Search results

1. sebrof

Need help finding active crossovers for home audio use

I used a Rane AC22B active crossover for a while before I got a First Watt. Those can be had fairly cheap (I think I paid $125 on eBay).
  2. sebrof

Klipschorn Poll

People love them and for good reason. They certainly can rock the house. I owned a pair for several years, did all the improvements and tweaks I read on the Klipsch owners forum and other places on the web to make them sound good to me. New Crites Crossovers, reinforced corners (I had 2 good...
  3. sebrof

Why I'm turned off of modern gear - A Rant.

In the words of Keb Mo, "It was a high price to pay, You're gettin' more for your money today"
  4. sebrof

Heil AMTs and 2ways/3ways Made With Them

Here are mine. Altec 416 8A 16-ohm with the Heils on top. Altecs are active crossed and Heils are 1st order passive (IOW a cap in series)
  5. sebrof

All tube amp hum...right?

Most single ended, class A amps with no global feedback will hum a bit, especially with the very sensitive speakers they are usually paired with. Think SE 45, 2A3, 300B amps. Most have hum pots to minimize the hum. Almost all SE 6L6, EL34 (pentode, etc., not triodes) amps will have GFB so are...
  6. sebrof

Recommendations for cleaning receiver (dials, veneer, internals)?

This thread in the DIY section may help, includes Deep Cleaning An Amplifier http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/diy-forum-repair-restoration-reference-threads.426532/
  7. sebrof

2a3's

If you're not sure what you're doing then you shouldn't. Lots of places to get bit by Hi Voltage. There is almost certainly nothing wrong with the blue glow. I have a pair of Shuguang 2A3Cs that glow, and used to have Sovteks that glowed. Also the exposure/light of the photo will show more/less...
  8. sebrof

biamping active external xovers

I use a Rane AC22B. The AC22B has a subsonic filter built in. When I first installed it I noticed a lot of missing bass. I bypassed the subsonic filter and the difference was immediately obvious. Not sure if yours has the subsonic filter but all the schematics/block diagrams are on the Rane site...
  9. sebrof

speaker impedance mystery

I would contact Great Plains Audio and ask them, maybe through eMail since you're not a customer. They rework all the Altec stuff. I just checked my 416s which are also 16 ohms and they measure 6.7 and 6.9 ohms, so there may be something going on with yours as to why they measure so far apart...
  10. sebrof

High End Turntables

Cool thread, thanks to the OP for starting it. Some really nice tables here. The Well Tempered Lab Amadeus MKII (very similar to the GTA on pg. 3 of this thread) Some unusual features include poly sewing thread for a belt, a golf ball submerged in fluid for a tonearm bearing, no headshell...
  11. sebrof

New Tube Amplifiers

Quicksilver, Rogue, Audio Note, Cary, Audio Research
  12. sebrof

The Difference Between Starbucks Coffee And McDonald's Coffee Is....

You may prefer one over the other, but I can't see how anyone would claim they are the same.
  13. sebrof

People with the "Listening Room" and comfy chair..

Many people have a dedicated room in their homes to do nothing but watch TV. THAT'S what's strange.
  14. sebrof

Rega Planar 3 turning too slow

Thanks for following up. I had the opposite problem and used label maker tape on the sub platter, then replaced the motor and all was well.
  15. sebrof

Altec VOTT woofers

I run 416s in my DIY speakers. I have heard good things about Great Plains Audio, supposedly he has modern equivalent drivers http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/
  16. sebrof

Ten Things I've Learned Here at AK About Being an Audiophile

I don't like grey poupon, but since I am an audiophile of course I routinely practice all 10. Here's #11: 11. If you go to a shop where there are audiophiles, if you don't have a megabuck system or if you don't have $20K cables they will treat you like you have the plague, or completely...
  17. sebrof

How Do You Organise Your CD/vinyl etc. Collection?

Just wondering why you (or anyone) would go through the trouble to do that.
  18. sebrof

How Do You Organise Your CD/vinyl etc. Collection?

Music is music, I don't do genres
  19. sebrof

When I did it on my P3 they were on special for $175. Now back to $225 but may be found cheaper, IDK. $225 is a lot to put into a Planer 3 (but so was $175 into a P3). http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RE24VMUK
  20. sebrof

I believe it would stick, it sticks to threads just fine. Worth a try anyway. Teflon tape is where I would start.
  21. sebrof

Yes, tape on the subplatter would slow it down (ask me how I know ;) ) I'm thinking trying plumber's Teflon tape on the pulley since it's thin and flexible. Just a thought.
  22. sebrof

Where are all the kits???

As a couple of guys above pointed out, kits are available. But no so many because you're taking a pretty small market (people who give audio more than an afterthought) and segmenting it much smaller (people who give audio more than an afterthought AND people who can/want to build something)...
  23. sebrof

What is your definition of 'High End' audio?

That's what it means to me. The High End means the expensive stuff. Not better, not worse, not necessarily worth the money, just expensive.
  24. sebrof

What's the deal with turntables with built in pre-amps?

You are correct, sir :thmbsp:
  25. sebrof

biamp volume control

Ah, perhaps you're correct. The way I did/do it is to put my Radio Shack db meter directly in front of the tweeter (since the tweeter level is fixed/maxed) and play a test tone well above the XO frequency. I do this with only the one channel of the CDP connected. Then I put the meter directly...
Back
Top Bottom