Search results

1. rickb119

It's the "Put A Smile On Your Face" thread, please contribute

For several years, an elderly women had claimed 2 on income tax. One year she claimed 7, and the IRS wanted to know why. Her simple explanation was, "My cat had kittens". ;)
  2. rickb119

~ ~ Z-A Things NOT On Store Shelves Any Longer

Walnettos candy. My all time favorite, in my early youth (late '50's).
  3. rickb119

Potpourri Of The Interesting Stuff

Definitely interesting. The young lady has a very sultry voice.
  4. rickb119

Kind of Lamp:

Are you asking a question, or making a statement?
  5. rickb119

For the ones old enough: did in the '50's and early '60's where optimistic?

In AA, the whiners were often rebutted with, "Poor me. Poor me. Pour me another drink". The one's that understood, stayed sober. The one's that didn't, didn't.
  6. rickb119

Niles speaker selector question

I'd do that myself. Just because. Keep in mind that you will be measuring resistance and the speaker is rated in impedance. So a speaker with an impedance of 8 ohms, will not read 8 ohms of resistance. My 8 ohm bookshelf's measure 5.4. My 4 ohm floor standing measure 4.3.
  7. rickb119

Niles speaker selector question

From the way I read it, 4 pair of either 4 or 8 ohm would be the max to have operating at one time. (Assuming a 4 ohm capable amp, and the protection button engaged.) Without the protection button engaged, it's no different than connection the speakers directly to the amp (other than being able...
  8. rickb119

KEF owners thread

https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2013/02/kef-model-101.html Pay no attention to the 20-100w power recommendation. You could drive them with a 500w amp and be just fine, so long as you don't crank it to the point of distorting the sound. And, although they do have built in overload protection, I...
  9. rickb119

Retail (vintage/high end) Audio, secret handshake or something?

Many simply don't want strangers knowing where they live, and what they have (or might have) in their home, and or garage. The internet, and various payment methods have made that possible. At a vintage shop, I would expect to be able to demo whatever I was interested in. And if not, my online...
  10. rickb119

SX-1050 Tuning Knob Glued On?!?

I'm guessing the someone first stripped it by using a ball end allen, then totally mangled it with a screwdriver. I've successfully removed many very small screws/set screws using a reverse drill bit. The 'key' to doing that is to first use a regular bit to make an indentation for the reverse...
  11. rickb119

SX-1050 Tuning Knob Glued On?!?

To me, it looks as though 'something' is down in that hole. If the set screw was missing, I'd expect to see a smooth shaft. If what I see is a mangled set screw, try using a reverse drill bit. If the knob is indeed glued on, you're pretty much SOL.
  12. rickb119

Recommendation for 1/4" TS to RCA Unbalanced Single Interconnect?

Have you tried Parts Express? Here's their RCA adapters. https://www.parts-express.com/search?keywords=rca%20adapter
  13. rickb119

Kef 104/2 - What is possible out of the great concept?

As mentioned, placement makes a difference. Room acoustics also greatly affects sound. In a previous home, I rearranged furniture, and was shocked at the difference in sound (and not in a good way). In another previous home, the placement was that one speaker was in a corner, and the other open...
  14. rickb119

Your opinion?

I've not heard the 939, but you do bring up a good point about the 1010. If the OP decides to get a 1010, he should plan on rebuilding the power supply. And, examining before purchase would be prudent. (If an online sale, ask for a picture.) I was fortunate with mine as I got it from the...
  15. rickb119

Your opinion?

Before you use it, check to see which driver boards it has. If it has the 6013 boards, you're good. If it has the 1040 boards, do some research to learn how to modify them. Otherwise, if driven hard, it could catch fire. Sansui actually had a recall, and many were swapped out under warranty. Too...
  16. rickb119

Your opinion?

Some (many?) say that the Pioneer SX-1010 is their best sounding receiver (and better than many other brands). Having owned one (in addition to the 850 & 1250), I agree. Not the cheapest out there (don't know what you consider affordable), but by far the best, sweetest sounding of the other 2...
  17. rickb119

Talk me out of this

I had a pair of M201's for a while and didn't really care for them. Yes, they are very good sounding speakers, but with my 'old' ears, I had difficulty hearing TV audio as the sound bounced all over the place.
  18. rickb119

Potpourri Of The Interesting Stuff

Honey, break out the grill and call the neighbors. We're gonna have us a BBQ!
  19. rickb119

The 6% commission on buying or selling a home is gone

The quote in post #36 is from a professor at a prestigious business school. And your degree is......................?
  20. rickb119

The 6% commission on buying or selling a home is gone

I was in error in stating "In the current market". To have avoided confusion, I should have begun with, "If the market remains strong when the law changes, there will be.........."
Back
Top Bottom