Search results

1. dolphyisgod

Decware Rachael SE34I.5

That's definitely my thinking. Already saving up for a ZP3 and a new turntable.
  2. dolphyisgod

Decware Rachael SE34I.5

I doubt you'll be disappointed. There is very little interference between the signal and speaker in the Rachael, and the EL84 amps seem even more so in that regard from what I can tell. If it were me, I'd consider building two of them and running them in some sort of mono (preferably) or bi-amp...
  3. dolphyisgod

Decware Rachael SE34I.5

So I've had the new rig up and running for a few weeks and... holy smokes. Within the past two days, a matter of hours really, soundstage just went berserk. I mean that in a good way. Three-dimensionality the like I have never quite encountered in a system. And it's not as if I have a perfectly...
  4. dolphyisgod

Decware Rachael SE34I.5

Right on. Has made noticeable improvement even over the course of a few hours. Billy Higgins' ride cymbal on the trio recordings with Cedar Walton just hung there, floating in suspension. Hadn't heard anything quite like it outside of a live performance. I'm going to let the current set-up roll...
  5. dolphyisgod

Decware Rachael SE34I.5

After months and months (and months) of anxious waiting, a brand-new Decware SE34I.5 was delivered safely to my home today. I started a previous thread way back when, which solidified my decision to go with this one. I thought I'd start this new one to keep a running tab of impressions as I get...
  6. dolphyisgod

TubeDAC-11

Congrats on the new pick-up! The TD-11 has been my stand-by for years -- it may not be the best DAC technically speaking, but I haven't found anything more musical yet. There are too many configurations to go over in a short space, but I run my macbook through optical, CD player through S/PDIF...
  7. dolphyisgod

Decware Question

Yes indeed!
  8. dolphyisgod

Decware Question

Well... It took a LOT longer than I had expected. Funds dried up for a few months but finally the planets aligned in the proper order. So today I went ahead an placed an order for the Decware SE34I.5 Rachael. Felt right on several levels -- just enough power, self-bias, cool meters...
  9. dolphyisgod

New Grills for Cornwalls

I have some beautiful Cornwall's from 1978, with some grills that are worn out. The main problem is the baffles, which are bent and flimsy with age. Any recommendations on what material to use to make new baffles? Where to find new material (other than the original black fabric sold by Bob...
  10. dolphyisgod

Decware Question

You's guys are killing me. Too many great options... I almost didn't want to start this thread, because the options just proliferate... Of course I've seen Dennis Had amps online and they're absolutely stunning. Something to explore later on down the line. But for now, after considering what...
  11. dolphyisgod

Decware Question

Thanks for the feedback. Still have a lot to think about/work out, but that SE341 is now at the top of the list.
  12. dolphyisgod

Decware Question

I assume that you had a preamp in the chain in front of your SE-84? or were you using it as a stand-alone integrated? Just wondering strain from such minimal wattage could be ameliorated with a pre (which these Decware amps seem built to accept)... I had also been considering Bottlehead's in...
  13. dolphyisgod

Decware Question

Thanks mhardy for the comments, really helpful, especially since you've used it with the same speaker complement more or less. Since it is a main system, I made need that extra punch. Always have loved the EL34 too. Also appreciate your signature lines... been listening to the new album all...
  14. dolphyisgod

Decware Question

I've been looking for a SET amp for my main system, and after a lot of research I'm fairly set on Decware. I'm down to choosing between two of their amps. The two that are in my price-range are the Rachael (SE341.4) and the Zen Triode (SE84CKC). The Rachael looks like it would provide a bit...
  15. dolphyisgod

Tube dac 11 sounds grainy and rattly on some songs

I would first unseat and re-seat the tube. It may look properly installed but be loose. If you are using the stock tube and still having this issue, then replace with an upgrade. These are easy first steps to take. Also, you may have to adjust the gain (volume) on your 11. Some tracks with heavy...
  16. dolphyisgod

Vinyl vs. CD - the hidden advantages

This isn't a thread about sound quality per se, which I'm thankful for. As someone with a large digital collection, and a smaller vinyl collection, I don't really feel like a partisan in the vinyl vs. digital battles. Both have their merits, highly dependent upon the individual recording and...
  17. dolphyisgod

Are DACs worth it?

A lot of great info on this thread for you. Just one point here... Best to rip to AIFF format. It's uncompressed, as opposed to ALAC (Apple Lossless). Just a hair of difference between the two, but I definitely find AIFF to be superior.
  18. dolphyisgod

Are DACs worth it?

The answer is a qualified yes. I also run files from a Macbook, and have experimented around with different configurations and DACs. A quality outboard DAC will improve even mp3's and streaming, and make a dramatic leap for lossless. A tubed DAC is optimal for digital files IMHO, as is using...
  19. dolphyisgod

Who likes Scotch with your Music

Great thread for the end of the year. For me two stand above the rest... Oban from the Highlands and Ardbeg for the Islay... add some 60s Miles Quintet and I'm good to go! I've also had tremendous Japanese single-malt whiskeys... Can't remember the names, but couldn't care less about...
  20. dolphyisgod

Preferred Pioneer Receiver Sound

I really do think that this is speaker-dependent. That said, my SX-750 has become the reference amp for my Klipsch Cornwalls. Since these are sensitive, any more power yields diminishing returns IMHO. A 1250 really would be wasted on them. The 750 has a very neutral presentation, and I've...
  21. dolphyisgod

Cartridge for Pioneer PL-15d-ii

You the man, Balifly. That should do the trick!
  22. dolphyisgod

Thanks for the link, Balifly. I think I'll do that first. Is the 445 a particularly nice cartridge? Being relatively new to phono, I haven't been able to find much info about it. I'd also like to check out other cartridges to see how install and balance them, and to see how they affect the...
  23. dolphyisgod

I just picked up a Pioneer PL-15d-ii TT from a comrade here on AK, as a way of getting back into vinyl. Consider it Turntables 101 for me -- I'm looking to use this to play around, learn as much as I can about how it works and how to improve it, enjoy the hell out of some great records, before...
  24. dolphyisgod

Noob DAC-11 user - volume level question

what njcanuck says. the volume will not effect the performance of the tube. however, you should play around with the volume to hit a kind of "sweet spot" for your system. for mine, that's somewhere between 2 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the dial, and others have reported similarly. have fun with...
  25. dolphyisgod

Eastpoint -- Great Seller

Turntable arrived exactly as described, packed extremely well and shipped promptly. Easy communication, good guy. Would definitely do business with EastPoint again!
Back
Top Bottom