Search results

1. Zvezda

Listening to Altec 604Es...

I also have 604Es in Barzilay cabinets, and mine had the N1500A crossover as well. I built some new crossovers based on Jeff Markwart's design with a MF EQ section added and it took all of the shout out of them.
  2. Zvezda

Audio-Technica VM540ML Cart. So this is what a TT should sound like!

Get the capacitance and loading right and this cartridge is great.
  3. Zvezda

Turntable hierarchy list

I live near this shop and have sold them some gear in the past. They do some simple repairs to turntables but what they really specialize in is restoring receivers and tuners, cosmetically and electronically. One of their techs--whom I know through a friend--did an alignment on one of my...
  4. Zvezda

General Electric tube water tower

It's still there: https://goo.gl/maps/oYGsDwVQ1qdTssY46
  5. Zvezda

Is anyone here a member of Lansing Heritage forum?

Are you using JBL or Altec speakers? Reason I ask is that Lansing Heritage is a better place for JBL owners, and Altec Users' Board is better if you have Altecs.
  6. Zvezda

Thorens td165 vs Sony PSX50

I can speak with authority on this since I have personally owned both of these turntables. I would take the Sony. It's got a better tonearm, it was quieter (no joke) and it had a more forward presentation compared to the Thorens that I preferred. Only reason I sold it is that it didn't match...
  7. Zvezda

fix my Dual in Iowa

I live here in Des Moines, so when I bought my 1019, I was able to drive over and pick it up in person. Bill does good work and my 1019 works flawlessly years later. The new plinth and dust cover that came with the turntable are really sharp-looking.
  8. Zvezda

Sherwood S-5000 II Quirks

Here's the loudness curve. Very heavy on the bass boost, a little bit on the treble. I don't care for the loudness switch, but love the tone controls on the S-5000.
  9. Zvezda

Modern/boutique mono tube integrated amps?

I bet you'd be happy with a Sherwood S-1000. Their integrated amplifiers sound really good once they're restored, and you don't have to pay Marantz or McIntosh money for them.
  10. Zvezda

Condensation on transformers in the AM

Guessing you have one-pipe steam radiators with the little air vent assembly on the side. You should consider replacing that vent if you're getting a lot of humidity in that room.
  11. Zvezda

buying NOS soviet tubes

Russia was not the entirety of the USSR. Plenty of sellers on eBay from other former SSRs sell Reflektor tubes.
  12. Zvezda

JBL JUBALS outperform modern speakers...

Klipsch has a large following, but they also have a house sound that is extremely bright and, to many, grating. Not surprised the JBLs sound better.
  13. Zvezda

Help with Altec 604 Crossovers!

Awesome! Enjoy your Duplexes.
  14. Zvezda

Help with Altec 604 Crossovers!

When I built my Markwart crossovers, Jeff was happy to answer my questions over email. Have you tried asking him? Jeff also has a list of recommended components here: https://greatplainsaudio.com/gpa-vintage-altec-ezine/recommended-parts-substitutions-construction-hints/.
  15. Zvezda

ALTECS Possibly??

Going to guess 604Es based on the N1500a crossovers.
  16. Zvezda

Russia Banning Exports

You are giving me flashbacks to my former life as a QE. Worst job ever.
  17. Zvezda

If you were going to finally buy Altecs, what would you get?

Take out the kitchen and you could get some a3s.
  18. Zvezda

Why do a lot of people like the Dual 1019 more than 1219/1229?

I've been using an AT microcline stylus on my 1019 for years, and it works great.
  19. Zvezda

ALTECS Possibly??

You can see a person standing next to the cabinets on the left hand side of the image. Compare shoulder height to cabinet height. These things are tall.
  20. Zvezda

ALTECS Possibly??

Yep, those crossovers are identical to what came with my 604Es, and you can tell that there's only one circular cutout behind that grille cloth. Those are duplexes for sure, go grab them!
  21. Zvezda

Has anyone found a pair of speakers and said "I'm done"?

Yes, when I got my Altec 604s. I was done buying drivers. But then, I built new crossovers. And someday, they will get new cabinets. But the drivers will stay.
  22. Zvezda

Sherwood S-5000 output tube question

Ah yeah, forgot the EV at the end. That is what I am using.
  23. Zvezda

Sherwood S-5000 output tube question

Oooh that's the best S-5000. The Reflektor 6P14P is a solid choice for this amp. Mine didn't come with the original tubes so I'm not sure who made them.
  24. Zvezda

Klipsch Cornwall 1 or Altec 605a in 620 cabinets

Great record; have played it through my 604s many times.
  25. Zvezda

Vintage Sansui speaker guidance please - the good, the bad, the ugly?

Yeah, this is one of my rules of thumb: Buy speakers made by companies that are primarily known for making speakers. JBL. Altec, AR, etc.
Back
Top Bottom