Search results

1. W

Zenith MN2604 Turntable Malfunction

I'm no expert on these and it's been a while since I've worked on one but it is obviously cycling repeatedly. I would have to guess most of what is causing this behavior is gummed up grease (probably of the cycling cam components) and/or parts out of adjustment. The only way to get these VOM...
  2. W

Old Magnavox help

Does it cycle with the platter in place? I'm not familiar with Magnavox tables, but most changers need the platter in place so that the gear on the platter can drive the cam which in turn drives the tonearm.
  3. W

Cartridge ID?

That looks like the aftermarket stylus that I use on an Ortofon FF15XE MKII. Pretty sure it also fits Ortofon VMS carts.
  4. W

Help finding a Cart for a Old Zenith console

No problem. Hope it turns out to be helpful.
  5. W

Help finding a Cart for a Old Zenith console

If it has one of Zenith's Microtouch 2G tonearms (if so it should be marked as such on the tonearm) then the original cartridge should have been mounted by way of small pegs or pins on either side, located towards the rear of the cart bracket, that would sort of snap in (at least on the one and...
  6. W

Pioneer H-R99 8 track issues.

If you haven't already, you may want to give the record/playback switches another cleaning. I've had a couple of decks that took three or four rounds with Deoxit before the signal was clean.
  7. W

Magnavox turntable info PLEASE

Perfectly understandable, my first thought was BSR too. It's what you'd expect to see on an all-in-one of the era.
  8. W

Magnavox turntable info PLEASE

Looking at the photo of the back of the unit, it looks like there is a record clamp similar to what BIC used on their tables. It has a bent stacking spindle, also like BIC. I had a Zenith all-in-one pass through my hands a couple years back that had a BIC-made table in it. Had some flavor of a...
  9. W

best sounding 8 track player

It is metal.
  10. W

1966 Sylvania speakers - tweeter issues

I had the same thing happen to a horn tweeter on an old Zenith console. If I remember correctly, what was left of the voice coil lead was too short to reach the lug so I soldered a single strand of wire to it and then soldered that to the lug. It took a couple of tries to get it right but it did...
  11. W

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, in case anyone reading this still cares, I'm using a Centrex/Pioneer RH-60. It is an excellent playback and recording deck. With a good quality cart friends often can't tell that they are listening to a tape.
  12. W

If you use weather strip you should put some clear tape, like shipping tape, on the face to replicate the friction reducing strip you mention. However, I find it much easier to use the repair pads that are available from Kate's Track Shack. They are of fantastic quality and much better than any...
  13. W

What tape (any format) are you playing now?

Van Halen 1, 8-track, on my beloved Centrex/Pioneer RH-60. Sounds great!!!
  14. W

Technics SA-200 issues

Hello all. I’m working on a Technics SA-200 receiver equipped with STK0029 power packs. This is my first time working on a unit with power packs and I’m just a hobbyist so I could use a little advice. Through the headphone jack, the right channel is outputting constant hum, the left channel...
  15. W

Kansas City

FM Music in North Kansas City, just across the river from downtown. Nice shop and Faron, the owner, is very knowledgable and a really nice guy.
  16. W

Headshell/tonearm hum due to dirty or loose connection?

Don't know if this will apply here as I'm not familiar with Thorens, but I've had two AR-XAs that exhibited the same type of behavior when fiddling with the headshell. I finally took some fine emery cloth to the headshell contacts, very lightly, just to remove any possible oxidation. It cleared...
  17. W

Interesting BIC/LXI turntable

That photo of the spring placement above the selector arms is correct. Make sure that everything is seated properly. Part two of the video covers this, starting at about the 1:53 mark. At around the 4:48 mark he covers putting the spring back on. He talks about cutting the spring down to improve...
  18. W

That sounds like a cool store. Good luck finding what you need. I can relate to the tale of the flying c-clip. Same thing happened to me. After 45 minutes of hunting and swearing I sat down, closed my eyes, took a couple of deep breaths, opened my eyes and there it was, exactly dead-center in...
  19. W

You might be able to find substitute parts if you have a hardware store with specialty items. Around here we have Westlake Ace Hardware and they have bins with specialty stuff. In addition to regular washers they have machine washers in various inside/outside diameters. Odds are good you can...
  20. W

Well, the good news is, you're halfway there... ;) Looks like you're well organized. That's half the battle right there. I've always been able to get by with just gentle scraping to remove the heavy stuff followed by cotton swabs, cotton balls and soft rags soaked in 91 percent isopropyl...
  21. W

Oh man, sorry to hear these latest troubles. Sounds to me like something is jammed or misadjusted. Hardened grease is probably at work here too, especially if the levers are stuck again. At this point, I would probably tear the mechanism down, clean out the old grease and then reassemble with...
  22. W

Yes, what you circled is the spring in question. I just can't tell whether your table variant actually had it or not. I'm limited in knowledge to what I know from my 960 and the BIC-equipped Zenith I worked on one time. Looking at your photos again, I'm going to go back to something Doug G...
  23. W

From what I can see in your photos it looks very similar to the normal BIC cueing setup. I know the exploded parts view in the service manual makes it a little hard to visualize how it all goes together, but there is a service bulletin for 960/980 tables that addresses repacking the damping...
  24. W

BIC 980 Auto-Return Issues

Glad to hear it's at least working as a manual table. This thread may be of some help in fixing the always goes to 7" set down position: https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-bic-980-tt.460106/
  25. W

BIC 980 Auto-Return Issues

Maybe I can help by breaking down step-by-step how to play a record manually on a BIC table: 1. If you are using the short, single-play spindle, put the record on the platter. If using the tall multi-play spindle, put the record on the spindle and wiggle it down past the stop so it is on the...
Back
Top Bottom