Search results

1. dmckean

Big Horn Recommendation (Like a K-402, but slightly smaller and cheaper)

I always thought this one looks interesting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/231420420855?ul_noapp=true#rwid
  2. dmckean

Need KLF-20 parts

You can measure one with this. https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dats-v3-computer-based-speaker-audio-component-test-system--390-807
  3. dmckean

Dating My Cornwalls; Did I Get it Right?

You gotta love the big bottom end on those Cornwalls.
  4. dmckean

Heresy V4

You can't directly compare the ratings of pro speakers (of any brand) with consumer versions. The published measurements for pro speakers are done in an anechoic chamber and the consumer measurements will include the one octave or more of gain you get from optimal placement in a small room...
  5. dmckean

Tractrix horn for a K-55V {cornwall}

The horns you linked to on Ebay in your post that got deleted are from these speakers (in the link below) which crossover at 1400hz. You'd be taking a big chance trying to use these in a Cornwall build. https://www.klipsch.com/products/kl-650-thx-bookshelf-speaker Klipsch still makes the K-603...
  6. dmckean

Don't confuse the voice coil size with the throat size. The FaitalPRO LTH142 horn on the Cornscala D speakers have a 1.4" throat and the Klipsch K-510 horn in the KI-396 have a 2" throat. All the Klipsch consumer models use a 1" throat. The downside to the 2" throat is that my speakers only...
  7. dmckean

My opinion on that is it's more of a 2-way Chorus on steroids as it uses a very similar woofer to the Chorus models and has the same sized front baffle. It's just all housed in a slightly undersized trapezoid box. My ultimate plan is to build a pair of Chorus sized cabinets and transplant the...
  8. dmckean

I personally don't think there is anything that magical about tractrix and largest horn you cram in a cornwall sized box with a 2" throat will sound best. Moray's advice on the two-way is solid. I've heard a pair locally years ago (I believe he's a member here) and planned to go that direction...
  9. dmckean

No, the throat is the wrong size and the 1" throat FaitalPRO horns don't behave well below 1khz. I don't know of any other companies making new Tractrix horns. Maybe look out for take offs from the KLF20/30 or CF3/4 or buy the LTH142 with an appropriately sized driver.
  10. dmckean

"Going rate" for preowned Chorus 1, Forte 1 and Heresy 1?

It depends on the market, I think those prices are optimistic. Where I live a pair of Chorus 1s is decent shape will be $800-$1000. The Forte will go for $600-$800 and Heresy 1s will sell quickly for $500.
  11. dmckean

New Forte III’s being shipped today

The Cornwall IV is using a polyimide mid diaphragm and not a phenolic one.
  12. dmckean

Calling the Klipsch experts, come in Klipsch experts!

I agree, The Cornwall and Chorus are pretty equal to each other overall. The KG4 and Heresy are pretty equal to each other too but with a very different presentation. The Forte sits in the middle.
  13. dmckean

Klipsch Introduces the Cornwall IV

Room gain will normally get you about an extra octave or so over anionic measurements in a well designed speaker. But it really depends on the room too. Another thing the KI-396 have going for them is they're turned somewhere around 35 hz in an undersized cabinet. This is really common in pro...
  14. dmckean

My first trip to this forum! After Heritage, what's good?

I've owned about all of them over the years now. The KLF series is good and there's some good models in the RF series too. In the consumer lines, I would consider various Cornwalls, Choruses, Fortes, CF-3s, CF-4s, KLF-20s, KLF-30s, RF-7s, RF-5s, RF-83s, and RF-63s all to be on about the same...
  15. dmckean

Klipsch Introduces the Cornwall IV

The measurements for the KI-396 (and all other pro gear) are done in an anionic chamber and do not take into account the typical room gain you get in the home. I've had my pair for going on 2 years now and they're not bass shy at all, I get usable bass all the way down to 24hz.
  16. dmckean

Realistic 42-2101A Phono Pre

I had one, it's main issue is it clips with higher output cartridges but it sounds great otherwise.
  17. dmckean

Schiit Turntable: the giant-slayer that slays giants and schiit

I can understand multiple points of view on this. I mean, if you already have a level surface, then leveling feet do nothing and might not actually sound a good as a ridged foot. We need to verify that the leg screws are #4-40 like @ClusterChuck mentioned so we can start searching for a...
  18. dmckean

Jason mentioned it's in production finally and that it should be available by RMAF, which is only a few weeks away now.
  19. dmckean

elliptical stylus better than old school spherical??? Really?

Records were cut though to be flattest (EQ wise) with a conical stylus. Finer stylus shapes are brighter on playback, you can see this easily by pulling needle drops up in audacity and viewing the waveform.
  20. dmckean

A Miracord 50H followed me home.....

It's probably these. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-0-4375-in-Rubber-Grommet/3013202
  21. dmckean

Scratch everything I said above about the main bearing, I just found this: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx3RdcoBWbX/ I assume the final version of the platter will be damped an not ring like a bell. I might benefit from an isoplatmat regardless.
  22. dmckean

Yes, at least a little. The pivot for the tonarm is extremely fragile. You'll need need to be very careful with it while setting up a cartridge and still pretty careful with it during day-to-day use. I wouldn't worry about regular use too much though, you get used to it fast. Lots of guys here...
  23. dmckean

These pics were posted up to Head-Fi about 10 days ago. Sol is going to end up looking really nice.
  24. dmckean

KLF-20 question

Only the first year of production had any problem with cabinets, most KLF-20s will be fine in that area. You should definitely recap the crossovers as they will be quite out of spec at this point. Replacing the tweeter diaphragms are pretty much a must as the stock ones are poly (plastic).
  25. dmckean

Schiit LOKI/ Thoughts????

I love my Loki, it's made a lot of music that was previously unlistenable on my system come back into regular rotation.
Back
Top Bottom