Search results

1. T

Sansui 1000 Tube Receiver - Please Help To Troubleshoot

Larry, sorry but I disagree, and forgive me for saying IMHO that is being over-cautious. I've been repairing stereos for 40 years now, and have yet to have one "blow up" because it was unloaded. that's an old wives tale. you are scolding a newb and creating a figment in his mind, about...
  2. T

Sansui 1000 Tube Receiver - Please Help To Troubleshoot

old thread, but worth reviving. I just picked up a Sansui 1000a and want to point out something interesting. the reason these amps can blow fuses upteen times and red plate tubes, and can be turned on without the speakers connected, and still live to be recapped and work another day- is this...
  3. T

best sounding 8 track player

old thread worth reviving you're taking a stand against the 8-track cartridge format, based on many false premises. let me explain: first off, 3.75 IPS is not a "bad" speed. cassette only operates at half that, 1-7/8 IPS. So how bad can 8-track be ? It's 2x the speed of the cassette...
  4. T

next B77 running :)

yes, the meters do "work" within a relatively small range with accuracy- my point is this- a meter that costs $900, should hold calibration within a very small margin of error, throughout the entire range of the scale, from zero to maximum readout. Have you calibrated the meter, and tested...
  5. T

the one I bought was a T2-H7-UM it lists for $445 in their 2010 catalog at this link http://www.tentel.com/Domestic%20Prices.pdf I got it for $22. None have sold recently in 60 days on Ebay, for more than $108. It appears to be a buyers market, and they are being heavily discounted on...
  6. T

exactly...:D if it was that far out of spec, you'd never even get the gauge on it- it would snap the tape first :yes:
  7. T

now, now... temper, temper...I'd say it's you that got a little hot under the collar, and have some egg on your face with the gauge- you're the one with the yellow car...:nono: you seem like a nice enough guy, and anyone repairing old open reel decks should be commended- but... a lot of...
  8. T

I want a better Open Reel deck.

basic rule of thumb for audio tape, if you want "better", go wider on the tape, and higher speed IPS. it's a moot point with consumer open reel, because all the factory released tapes are on 1/4" stereo, at 3.75, 7.5, and 15 IPS. And the 7.5 and 15 IPS stuff is rare, expensive, limited...
  9. T

here's a good one, read the lines, then read between the lines, on calibration. http://www.tentel.com/im.htm If you calibrate those gauges for one weight, they are off for all other weights, their admitted stated margin of error is 3%. The one I have is off by about 100% depending on...
  10. T

if you read their instruction manual, the gauge was designed to use with Beta and VHS decks and tapes, not open reel audio decks moving at slow speeds. The big roller bearing equipped meters, were designed for tape speeds of 150 ips. Using them on an open reel at 3.75 IPS or 7.5 IPS, driven...
  11. T

old thread but worth reviving, I recently picked up a tentelometer, what surprised me is for how expensive they are, they have a plastic case and lens. They go for big bucks $100+ used, and to be honest, I paid $30 for mine. If I had paid $100, I'd be returning the damned thing. Reason being...
  12. T

Bad experience - and I'm done for now.

"no longer fun" ?? fixing anything old usually isn't fun, it's a lot of sweat and work- it's the finished product that is fun- and the sense of accomplishment. until then, it's an expensive PITA and a lot of work, and you need to be set up for it, with a repair bench and tools hence...
  13. T

Bad experience - and I'm done for now.

I see a lot of general replies but no specifics- what needs to be done is, the set must be turned on, then traced with a SIGNAL TRACE while music is being played through it, and every component checked, the bad ones found, and replaced. A signal trace is a small box with a tiny speaker and 2...
  14. T

Altec 1594b preamp question....

old thread worth revisiting yeh true 100 watt mono amp should ring your ear but good and rattle the nick-nacks off the shelves, and have the wife , girlfriend, or mom pulling the plug on the amp and bitching at you. there's a strange scene on the net in regards to Altec connectivity...
  15. T

JBL speakers are they really that good?

old thread, worth revisiting- answer NO. They aren't that good. Speaker design is one area where modern advances have been made. collectibility and value, that's another issue
  16. T

Sony TA-1150 YOWSER!!

17. T

First tube 8-track deck.

I've basically already been doing that for 10 years now, I input my Akai or Telex 8 track decks, into an Akai M8. it's like playing a reel to reel but with the convenience of a cartridge, the imaging is AMAZING
  18. T

First tube 8-track deck.

old thread but I have a question- I have been collecting 8 tracks since 1976, are these combo reel units ALL TUBE, or hybrid tube/transistor sets ? I had a hybrid tube/transistor Sony and sold it off, because it lacked the tube sound I was looking for. I'd like to get an all-tube OEM designed...
  19. T

another Ampex A423 rescued

he sold that way too cheap. Must have been hard up for money, or didn't do his homework
  20. T

yes it works. turntable was a little sticky, it's a Gerrard A70, I removed it and lubed it up, got the reject return mechanism unseized, and treated the main drive wheel rubber, cog now it works good, perfect cartridge and needle, but the platter mat was completely dry rotted and fell to pieces...
  21. T

last Friday I found and purchased an Ampex A423 console stereo vintage 1957. What a monster, it was in the upstairs bedroom of a home, we had to move it down a flight of steps, out the back kitchen door, down the porch steps, around the house to load onto my truck. It was like moving a...
  22. T

sorry haven't checked this site or messages in nearly a year, no I don't have any literature on...

sorry haven't checked this site or messages in nearly a year, no I don't have any literature on that unit, I had one and sold it, FWIW they don't really sound that good
  23. T

Toob Noob: Do tubes go bump in the night?

I generally play a tube set until it starts sounding weak or distorted, then test the tubes, usually finding the finals are getting weak- change those about once every 18 months and the sound is restored. The tubes are not shot and still test "ok" on a tester, but not the same as new tubes...
  24. T

Left Channel realy low

I had a low volume problem in (2) M8's and one had a bad PST, the other had a bad OPT but you wouldn't know it by testing the OPT. I just changed it and the volume came right up, so that was it. The bad PST would smell when the amp was on.
Back
Top Bottom