Search results

1. dcgillespie

Untapped Potential: Heath's W-5M

INTRODUCTION Much has been written about these amplifiers ranging from their wonderful sound, to restoration needs, to their transformer failures. I’ve long been familiar with the W-5, with my first contact over 40 years ago when I was gifted one by a family member who built it in 1958. It...
  2. dcgillespie

MX-110Z: A Simple Modification for Reducing Hum

If @monkboughtlunch is anything, he is relentlessly persistent. For nearly 4 years he has contacted me at various times regarding a hum in his MX-110Z, over which time we discussed virtually every aspect of resolving it save throwing the kitchen sink at it. It was particularly problematic when...
  3. dcgillespie

Hidden Treasure: Bringing Out The Very Best of Dynaco's SCA-35

This thread presents a significant work for this amplifier, examining all of its virtues and warts, providing explanation of all the various issues, and presents real modifications for resolve. It will be presented in a number of sections as the thread develops, which will allow for questions or...
  4. dcgillespie

Experimenters -- Just a thought

You guys (and gals) know who you are. The kind who questions: I wonder how this configuration works, those tubes perform, this design consideration helps (or not), or that much power sounds, etc., etc., etc. -- and has the where-with-all to not only ponder, but experiment with these questions...
  5. dcgillespie

500C/800C: 6HR6 Versus 6AH6

To my knowledge, these are the only Fisher receivers that used the 6HR6 tube (in the 1st IF Amplifier position), as previous versions of these receivers used a rather standard 6AU6 in that position. Today the 6HR6 has limited availability, with cost being quite high, leading to the search for...
  6. dcgillespie

MA-5 MPX ADAPTER

The basic design of the MPX section in this little unit is very similar to the MPX circuits in all Mac vacuum tube tuners and tuner/preamps. But does anyone know if there were ever any specifications published regarding its performance? This usually amounts to little more than a specification of...
  7. dcgillespie

Bullet Proofing The EFB Cathode Bias Regulator

As with most things, time causes change, and so it has now with the cathode regulator iteration of EFB™. This approach to applying EFB to an existing amplifier -- or even new projects -- has been successfully carried out many hundreds of times either through the use of available boards for the...
  8. dcgillespie

Parts and Pieces: A True ARC Mystery

I was originally thinking of using names like Humpty Dumpty or The Phoenix in the title of this thread. But as will be seen, they don't fully describe the full context of the project, although large elements of those names certainly apply. Humpty Dumpty implies attempting to put something back...
  9. dcgillespie

Rare Beauty: Fairchild's 275 Amplifier

There are few pieces of vintage audio equipment that achieve the status of universal praise. A number of factors of course help to decide entry into the club, with exclusivity (i.e., low production numbers) certainly being one of them. But ultimately, these pieces have to deliver the goods, so...
  10. dcgillespie

Improving Fisher's Heater String Cathode Bias System

I have dealt with the various problems of this design approach many times on AK, either with those looking to have the power amplifier section of interconnected console pieces operate in stand alone fashion, or with those whose output tubes are (literally) burning up in such designs. An example...
  11. dcgillespie

Another Rabbit Hole -- Fender This Time

Like many of you, my introduction to serious audio amplification happened many decades ago back in the 60s, when my brother and I and 3 other guys got together and formed a pretty decent garage band in Indy. Part of that experience also included the scratch building of 4 knockoffs (slightly...
  12. dcgillespie

Fender Technical Question: Final Twin and Early Showman Output Transformers

Back in the 60's, I was a teenager, and played bass (EBO) in a pretty good garage band in Indy (the epicenter of the garage band phenomenon back in that day), and was huge into Fender at the time, having scratch built modified (one channel) Twin Reverb amps for the lead and thythm players, a...
  13. dcgillespie

A Reference 400 Restoration/Modification

Recently, an inquiry was made about all the various things done to restore a typical Fisher receiver, and what all the various modifications available were, since there was no one place to go to get all of this information. Having recently finished up a 400 receiver (early version in this case)...
  14. dcgillespie

The Fisher Phase Inverter Noose Revisited Part II (for 400 and 500/800B receivers)

This thread should be considered as a continuation of or part of this thread here, wherein operation of the phase inverter noose was examined in detail in Fisher's larger receivers, the 500C/800C...
  15. dcgillespie

The Fisher Phase Inverter Noose Revisited (for 500C/800C receivers)

Nearly 6 years ago now, I posted a thread entitled "Improving the Fisher 400", which straight away jumped into a discussion about a specific resistor used in the design of the 400 receiver (and indeed many of Fisher's other receivers and integrated amplifiers. These resistors -- 150K in value as...
  16. dcgillespie

KX-100/X-100B -- Fitting A New Output Transformer

Anyone who has lurked around the AK Fisher Forum for very long has probably come across threads by Fisher Folks who either bought a KX-100 or X-100B with one or both OPTs bad, or had an otherwise good one die on them while in service. This usually prompts calls for help either in fitting or...
  17. dcgillespie

Fisher's First High Power Stereo Amplifier: The SA-300

I may get a whole lot of blow-back on this one, but here goes: I've never been particularly fond of the Fisher SA-300. Besides the SA-1000, it was the last of the high performance stand alone stereo basic amplifiers Fisher produced, serving as big brother to the SA-100 during its five year run...
  18. dcgillespie

Rx For the Magnavox 8800 Series

When I posted my original thread on the 8600 series, I had absolutely no idea of the interest it would generate in the AK tube community. Then when AKer Kidmoe asked me to go through a 9300 series model he'd donate for the cause, the undying love for Magnavox console amplifiers was again...
  19. dcgillespie

Fisher's Original Bad Boy: The 50A Power Amplifier

When the 50A showed up on the 1952 audio scene, everybody took note. In one fell swoop, Avery both broke long established rules, and could arguably be credited with starting the first High Fidelity power war. Frank McIntosh had recently introduced the world to his innovative 50 watt Unity...
  20. dcgillespie

MR 67 Feed thru Caps

Does anyone know if Mac still has any inventory on these, or if not, where a source might exist? 1000 pF. Thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide. Dave
  21. dcgillespie

Taming the HH Scott 208

I spend much of my time hanging around Fisher gear, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate quality pieces from other manufacturers as well. Besides Fisher -- Eico, Heath, Mac, Dynaco and Scott pieces all populate my listening room. Within my Scott stable, I have a very nice LC-21, LT-110...
  22. dcgillespie

A Vintage Restoration of a Vintage Classic: Scott's Original LK-72

A huge element of this story involves when it took place. As a result, those of all ages who are new to this hobby may find it enlightening. For those of us who were really part of vacuum tube audio at the time will remember all too well........ 1993: I was given a beautiful brown face LK-72 by...
  23. dcgillespie

The Statesman (202-T) Wide-Band AM-FM Multiplex Tuner Preamp

An interesting hook, since Fisher never produced such an animal......... There's not many pieces of Fisher vacuum tube equipment that I haven't seen or worked on. Like everyone else, I have my favorites, but ever since I added a MPX sub-chassis to a Statesman/202-T tuner/preamp for a client...
  24. dcgillespie

Avery's "First" Maker: The TA-800

1960: These were heady times at Fisher Radio Corporation. Stereo was the rage, the power war was on, and innovations were appearing overnight. Fisher was well into the process of quickly making its brilliant pivot from an emphasis on "separates" to emphasizing its all-in-one line of integrated...
  25. dcgillespie

Heathkit's W-3AM: A New Beginning:

INTRODUCTION And so we come to the last of Heath’s early Williamson offerings, the W-3AM. For reference, the previous two entries into this Heath saga can be found here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/regilding-the-gilded-lily-heaths-w-2m.767851/...
Back
Top Bottom