Search results

1. EL Duke-A

Recap RS IIIs

Considering recapping my RS IIIs. Made 1981- 1983. Schematic below. a) will it make then sound better? b) what caps should i use? Dont mind spending some coin for quality... within cost reason. c) where should i buy from? Parts express okay? d) should i do all the caps? Any other...
  2. EL Duke-A

B&k st202 - too hot? Seeking manual...

Hi all - just got a new to me st202. Sounds amazing and very happy with it... but it does run hot. Maybe too hot...??? Pushing 4ohm infinity rsiiis and after 15 min at about -25db w/ power subs handing 80hrz down (crossover set in pre-amp) the st202 amp gets hot... right side heat fins get...
  3. EL Duke-A

Thoughts on AB International Precedent 1100 power amp?

There is a 1100a that i found some stuff on, but this one is 1100 without the “a” i think... See pic. Looks like a mosfit and reminds me some of a b&k i have but the heat sync area looks more material like it might run hot... plus i think this may be an ab amp design as company name...
  4. EL Duke-A

Best improvement / bang for buck

I have a hodge podge system. Onkyo sr706, martin logan 50xti center, vintage infinity rs iii fronts power by b&k st3140, some vintage ar bookshelf rears set up wirelessly, and 2 svs pb 2000 subs. been fiddling with receiver settings for a while and just can seem to get it where i’m happy... it...
  5. EL Duke-A

B&k st-140 with white caps

considering a 140 or 202. found a nice looking 140 for a good price with the gold lettering etc but noticed the large caps were white instead of the blue i see a lot. are these replacement caps or did they make this amp with different color caps at different times or something? also welcome...
  6. EL Duke-A

Crossover help

Building my first crossover ever. before i start glueing, screwing and soldering... does this look correct? thanks everyone!
  7. EL Duke-A

Plans for homemade speakers

My father who is getting on in years is an accomplished woodworker. I’d like to build a custom set of speakers with him that have beautiful real wood cabinets and sound amazing. He’d do the cabinets and i’d handle the speaker/crossover side. Prefer to buy a pre-made crossover vs soldering one...
  8. EL Duke-A

Manual for nakamichi AV-8?

anyone have this manual? For a nakamichi av-8 receiver? Cant find fond online anywhere...
  9. EL Duke-A

Infinity crescendo 3008 refurb

Finished refurbishing some 3008s the other day. My brother’s friend was getting rid of them and gave them to me for free given they needed a refoam. So a few man hours and a $50 refoam kit (all 6 woofers) and these are back to new. Typing up a few notes that may be of interest to others...
  10. EL Duke-A

Which of these carts...?

adding a cart to my collection for fun. Options to by Denon 103 - retipped with high end stylus Denon 103r - upgraded as well Benz glider low output Dynavector dv20x2 Thoughts? Listening to classic rock, country, tom waits, dr john, etc... lovd that warm analog sounds. Have heard basic 103...
  11. EL Duke-A

Phono pre settings for signet tk7su...?

hello all. I have a signet tk7su with a micro ridge nude diamond, sapphire cantilever (retipped). I want to set it up with a pro ject phono box se ii which has these jumpers on the back. My mm cart options on the pre for each channel are 100pf, 220pf or no jumper at all. Anyone know if/how i...
  12. EL Duke-A

Pro-ject 1 xpression carbon classic any good?

Hello all, upgrading from technics sl 3300 which works fine and has served me well these last few years. Considering pro ject 1 xpression carbon classic. Seems decent and looks great. Would love to get opinions here of this table. Reading some things about hum from motor and the anti-skate...
  13. EL Duke-A

Sansui au-717

Just picked up new very clean looking 717. Still i gather it needs recap and I see the bad glue... Was thinking of using this amp to push some 4 ohm infinity rs III, the tall skinnier speaker with offset woofers mirroring each other. 717 is not rated for 4 ohms. Before I invest in...
  14. EL Duke-A

Onkyo a-10 or kenwood ka9100?

Going to get a new integrated. I know the a10, but not the ka9100. Which is better for phono and just overall? Using infinity rsIII which are 4 ohm.
  15. EL Duke-A

Onkyo A-10 buzz Q

My A-10 started buzzing when turned on (could still hear radio over buzz). For I while I could switch off and back on and it would go away. That no longer works. Now, it buzzes for a few minutes and then goes away. All other aspects of the amp work perfect. Any thoughts on what the problem is?
  16. EL Duke-A

Sub woofer with vintage amp question

Using vintage amp. Contemplating passing speaker lines through a powered sub to add depth to base. What does a typical powered sub do when placed in the speaker line? Is is cutting out lower frequencies preventing those frequencies from reaching the main channels? Does it degrade or change...
  17. EL Duke-A

Original large advent woofer rattle

Getting rattle at low frequencies and loud volumes. Foam surrounds are in good shape, 100% connected to underside of frame and cone. I think it is not airtight under rim of speaker against the cabinet. There was this yellowish sealant used which was brittle. I removed that old brittle...
  18. EL Duke-A

InfinityRSIII - L-pad replacement question

Recently purchased a pair of Infinity RS IIIs ($150 - craigslist), the tall relatively thin vintage speakers with 2 8 inch woofers with speakers offset to one side mirroring each other. Really interesting speakers. Having some age, had to refoam surrounds ($35 kit I think). Midrange L-pads...
  19. EL Duke-A

Onkyo tx 8500 schematic

Anyone have the schematic for the tx 8500? Not the mk version, just the plain 8500 model. Thanks.
  20. EL Duke-A

Best place to buy a TT

So many Akers mock ebay (the bay, ePray etc.). While you see some good used higher end TTs there, they usually go for more than I feel is necessary. So, that said, where do you get one? Prices for new tables via needledoctor etc are even more than eBay. I could work the yardsale and goodwill...
  21. EL Duke-A

Onkyo TX 8500 or Pioneer SX 850

Was building a vintage system for my dad and scored these two receivers. One I intend to keep and the other give to him. The question is, which one to I keep. From what I hear, the power amp side of the Onkyo is nuts weighing in at over 50 lbs, this is by far the largest heaviest receiver I...
  22. EL Duke-A

Pioneer SX 850

Have chance to buy for $150. Unit looks to be in good shape. Is this unit worth $150M?
  23. EL Duke-A

Speaker ID help - vintage advents

Trying to figure out what these are. Anyone know? Dimensions are 25.5" H x 14.25" W x 11.5" D
  24. EL Duke-A

Which JBLs are best (2-way vs 3-way)

L77s - $150. LXe 770. listed for $100 LX 44. - $75 Don't know difference between 44s and 770s. Which one is better? L77s are 1 ways I think w/ 2 large woofers and one tweet. Why is this design a 2 way with two big woofers? Would these beat out other, slightly newer 3 ways like the...
  25. EL Duke-A

Refurbish help - Peacetime Communications

Had prior post to help ID interesting pair of vintage late 70s early 80s speakers. Made by Peacetime Communications in NJ. Apparently they were later acquired by JBL. Figured out model number is L 401. Speakers are 3 way, 4 speaker design with base woofer, mid and two tweets (one done and...
Back
Top Bottom