Search results

1. R

Krell? Ever heard any of their equipment?

I use a Krell FPB 300cx to drive a pair of Tannoy D700 in my main listening room and it sounds amazing, not at all cold or sterile to my ears. One thing I really like about a big Krell is I never ever have to worry about the amp's ability to drive any speaker with absolute authority.
  2. R

The official Music score thread

I have not gone hunting for vinyl in a while, but I made some nice finds today. Vinyl is all mint or near mint. The Pink Floyd and Zeppelin are original US releases.
  3. R

Cartridge recommendations for a vinyl novice

I am sorry I missed this question. I use the Hi-Fi News Analog test LP and I find it extremely valuable, but there are others as well.
  4. R

I bought a Denon DP-75. What do I need to know to get the best performance out of it?

On the DP-75 and the DP-72L (and I presume the other Denon space decks with red transport lockdown screws) the lockdown screws do not lock the motor or the spindle. The platter will spin freely with the lockdown screws in place. The screws serve to lock down a transformer which normally hangs on...
  5. R

Moderate price MC cart suggestions

In this price range, Denon DL-103r. They can be had new for $350 and I consider them an absolute steal at that price.
  6. R

Vintage Integrated Amp Recommendations

Take a close look at the Sanui AU series, the Kenwood KA series and the Pioneer SA series from that period, as well as the Marantz. All excellent.
  7. R

Cartridge recommendations for a vinyl novice

First, welcome to the world of vinyl. But beware, the rabbit hole is very deep (but very rewarding as well). I would point out a couple of things to begin that I feel are very important, proper setup and clean records. Addressing these issues with a few not-very-expensive accessories will make...
  8. R

Vintage Integrated Amps over 100WPC - continued

These are all nice amps but the first two are not over 100wpc. The L-68a appears to be 110wpc but was (from what I can tell) Japanese Domestic Market only. Still, I should include it, thanks.
  9. R

Added the Sherwood, thanks for that one. I also sadly removed the NAD. It was indeed not over 100wpc. And yes, the SUV9 just misses the cutoff of 1980.
  10. R

Ack you are right! Thanks for the catch.
  11. R

I bought a Denon DP-75. What do I need to know to get the best performance out of it?

I am curious. Where did you find a custom plinth? I too have a DP75 I am planning on building up. Building the plinth myself is a possibility but I am also considering just buying a plinth. I cannot find any of the original Denon plinths for sale anywhere and was not able to locate a builder...
  12. R

Upgrade Phono Preamp next?

Interesting. I have compared the phono sections of my two vintage integrated amps (Kenwood 600 and Pioneer A91D) to my phono stage (Dynavector P75 gen1) and, while the Dynavector was slightly better, the difference was pretty small (using a Denon DP72L table with curved arm and the Denon DL-103r...
  13. R

Here's What Some Seller's "VG+" Looks Like

I have had numerous similar experiences with ebay, it really seems to be a crap shoot. I once bought a record described as near mint and when it arrived it was full of cat hair and reeked of cigarettes. The seller told me, "They must have opened it at the post office". Sure, that sounds reasonable.
  14. R

As I explained in the first post, I continued the list here in a new thread rather than bumping the old one because I want to be able to add to it as new components come to light. If I could have added the Akai and the Rotel to the old list I would have done so, and bumped in the process. But...
  15. R

This list is the vintage integrated amps OVER 100 wpc, from 1970-1980. It is a short list, meant to hold the rarest and most powerful integrated amps of the era. Its been a while since I updated this list. I began it back in 2005 and it will no longer let me update that original list, so I am...
  16. R

Need Plinth Building Advice - parts sources

I am familiar with the SH15 plinths. If I could order a nice one off of the net I would just do that. Unfortunately they are very hard to come by without a turntable already in it.
  17. R

Need Plinth Building Advice - parts sources

Hi All I have a nos still fresh in the box Technics SP-25 and I want to build a plinth for it. I really like the old school look of polished wood, with hinged dustcover and height adjustable feet (like my Denon DP-72L for example). I can handle the wood fabrication part but I just don't know...
  18. R

why do you need a machine to clean records?

The reason I use a RCM is simple and its not at all about having more gear. The RCM does a better job than handwashing AND its more convenient than handwashing AND its faster than handwashing. In my experience its really a no brainer. The RCM is the single best upgrade to my vinyl system I ever...
  19. R

Pickering XSV 3000-specs?

I recently picked up a nice Sansui SR-838 with this cart on it and I was wondering how to set up the track weight with that brush. If my scale measures the weight of the brush and tip I set it to 1.25-1.5 gms? If my scale only touches the tip then I set it to .25-.5 gms? Is this right? That...
  20. R

Cartridge for Denon 60L

Its hard to beat the denon DL-103 carts for the money. I use a denon DL-103r on my DP-72L and the sound is really good. I use the curved arm though.
  21. R

SR-838 transport screws?

Does anyone know the dimensions of the two transport screws that are used on the SR-838 turntable? Its the one thing my turntable came without and I'd like to replace them if possible. I could always open it up to get the length...but its alot easier if someone out here has a pari they could...
  22. R

New dustcover hingers for DIY Turntable ??

Evidently I cannot edit the title once I post. So just to be clear...I am looking for HINGES not HINGERS...whatever those may be. Does anyone know a good source for turntable dustcover hinges? I have a Technics SP-25 I want to build up and I like the vintage look and convenience of the built...
  23. R

Post a picture of your turntable

my two vintage tables Mint Denon DP-72L and a near mint Sansui SR-838. Both were purchased locally from the original owners. The Denon came with all weights, both armtubes, and original packaging.
  24. R

How much for Sansui SR-838

Yeah Rob that was me. Its a beautiful rack system he is selling. I almost bought the whole works...but I just pictured the look on my wife's face when she saw it and that was enough to stop me. You should buy it. I don't know if you saw it in person but the whole thing is in fabulous shape.
  25. R

How much for Sansui SR-838

my experience I just bought a beautiful sr-838 in near perfect condition with an excellent cartidge from the original owner for $150. But I have a feeling that was really really cheap. I almost never see these for sale locally. I'd also like to hear what others say.
Back
Top Bottom