Search results

1. belgianbrain

Upgrade from MM to MC cartridge and....holy crap!

Been getting back into vinyl. Bought a Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable, a Schiit Skoll preamp, and an Audio Technica VM540ML cartridge. The sound was very good, but my digital setup based on a Schiit Yggdrasil was better. The best I'd heard from my digital setup was definitely a solid step up from...
  2. belgianbrain

Happy New year Yamama fanatics !!!

Happy 2024!
  3. belgianbrain

Disappointed with Geshelli J2 4499EX

Yep, that's the video that prompted me to order it. Don't get me wrong - it's a good DAC. BUT, I've been rolling DACs for over 10 years now, starting with a couple of Lampizator units. Let's just say I don't quite understand the hype for it in the $~725 price range. Honestly, I thought my...
  4. belgianbrain

I didn't understand the switching wall wart. I immediately purchased a 12VDC linear power supply and the improvement was noticeable. Why Geshelli doesn't offer this as an option is beyond me. But, in my opinion, it still couldn't compete with my multibit DACs.
  5. belgianbrain

New setup = static?

You guys nailed it. I bought one of those $100 LP cleaning stations (entirely manual, which is fine considering I only have `50 records). Music is much cleaner now with less crackle and pop. Hell, I can barely hear the grooves on some records now.
  6. belgianbrain

Hi, I've been a multibit DAC addict for years. With the rave reviews of the AKM 4499EX, I decided to try the Geshelli Labs J2, 4499EX version. It's fully tricked out with Sparkos opamps and USB input. I also have a Schiit Wyrd cleaning up the USB signal from my Raspberry Pi Roon endpoint and...
  7. belgianbrain

New setup = static?

Microfiber is largely polyester. Isn't that bad for static?
  8. belgianbrain

New setup = static?

Hi, After years of being away from vinyl, it has become clear that it's likely here to stay, so I've waded back in with a brand new setup: 1. Pioneer PLX-1000 2. Audio Technica VM540ML cartridge 3. Schiit Skoll phono pre-amp I've heard vinyl setups that were quite silent and static free...
  9. belgianbrain

Yamaha B2 - the "why" and the "how" of a comprehensive rebuild

I've rebuilt several of these now and the driver boards seem to be very susceptible (at least for me!) to developing nearly invisible shorts across traces when you replace a lot of components. This has happened to me twice now and results in a lot of wasted time hunting down and eliminating the...
  10. belgianbrain

NS-1000M upgrade opinions?

Nice. If the speakers don't normally exhibit this problem, that means his crossover design is inappropriate...
  11. belgianbrain

I tried the Troels crossovers. Listened to them for a few years. They did fix some of the issues mentioned in that video and the bass response was definitely better, but I suspect they also made the speaker less sensitive because they seemed to use higher order filters with more resistance in...
  12. belgianbrain

Wow. That sounds like one huge-ass network he's putting in front of the drivers! What are the odds the speaker would actually sound better?
  13. belgianbrain

Yamaha NS 1000M L Pad issue

I removed the LPADs from the signal path in mine. Cleaner sound! I have an equalizer anyway...
  14. belgianbrain

Yamaha B2 - the "why" and the "how" of a comprehensive rebuild

Gabi, I believe Nashou66 is correct. But you can double check. Do you have the service manual? The fusible resistors are all listed in the BOM at the end. Once you know resistance and current, you can calculate power: https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/resistor-wattage
  15. belgianbrain

B2 driver board diagnosis

I'm using Toshiba TTC004B/TTA004B for the drivers and pre-drivers. These transistors have surprisingly little variability in Hfe when testing on the DCA75 Pro. But, yes, I did do rudimentary matching by selecting transistors that were within 2-3 points on the Hfe test. Curve matching I did...
  16. belgianbrain

I just checked my order and you're right, Nick. The part is made by Linear Integrated Systems. Somewhere along the way, I confused the brands. I could only find them on digikey, so to remove all doubt, here they are...
  17. belgianbrain

Thanks again, Pete! BUT, B2 FIXED! :banana: Problem laid in a bad solder joint somewhere between R147 and D118. I could not see a problem with these joints with a magnifying glass and when you would test adjacent nodes, they tested fine. It was only when testing from D118 straight to R147...
  18. belgianbrain

LOL I would prefer to find my bone headed mistake and try to hide the fact that i know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous. :rflmao:
  19. belgianbrain

Thanks again, sir! I will contemplate this all as I look at it over the weekend. You definitely know your stuff! When I went through electrical engineering in 96-00, we had only three classes in analog electronics and I haven't really used it since, except for applying it to this hobby...
  20. belgianbrain

You may have something there. Those rails measure ~ +/- 59V here.
  21. belgianbrain

I appreciate that, Pete! I'm going to invest some more time myself first before sending this board on a 6,000 mile odyssey. But, it's comforting to know that's an option if I get too frustrated. I'm still suspicious of these Siliconix JFETs. I had also yanked one during initial testing...
  22. belgianbrain

Yes, these comparisons have been done. And that is my testing approach.
  23. belgianbrain

R108 is 1.2K, as indicated.
  24. belgianbrain

Since I was planning to anyway, I swapped the Siliconix JFET differential pair on this board for Toshiba 2sk2145-BL. That did not fix the problem, although it did require a large adjustment on VR101 to bring offset back down to zero. :idea: +/-85V are right on, as are the voltages right after...
  25. belgianbrain

We have some comedians in the thread...:p Hopefully will have time to work on this tonight, but I just checked JFETs: 0V at input and output that connects to NF, as expected 0.5V at node coupled together that connects to TR106 collector 23V (instead of 21 indicated on schematic) where they...
Back
Top Bottom