Search results

1. gusten

Redbook or High Resolution?

I am a bit ambivalent about my digitizing of some classical music. Is there really any difference in practice between Redbook and high resolution 24/96? Is it possible to hear any difference? Here are two files from an old Mahler 6 Lp. What say You...
  2. gusten

Portable Digital Recorder.

I normally use a digital recorder for needle-drops and testing. My old one has served me well for many years, but now I´m beginning to have drop-outs now and then. So I´m testing a new one; an Olympus LS-12. This can record in 24bits and 96kHz, and also in my favorite freq 88,2Hz. It works...
  3. gusten

Some new needle measurements.

Put a new needle on. Dug out my trusty old DIN test records and did some measurements. This is how it looks. Very, very flat freq response, very low distortion, and crosstalk perfectly aligned. Sounds as good as it looks. Here is a needle drop from an old record...
  4. gusten

Subtle differences

What say you. Is it possible to hear a difference between these two files. Or is the difference between the files so subtle, that the fact that listening on totally different components makes it too hard to perceive? If you hear a difference please tell which one is preferred...
  5. gusten

Maybe a progress?

Did some small things at my TT to reduce vibrations at platter. What say you, is it a progress? Everything is else same. The first file is before. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39225261/Strauss%20is%20Happy.wav https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39225261/Strauss%20is%20Happy3.wav
  6. gusten

Soundfiles two AT needles.

Just for the fun of it. Here are two small files using two different high quality Audio Technica needles. One is a nude 0.2x0.7 needle used in several AT styli, like ATN13Ea, ATS13, ATN7V, ATN15Xe, ATN130, also in some Signets. The other is also a rather commonly used needle, a nude Shibata...
  7. gusten

Listen to 12 cartridges

Twelve pickups to listen to, hope it hasn´t been posted previously. http://www.audio.de/ratgeber/tonabnehmer-vergleich-test-plattenspieler-musikbeispiele-download-2072844.html
  8. gusten

Mounting Pin AT pickups

A small tip I have found works very well with AT pickups. All MMs ATs have a mounting plug. This plug has a snap-in mounting to keep it secure. This works well but it cannot keep the the plug from vibrating in the mounting hole, there will be some play between plug and hole. This might not be...
  9. gusten

A sound of mistracking

Maybe a little interesting about how mistracking can sound. This is from Goodbye Look/Donald Fagen. Two different cartridges are used. One with a lower end stylus and one with a better stylus. The files have been converted to mono and the left channel has been inversed. The lateral information...
  10. gusten

Differences with mono sound.

Here are som small clips from Within You/Without You from original UK mono LP. One is the original sound from a stereo cartridge. One is only from left channel. One is from right channel. One is from summed stereo to mono. There is also a clip of the difference between the channels. Is...
  11. gusten

Analog Planet Phono-amp downloads.

For those that haven´t noticed. 5 different phono-stages with blind downloads. Interesting! gusten
  12. gusten

Tonearm resonance.

I don´t know but I feel this hasn´t been talked about so much. Here are two plots, one from a rather undamped arm (a common) and one from a rather good damped arm. One can see that the output at resonance is very different, the undamped arm has a very high output. That means that the arm...
  13. gusten

Which is preferred?

This is the same ATS13 needle mounted on two different bodies. Both bodies are very common AT pickups. The ATS13 needle is a very high quality nude square shank 0.2x0.7mil on a tapered cantilever and I really like it. The question is can a difference be detected and if so which one do...
  14. gusten

Stocking up on AT

I´ve been doing some stocking up on AT styli lately, mainly ATN13 and ATS13, real bargains. I have seen ATN13EAV styli at very good prices, are these the same as ATN13 or is there any major difference. I can see that they have the same tapered cantilever. gusten
  15. gusten

Bitumen on headshell

This is for the aficionados amongst us. If you have a piece of self adhesive bitumen sheet, preferably 4mm thick and about 6-7mm wide, try this. Attach it to the headshell as pictured, about 35-40mm should be in front of the headshell. Rebalance and set VTF. What do you think of the sound...
  16. gusten

AT11+different needles

The Audio Technica AT11 cartridge (and its numerous clones) is probably one of the most sold cartridges. And a very good one IME, and the bodies can be had very cheaply. This is nothing new but might be worth repeating, AT11 can very easily be fit with other tremendously good styli. In my...
  17. gusten

AT120 family needle on AT95 body

Does anyone know if a stylus from the AT120 family will fit an AT95 body. With 'fit' I mean only the mounting plug and inner width. gusten
  18. gusten

How good can a Technics 1200II get?

For those a little interested in measured values. I did some rumble measurements on my modified 1200. #1 is only phonostage. #2 is phono+TT(not on)+needle resting on plinth. #3 is phono+TT(on)+needle resting on plinth. #4 is phono+TT spinning 33RPM+needle resting on plinth. There are still...
  19. gusten

IGD one possible cause?

I don´t know if IGD is crystal cleer for everybody, it certainly isn´t for me. So this is more of a question, is this the major cause? As can be seen on the sketch, in this case it should happen when the major groove radius is steep and at the same time trying to track higher frequences...
  20. gusten

Acutex M320 STRIII

I have the opportunity to pick up a NOS one of these. Anyone still uses one? What can it be compared to? gusten
  21. gusten

Shure N-140HE Stylus

I recently found 2 NOS styli Shure N-140HE, they looked interesting so I bought them. Not knowing anything about them really, and I do not have any body that fits. What body will fit and is it very difficult to find any? gusten
  22. gusten

Ortofon MC opinions

Lately I have become a little interested in Ortofon`s HOMC, especially X3-mc and X5-mc. They seem very interesting as you will get a nude fine-line and respectively a nude Fritz Gyger for a very descent price. Interested in opinions on these from people who have any of them. /gusten
  23. gusten

Technics 1200 mk1

Bid on a Technics 1200 and didn´t look so close. Turned out to be mk1. Big mistake; but how decent is mk1 compared with mk2. I understand it´s not quarts locked and have a different tone arm, but is it still kind of ok? /gusten
  24. gusten

Tonearm/stylus resonance.

Just wanted to show the chart I´m using when looking at resonance frequencies. I know there are some others elsewhere, but still maybe this can be useful. I´m normally trying to reach 10Hz, but it is in reality for some heavy carts very tricky. A perfect match at the moment is AT95E with 15 in...
  25. gusten

Tenorel 2001SD

I found this cartridge at an auktion.It should be a nude Shibata tip on it. Does anyone know anything about this old brand?Is it worth trying? /gusten
Back
Top Bottom