a site that had a choke winding formula for people to wind their own inductors with different gauges of wire. I can't seem to find it now. Can someone direct me to it (if it's still around). Thanks! L.D.
  6. idadude

Are the inductors usually this far off on Infinitys?

I'm starting a rebuild project on a 2nd pair of RS 2.5's that I had waiting in the wings and since one of them had a broken upper board (probably got knocked over) I removed the caps , resistors, and coils off of the board so that I can glue the board back together. After all the electrical...
  7. idadude

Quantum 2 question : Does this matter??

I was checking the actual wiring and also checking the schematic and found a discrepancy. On the Watkins woofer does it matter if the coil comes before the 1100uf cap in the wiring? The schematic says the cap comes first, then the coil before going to voice coil #2 on the woofer. Both of mine...
  8. idadude

Sansui 1000A Output Transformers

I have a pair of Sansui 1000A output transformers and want to put them to use in building a Paul Kegger designed amplifier. How do I know what wires are for what purpose? Anyone know the color coding for these OPTs? Thanks! L.D.
  9. idadude

Tweeter setting on the Quantum 2's?

What is the best tweeter setting (high or low) on the Quantum 2's? I'm looking to buy new crossover capacitors for the tweets, so I want to get better ones for the recommended setting and not for the other setting which may not get used. Thanks! Larry
  10. idadude

Ever had an EMIT tweeter fuse blow?

Anyone ever had their EMIT tweeter fuse blow? If so, what was the reason it blew? The reason I'm asking is to see how often this occurs and whether the fuse is actually needed in normal usage. I was going to purchase some upgraded fuses, but instead of spending money on boutique fuses maybe I...
  11. idadude

Scott LC-21 Upgrades

Hello all, I just got a Scott LC-21 preamp which has had the old selenium rectifier replaced with a homemade diode board. Other than that the rest looks to be stock. Does anyone have any suggestions for upgrades other than replacing the electrolytics and the stock ceramic cased tubular caps...
  12. idadude

Linaeum LT-1000 repairs

Anyone ever worked on a Linaeum driver? I’m getting slight distortion out of the driver on the left speaker and after a look into it it seems that the Mylar is separating slightly in the center and some wire is showing. The other side is tight together in the center. I can guess at what I should...
  13. idadude

Fisher 800B Restoration & Upgrades List

I am now a happy owner of a decent Fisher 800-B receiver and would like it to restore it to become a reliable piece of gear, a daily runner. After doing a good bit of searching I have come up with a quite a list of items to replace (which I am in the process of doing at the present time). First...
  14. idadude

Should I purchase this 800B?

I'm looking at an 800B in very good condition, the tubes all test well, but in bringing it up slowly on a variac I can only get very faint sound out of both speakers at 90 volts with the volume turned up all the way. I took off the bottom panel and saw nothing amiss. Tubes all lit up when...
  15. idadude

RS-1b

I’m looking at a pair of RS-1b’s for sale and want to know what people think of them that have heard or owned them. I’d like to know the pros and cons. My room is big enough, so that issue is out of the way. I also have adequate amplification, so that is not a concern. What do you think about...
  16. idadude

Magnavox 8303-20U Coupling caps...

I picked up this Maggie 8303-20U integrated amp and would like to re-cap it and remove the tone controls. The coupling caps are Bumblebees with brown, black, yellow, purple, and a fifth red stripe. I take that these are 0.1uf 400V caps, correct? BB's are normally leaky, so I'd like to get these...
  17. idadude

Rebuilding 1955 Espey 501's....Any upgrades?

I have a pair of Espey 501 monoblocks that I plan on replacing all the caps and resistors in and I wondered if there was anything else that should be done to these that might improve their stability, reliability, or sound. I believe that the amps were originally built in around 1955, so there...
  18. idadude

Bogen DB-212 - 7199 rewired to accept 6U8, now have oscillation

I have a Bogen DB-212 (6V6GT) integrated that I have re-capped and was playing to test out it's reliability and started getting some oscillation off one of the 7199's. I've swapped the IC's, tubes, and switched speaker cables and I narrowed down the original oscillating to the 7199 slot...
  19. idadude

Metregon efficiency

I'm trying to figure out the proper size amp to use to drive a D130 driver is which is in a Metregon cabinet. How little power can you use to drive this speaker. Did the D130 Metregon have an SPL/efficiency rating? Thanks! Larry
  20. idadude

Harman Kardon HK-250 output tube balance pots

Does anyone know what is balanced with the two balance pots between the sets of output tubes? I looked through the owner's manual and didn't find any information on it. I'd like to make sure I'm running the amplifier optimally. Any help in getting this set properly would be greatly appreciated...
  21. idadude

Recent re-cap - Now one lytic leaked liquid...

I recently re-capped an Harman Kardon HK-250 and while it was playing I heard a 'pop' and smoke came out of the chassis. It still kept playing just fine till I got over to it and shut off the power. I expected to see what the problem was when I removed the bottom off the amp and visually found...
  22. idadude

SAS 30+30 6AV5 P-P amp. Looking for info on it. EFB?

I have a Specialty Audio Source 30+30 stereo tube amplifier that I have no information on. Would be nice to have a schematic or owner's manual on it. I'm going to upgrade the coupling caps in it, but I also wondered if something like the EFB would be able to be installed into something like this...
  23. idadude

Sumo Andromeda turn-on 'pop'. Suggestions to fix it....

I have a Sumo Andromeda (1) that 'pops' when you turn it on. Seems kinda loud and concerns me. I don't want to damage any drivers in my speakers, so I'd like to get the pop eliminated or at least tamed down. I've replaced the main power supply capacitors and had the output transistors replaced...
  24. idadude

Magnavox 185-11 (rough and stock)

1) What do I need to do to get a 185-11 amplifier to be testable to see if the transformers are any good first? 2) Then later convert it to be a 175 model and cut out the phono section. The simpler, the better.... I do have a variac to bring it up slowly. Also wondered if I need to put in...
  25. idadude

Bogen DB212 Question

I'm working on recapping a Bogen DB212 integrated amplifier and I've come to the four 5uf 250 V electrolytic capacitors in the chassis and don't have 5uf replacements for them. Can I use 6.8uf 250V poly caps instead? I have a bunch of those and don't have anything else that's close to a 5uf...
Back
Top Bottom