Search results

1. C

The Franken-Can: R2D2 goes back to the future

<blows dust off topic> sorry for the "lack of updates"... i broke 2 ribs shortly after the last post, and that has made for a real "lack of progress"... :tears: pictures later, but all the chrome is cleaned, and came up well... it's pitted pretty bad in spots, but it's more than...
  2. C

weekend progress... - got the button mechanism assembly apart... gummed up mess that it is... however, it looks like all the wires still go where they are supposed to go, so hopefully with a little care and feeding, i'll be able to get some functionality out of them... sadly, i had a...
  3. C

that's a good idea on the rubber grommets... the big thing i have to consider is replacing the bulbs if (when) they burn out... they have to be able to be changed from the "inside"... the plastics are held onto the juke by little frames that go around them on the outside, and those frames...
  4. C

that's an interesting idea that i hadn't considered... i gotta look into that... in terms of keeping the "original incandescent look" for the big plastics, i could use c7's with clear 7 watt bulbs... if i'm doing the math right, that would be very close to the "original" lighting... that...
  5. C

recap to date/phase 3 so phase 2 is almost complete... another couple hours of work (still have to clean/prime/paint the baffle), and it will be done... a recap of where the project stands... - can itself is out of my hands... :banana: - silver iris has been ordered for the...
  6. C

it was a slow day in the office today, so i was able to get out a bit early and get some work done... :) it's almost ready to be turned over to swmbo for the exterior paint job.... it would have been closer to ready, but i ran out of primer... i thought 2 big cans would be more than...
  7. C

thanks! that's pretty cool. gonna check it out.
  8. C

yup, it sure seems like the right tool for the job... it should fit right on there (screw pattern looks to be the same)... it should produce some pretty good sound... and it should be pretty easy, which is an important consideration for version 1... re: lighting. that's a good point on...
  9. C

lighting control something else to wrap your brains around... :) i have to replace all the lighting... i think it would be prudent to go with an led's... it definitely would NOT be prudent to put what was in there back in... for reference, this is what a restored one looks like...
  10. C

after an exchange of emails with darrel and diana at hawthorne audio (VERY friendly and helpful folks), we have white smoke coming from the tower... :yippy: what the heck, a dancing banana or two to commemorate the occasion as well... :banana: :banana: for fcv1, "we" have ordered a...
  11. C

^^^ fwiw, i'm really liking the full-range idea a LOT... seems to combine a lot of function into an easier to work with package... re: silver iris... is this what you are referring to? i'll have to do some searching on the "vintage" angle... my quick look showed many different...
  12. C

i did some searching around for line arrays after you posted that last night... found a little bit about the sweet 16 and a lot about other arrangements... it certainly sounds like an interesting option... big sound from a bunch of little speakers... seems i say that about every option...
  13. C

yea, the more i think about it, the more i think that mono is the way to go... i'm still open to being convinced otherwise though... :) re: coax/triax. are you referencing something like this from paudio?... if so, that would be a definite option... i like simple solutions (especially...
  14. C

thanks for adding to the "speaker list"... :) and thanks for the encouragement... some responses from me... - when i was doing the "feasibility study" for this (i.e. daydreaming when i should have been working :nono: ), i put a $500 price tag on the speaker(s)... that's reasonably...
  15. C

something i hope someone will comment on... when i first started this, i "guessed" that a mono configuration would be the best way to go, because i have no experience with placing a pair of speakers right next to each other, and simply assumed that there would be issues with that... that's...
  16. C

re: speakers... after perusing the indignia thread, i did some searching around for kits... how about the recession buster kit from madisound? total cost is not much more than indignia's, and has the big advantage (for me) of coming with pre-cut cabinets...
  17. C

AK Design Collaborative - Insignia-Class Economy Speakers (a.k.a Indignia)

after spending some time reading this thread... :) as far as cabinets go... these here are 36 dollars a pair, shipped... they are .36 cu/ft though, instead of .38... would this be ok? edit: after looking closer, i don't think the woofer will fit... they are only 7 inches wide... darn...
  18. C

i'll check that one out, thanks... :) as far as the rattling/resonances go... thinking about that, the best way to go may be to borrow from the car audio world, and use a cld like damplifier... yea, making a back door is a good idea too... another item to add to the list...
  19. C

the can shows a little leg... progress has been made for 3 days in a row... always a positive thing... :) got part of it stripped today... still a ways to go, but it's going reasonably well... a couple of pics...
  20. C

not sure on the tubes... i'll look tomorrow and see what i can identify on them... if they turn out to be something you want, dibs are yours... :) tubes are another thing i know nothing about... i only remember them from when i was a kid, and when the tv wouldn't work we had to bring tubes...
  21. C

ok, i think i understand all of that... and i'll continue away at the elbow grease part of the job... :) some feedback from me... and now i'm realizing i should have reserved a post at the beginning of this thread to keep track of things... :sigh: 1) as far as the room itself... i...
  22. C

for discussion's sake... let's say that we went with a pair of the fr125's that you note in that post... two small enclosures should be do-able... :) what direction would you then go for the woofer?
  23. C

cool! occasional encouragement if (when?) i hit the rough spots would be appreciated as well... :) i believe it will be well worth it as well... this is turning out to be a bit larger of a project than originally envisioned (buy juke, slam in ipod dock, slam in powered monitor, call it a...
  24. C

side note: if i can figure out how, i'll change the title of this thread to add "or other new speaker", since the speaker options have expanded...
  25. C

1) ok, cool, i won't take them apart... i wasn't looking forward to that anyway... i've removed enough rusted in screws in the last couple days to last me awhile... :) 2) i have an integrated amp that i would actually like to use... it's a pioneer a35r... if i can use an integrated amp...
Back
Top Bottom