Search results

1. Naptown Rob

Is it "sauce", or "gravy" ?

I think it's just a legacy of Italians (mostly Southern Italians?) trying to learn English. Gravy doesn't make any sense as a translation. Sauce is "salsa", gravy is "sugo", even meat sauce is ragù di carne...
  2. Naptown Rob

Mid Atlantic AK Gathering Middletown, Md - May 21st, 2016

Dang it. My kid is playing a big club gig that day. Damned ten year old rock & roller.
  3. Naptown Rob

Help with a 2 channel analog driven DVD player choice

Seems like it's time to replace my old Oppo DV-981HD, so I'm looking for a new Blu Ray/DVD player. Any player under consideration MUST have high quality DAC chips with 2 channel analog audio outputs. Im aware of the current Oppo & Cambridge Audio offerings, but wonder what else I should be...
  4. Naptown Rob

For All Pono Player Owners and Evangelists

So they sold about 15,000+ initially, add continued additional online sales from Pono, plus they are in over 65 brick and mortar retailers & it seems pretty easy to get to "tens of thousands".
  5. Naptown Rob

Bose 501 Tweeter Replacement

You can use a #211 lamp as a replacement. http://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-211-2-Long-Life-Miniature/dp/B00318NSAC Thinking back about 35 years when I worked building these things at Bose, isn't the crossover board stapled into the cabinet? You could knock the board out from the rear, but then...
  6. Naptown Rob

strange TDK thing ?????

Looks like a snap on ferrite choke. Use it to reduce RF/line noise on any power cord. $1.20 from Mouser.
  7. Naptown Rob

Henry Rollins' $200K speakers: How punk is(n't) that?

Good Lord. Who resurrected this dead horse from September of 2013?
  8. Naptown Rob

Is Shinola about to enter the audio business?

That's my guess too. Do they make the BEST products? No. But they make some pretty good quality stylish mass appeal stuff, which makes sense, since it's the guy who founded Fossil. He certainly knows how to run a business. Uber high end watches are just as ridiculous a business idea as uber...
  9. Naptown Rob

Yep! We'll just agree to call it Webster Lake...
  10. Naptown Rob

Oh, go jump in a lake with a wicked long name.
  11. Naptown Rob

BTW - and not that any of us would change - but we all pronounce Schiit incorrectly. It's "Shih-tah", according to the company. Although I think "SHI-tuh" would be a closer pronouncer. I still think that their slogan should be "Sounds like Schiit". But then, I'm the guy who came up with...
  12. Naptown Rob

The only watches of note I own are a 1939 Elgin and a 1945 Wittenauer. The first was my Dad's high school graduation present, the other he bought the day he was discharged from the Army Air Force. It is alway a pleasure when there is occasion to wear one of them.
  13. Naptown Rob

If you think about it, the car companies are primarily assemblers, too. They buy parts from hundreds of suppliers. Did Fisher or Scott make their own caps & resistors? Pots? Dial glass? Wire? Rubber feet? Solder? Connectors & knobs? Or were they built to spec by manufacturers of those lines...
  14. Naptown Rob

How did I not see that coming? Looks like the first product is going to be headphones, according to the NY Times.
  15. Naptown Rob

Kinda interesting. They specialize in Made in USA. Good design and quality, and NOT cheap. Intriguing partnership with Jack White & Third Man... "For Shinola, the deal comes on the heels of the brand’s investment into yet another category, rapidly honing in on the ability to manufacture...
  16. Naptown Rob

FM music quality

I can speak only of the radio station I work at. The cloud is not involved. All music is on a server, in wav format. I don't allow mp3s. These were initially, for the most part, CD rips from a 6,000 disc library. A bit of a project... It took some getting used to not handling physical...
  17. Naptown Rob

AK Mid Atlantic Spring Gathering May 23rd!

Thanks guys. She was a fantastic lady. At 91, sharp as a tack & funny as hell, she passed quite suddenly in her sleep on the last night of a dream trip in Germany. Always keep one thing on your bucket list?:scratch2: Oh - she was a big music lover, and always had a pretty darned good...
  18. Naptown Rob

Are you an Audiophile?

Excellent. The joke has now worked on multiple levels. Clickhole is a project of The Onion, designed to parody click bait sites like Buzzfeed, and...they got you.
  19. Naptown Rob

Is anyone authorized to operate your system?

My wife - who truly appreciates high fidelity - can't be bothered, probably because I swapped stuff around so frequently for so long that she couldn't keep track of what kind of configuration I had come up with in any given week. But things have been pretty static for quite awhile now. My 9...
  20. Naptown Rob

Are you an Audiophile?

Spoken like a true audiophile?:scratch2:
  21. Naptown Rob

AK Mid Atlantic Spring Gathering May 23rd!

I'm afraid I'm out, fellows. My Mom passed away last weekend & I'm headed home to Massachusetts. We'll see you at the next one...
  22. Naptown Rob

Protecting speakers from low frequency energy they cannot reproduce?

YOur receiver's filter works on all inputs. I would just use that, at the lower setting.
  23. Naptown Rob

Are you an Audiophile?

Me neither. I mean except the one about naming my car Dre, but I figure everybody does that.
  24. Naptown Rob

Are you an Audiophile?

i thought I might be - in fact probably was - an Audiophile, but apparently I'm not an Audiophile. http://www.clickhole.com/quiz/are-you-audiophile-2491
  25. Naptown Rob

$1 estate sale find - The Fisher

Missed opportunity. You should've told them you would haul it away for fifty bucks...
Back
Top Bottom