Search results

1. rulerboyz

Audiophoolery?

We already kicked this ball around for 29 pages last year, and in the process played every possible variation on the audiophile skeptic versus believer theme. Take a look: http://mail.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=387950
  2. rulerboyz

Whitney Houston, RIP

What great talent and potential she had. I had hoped that she would be able to make a comeback. I will always remember how fun it was seeing her on her first tour. I was a big fan in the 1980s.
  3. rulerboyz

Singer Bryan Ferry 66, marries son's ex gf, 29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYlJH81dSiw
  4. rulerboyz

What is the largest US export?

This can't be right. Everyone knows that the 4th largest US export is energon cubes.
  5. rulerboyz

Brian Wilson, Beach Boys to Tour for First Time in 46 Years

It would definitely help if you were also a fan of Gershwin's music and knew those pieces well enough to notice the clever ways that Brian had reworked them into the Beach Boys idiom. I believe he mentioned during the show that the Gershwin family had asked him to do that project.
  6. rulerboyz

Pair of questions regarding CD quality and optical

Interesting coincidence: I did a similar test a couple days ago with an LG blu-ray player, comparing the optical out through the DAC on my Ibasso D10 to my Pioneer SA-7500, versus just RCA cables. I noticed that the optical output was more subdued sounding, however I attribute that more to the...
  7. rulerboyz

Class A amplifier with tonecontroller

JVC AX-Z1010TN Super-Digifine Stereo Hi-Fi Amplifier. Made in 1990. Do a search on ebay and you will discover that there is a guy sitting on a stockpile who keeps selling them new in the box. According to the old Gramophone review:
  8. rulerboyz

A/D/S CD3, Repair or Junk it?

Not really overpriced when you consider that this was the cutting edge technology of that era in consumer electronics. Some people also paid large sums of money back then on laserdisc collections. I think that it would be worth fixing. Do a google search and you will find that someone was...
  9. rulerboyz

JVC FX-1010 SuperDigifine with weak left channel

Thank you for the insight jhoyt! I also have a couple newer op amps that I could drop in LME 49860. I will follow the voltage rule and replace with same voltage capacitor, which means time to place another order.
  10. rulerboyz

Coaxial cable(s) for Analog?

I think the question is whether or not you will be able to hear any difference at all in quality. I think both configurations will bat the ball out of the park wth that equipment.
  11. rulerboyz

The Walking Dead

Season 1 was on Netflix Canada. Now that I'm caught up I got the Itunes season pass for season 2.
  12. rulerboyz

Workhorse Cap Replacement 101 Questions

I would be prepared for a challenge, trying to remove the largest capacitors soldered directly to the circuit board. These will most likely have a glue to keep them structurally connected to the board. Plus thicker solder pads underneath that can be a challenge to desolder with only a small...
  13. rulerboyz

SX-1980 no sound ESTATE SALE FIND-FREE

Hello Rob, Congratulations on your nice Pioneer find. Regarding the voltages. DC balance is measured on pins 17(Left channel) and 32(Right channel). You say you obtained 83V, which sounds like you have the scale, since these measurements should be in the low millivolts DC range. You place...
  14. rulerboyz

JVC FX-1010 SuperDigifine with weak left channel

There are two 4.7uF 100v capacitors just before the RCA jacks. I desoldered these and switched the right for the left. Not a proper fix, but I didn't have fresh ones on hand. Will replace once I order new capacitors. It sounds as though it corrected the problem.
  15. rulerboyz

Are these RCA plugs good or bad?

You could spray a little deoxit and scrub with a toothbrush.
  16. rulerboyz

Italian Translation, Please.

hoc scripto means "this document"
  17. rulerboyz

Italian Translation, Please.

Actually this is in Latin bentpencil. I am gathering that this is the type of formal message you see printed on many University Diplomas. If it were in Italian I would be able to read it. So far I can tell that the last two words represent Air Force.
  18. rulerboyz

Insanity, Installing nice film caps in your Marantz Receiver

It might be interesting for you to buy a second unmodified Marantz 2220B just to do an A/B comparison test.
  19. rulerboyz

Pioneer A-7 Recap and Restoration

Hello mech986, I just found your post using the search. Unfortunately I gave up on the A-7 project because of a weakness in the design of this amp. The amp circuit board is attached to the output board with a ribbon cable that runs right under the top cover. A poor design in my opinion...
  20. rulerboyz

New vinyl shops in Ottawa ON?

Interesting, I didn't realize that Planet of Sound carried vinyl. I've only bought stuff from the website so far.
  21. rulerboyz

Screwed up big time. Can someone help me out?

One thing you might try to work to your advantage is that you still have one good side to compare to. That means you can run a diode test, for example, on adjacent diodes on the good side and see what they ought to read. When you find a significant difference on the bad side you had the...
  22. rulerboyz

NAD 7140 tuner(?) not working

I just tried typing LA1235 on ebay. They have a few on there. I have delt with the UK seller littlediode_components before.
  23. rulerboyz

Sansui Receiver - No Sound

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this receiver doesn't appear to require the jumpers in order to work, ie. I think that the Dolby Noise reduction jacks are not exact same concept as the preamp out/in. I have seen other receivers that have both of those types of jacks.
  24. rulerboyz

Does it make sense to simply bypass a bad balance pot?

Did you try cleaning the balance potentiometer with Deoxit D series followed by Faderlube? "The problem is definitely the pot." Could you explain what makes you sure of this?
  25. rulerboyz

Sansui Receiver - No Sound

You could also try to verify that all of your fuses are good. It looks like this receiver has TO-3 type power transistors. You could unplug the unit from the wall and try: http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8370110_test-to3-power-transistor.html
Back
Top Bottom