Search results

1. BankShot

Bob Carver designed/manufactured gear

Bought new and still own two PL400 amps. Both have been used a lot over the years and both have been gone thru, "cleaned & tweaked" and continue to run perfectly. No problems with either one other than a couple of meter bulbs went south and had to be replaced. Never did experience the "Flame...
  2. BankShot

Anyone install a dedicated electrical circuit for audio system?

Late last year I installed a dedicated 20 amp circuit using a Romex (don't remember if it was 12/2 or 12/3) run to run just my audio gear that includes an SAE P500 amp that at the last service check indicated 640 wpc into an 8 ohm load. I run the rest of my stuff inc.TV, DVR, Clock, and one DAC...
  3. BankShot

which dream vintage system do you pick?

:dunno: I pik da wun wit da bigest speekers and da mos powrful wauts owtput............... :bigok:
  4. BankShot

Recording grand pianos

I run OB's in my system and a grand piano sounds like a grand piano as does a female vocalist sound like a female vocalist. In fact when I listen to Rhapsody in Blue played on a concert grand it sounds like the piano is in my room and the resonances from it are live and very, very real.............
  5. BankShot

What have I learned in 50 odd years in this hobby ...

Been in this hobby since I was 19 and I won't tell you how many years that involves, suffice to say it's more than 50. My hearing isn't what it once was but i can still tell the difference between a well set up system and a poorly not thought out one. So much hype and other crap out there to...
  6. BankShot

Which are for you best vintage power amplifiers?

Can't believe I overlooked this old thread, but I did. I have to add the SAE P500 to this illustrious list of various big vintage amps listed in the above posts. I've owned mine since 1986 and it's been the main driving force in my system all these years and not a single problem with it...
  7. BankShot

McIntosh / Phase Linear System ... Deal!

Where is this ebay auction at? I went thru every California one listed and couldn't find any of the things mentioned. What am I missing here................???
  8. BankShot

McIntosh / Phase Linear System ... Deal!

What auction site would that be damacman...........??? If it's close by me I'll be all over those Andromedas..............
  9. BankShot

Who made the best vintage audio?

Someone correct me if I am mistaken here but in 9 pages I didn't see one single mention of a company that was considered by many in the audio business back in the 70s and 80s, to be one of the most sought after brands. If you owned Mac, Marantz, or few of the other smaller names such as...
  10. BankShot

"From the 20th Century to the 21st in 45 Minutes"

Thanks everyone for reaffirming my jump in this century. Being from the old school of audio and sound, I was very much okay with what my system consists of but I did come to realize that I could make my listening sessions a tad more enjoyable by adding the SONO Connect ahd having the added...
  11. BankShot

Hey Ken - Yep I be into the 21st century now alright. Took me a while to make it happen but I am very happy with how it all came together using the SONOS Connect. Works perfectly for what I wanted to be able to do with my vintage SAE system. As for dimming the lights and the other things you...
  12. BankShot

I admit it, I am an old school audio guy. My main listening system over the years consists of high end gear from the mid to late 70s, and I have had no remote capabilities to keep me from getting up to change a CD in the CD deck or adjust the volume on the pre-amp. Up until two days ago that...
  13. BankShot

Would anyone like to share the artwork they have in their listening room?

Sorry some of the picture washed out due to the flash used when taken but that's a trumpet on the right and violin on the left. In the center is the opening few bars to Bach's "Toccata & Fugue in d Minor". I had it done at a local printer who blew up the original I brought in and then I had it...
  14. BankShot

"Andromeda III Re-Cap Done"

After approx. 38 years I finally bit the old bullet and had my Andromeda's recapped. All four panels were done and after looking at many different brands and prices of caps settled on using Solen as my cap of choice. Long story short I am pleased with the results with only about 16 hours of...
  15. BankShot

"Need Input From Any Electrical Folks"

Hey folks - Been busy travelling and haven't had much time to really get into my original post problems until just recently. Here's the "rest of this story". First off I decided to swap out an in wall dimmer switch and 6 old 100 watt bulbs in ceiling enclosures for new LED bulbs. Also...
  16. BankShot

Powering up/down sequence

I run one pre-amp that controls two separate amps. I always turn the pre on first, then the first amp, then the second. After that whatever source I am using. In the off sequence everything is reversed. Been doing this for many years and have no problems. I was told this way back when by a...
  17. BankShot

I did think early on that it may be the surge protector but again the 60 hz hum that is present in the sub would be passed on to the panels also, am I not correct? I don't believe it would just end with the sub? So I haven't gone back to the SP as yet but perhaps I should check it out and try...
  18. BankShot

trwham I hear what you are saying but each of the panels contain two 8" mid bass drivers that are capable of handling frequencies down to around 40 hz. The signal comes from the amp directly to the sub where frequencies well above that are sent on to the panels. I would imagine that any 60 hz...
  19. BankShot

Hey Ken - Long time no communicate with. I changed my username some time back from TSOQ to Bankshot. You and I have communicated several times in the past regarding PL Andromeda III Systems. Glad to know you are still around and on the forum. I haven't been on it for a while but when I ran...
  20. BankShot

I appreciate all the input from everyone as this one really has me stumped. I know my system, I assembled it and wired it all together by myself but evidently there is something amiss in my house wiring I am thinking. Installing the dedicated 20 amp circuit and using a special wall socket I...
  21. BankShot

What I learned on Craigslist

This is a very special edition Pontiac Thunderbird and it does have the original 6.6 ltr. 44000 engine!!! I guess that must mean it has 44000 horsepower or 44000 pound feet of gargantuan torque. 0-60 in that thing must really snap you back in the seat, and right into the...
  22. BankShot

That's a possibility and I will also have the electrician check all that when he comes out. Finding one that doesn't want an arm, leg and you audio system I am finding is pretty difficult. The weird thing is that the hum is only coming from the one sub. As mentioned earlier I would thing that...
  23. BankShot

Done that already and it didn't eliminate the hum so am still searching. Thanks for the input and suggestion..............
  24. BankShot

Each amp is plugged into a separate sure protector. The main amp uses a Monster unit, the secondary amp is just into a standard Radidio Shack unit but both surge protectors are plugged into the same dual wall socket. I am having an electrician put in a separate 20 amp circuit very soon and...
  25. BankShot

Here's my problem: Recently I have been experiencing an almost inaudible 60 hz hum in my system. And here's where it's occurring and how my system is set up................ I run two separate PL Andromeda III systems with each powered by a separate amp but controlled by the same pre-amp. The...
Back
Top Bottom