Search results

1. silvernutsaq

Todays 100.00 Tannoy Find

Nolasally, that's a really great score on a pair of Ardens! I paid 500 for mine and that's a good deal. A set of 385 gold drivers often fetch $1.5-2k. Once refoamed these might be the last speakers you will ever need. I enjoyed mine mated to a Harman Kardon Citation 16 amplifier for a few...
  2. silvernutsaq

Bose 210 Series IV—good deal?

Joe B, if you come across Bose 601 series lll, those are really nice if you find them $200 or less. They don't require much power either. As for impedance ratings, as long as your amp is rated 4-ohm, you should be okay with most speakers in the 4-8 ohm range. Good luck and welcome to Ak!
  3. silvernutsaq

Value of Marantz 2230?

Not really a fan of the 2230 (2238b better imo), I looked at this thread because it had only one question mark after the title.
  4. silvernutsaq

Yamaha cr-3020

Dude I certainly can't argue with you there, however if you refer to page one, what I was responding to (several years ago in fact) is a CR-800. Nowhere did I say I ever owned the CR-3020.
  5. silvernutsaq

I think I found the coolest looking Amplifier

Yeah that's a cool old amp for sure. I've always liked the looks of the Threshold Stasis amps of the Nelson Pass era. But I guess I'm okay with what I've got, two MC-252s, silver Citation 16, and BA-5000 :D
  6. silvernutsaq

Top 10 holy grail cassette decks?

Got this list from Tapeheads: the guy who posted it owns, or his previously owned each and every one and listed them in order of preference. Nakamichi CR-7A Nakamichi Dragon Revox B215 Revox B215S Revox B710 MkII Tandberg TCD-3014A Luxman K05 Luxman 5K50M Eumig FL-1000u Only one I have on the...
  7. silvernutsaq

Using a Lounge Audio LCR Mk.III phono preamp with my MA4100?

A 4100 at minimum deserves a fantastic 8-track player :beatnik:
  8. silvernutsaq

DCM Time Window Speakers - What are they worth today

Don, I've had several pairs of DCMs over the years and most sounded really nice, but yes they are a pain to work on if they need arises. Always liked Dahlquist slightly more anyway, but what made me sell my mint condition pair of TW1a were the Vandersteen 2CE which I still have. If you can find...
  9. silvernutsaq

AU-111 Design by Engineer Chiwaki Kubo

Very technically detailed article , thanks Pete! Would love to hear an AU-111 someday. Very cool that the Sansui engineers put a lot of detail into the phono sections from early on.
  10. silvernutsaq

Does a Sansui owner need to try McIntosh?

Now back to some of the discussion above, just because a company seems to be on a downward trajectory financially, does not necessarily mean their quality will go down. Sansui to their credit, was one of the few manufacturers to keep it real all the way to the end. Yes their models were made...
  11. silvernutsaq

Does a Sansui owner need to try McIntosh?

From early on I've been following this topic with casual interest, only because some responses are a bit predictable. Everybody's got opinions and different perspectives based on their experience. However, to say that McIntosh is the easy winner when comparing integrated amps from the 90s...
  12. silvernutsaq

Pioneer Elite A71 Pics

This is an awesome unit and I'm fortunate to have found one for myself. :music:
  13. silvernutsaq

Crazy Pioneer Elite M90 on ebay

Yep older thread but worth a chime in. I'll put my late '80s Pioneer A-71 Elite integrated up against any Pioneer receiver ever made, and I've owned many. They are fairly rare and were also available in Japan as the A-717 (100v). More info can be found in the Pioneer Elite thread in the Pio...
  14. silvernutsaq

Sansui G-22000 Amp Only

I just read his ad so who knows what he's got, but in fact it is the second biggest receiver, not amp that Sansui made for home stereo. Both the G33000 and BA5000 which I still have were a bit bigger.
  15. silvernutsaq

Sansui G-22000 Amp Only

Hey Thomas, I sold my G22000 last summer for 5K to a guy in the valley who coveted it a year prior when he came over to buy a turntable. It was all original but in fantastic shape and everything worked. I actually think the guy would be interested in picking up a second amp just to have for that...
  16. silvernutsaq

Thiel CS3.5 with equalizer?

It depends on where you live and how desirable audio gear is in your area.
  17. silvernutsaq

ADS floorstanders, Wakefield MA sixty bucks

Well worth 60 bucks for 1090s. I had a pair with imperfect grills and a few scratches but the drivers were perfect and sold them for $400 two years ago.
  18. silvernutsaq

What piece of equipment do you own that you find so undervalued ...

For me it's pieces of equipment that I currently have and likely to keep. I put current price one could likely track one down for. Concept 6.5 receiver, overbuilt and understated, has a max 550-watt power draw, and I consider sonically superior to several Marantz models at 2-3X the price...
  19. silvernutsaq

Pioneer SX-828 or SX1000TW ?

I have a Technics SA-5760 (165wpc) I'd take anyday over a SX-1250.
  20. silvernutsaq

Denon Granada SC-700

Did you find a pair? They have the appearance of being high quality. Price of 90k yen ~$900 in 1989.
  21. silvernutsaq

Dahlquist DQ-20...School me on these.

I love these threads about Dahlquist speakers, and having recently sold my DQ-10s, I won't pass on a pair of the 20s if they pop up near me. Also note not all of Dahlquist models require more than 100 WPC. I own DQM-9 and recently added DQM-5, and they are quite fine with 50 WPC. It really...
  22. silvernutsaq

Dahlquist history

Resurrecting this thread as I recently picked up a set of DQM-5 and am reminded of Jon and the rest of the Dahlquist crew's abilities to put forth outstanding speaker products during their years of production. I've owned a couple sets of DQ-10s, currently have a set of DQM-9, and now these 5s...
  23. silvernutsaq

McIntosh mc2kw amplifiers Anchorage Alaska

They are actually in Seward- 120 miles south of Anchorage. I sent the link last week to a couple guys, and both wondered what speakers they were driving. I believe the answer is ANYTHING you want. Each 3-piece mono module retailed for 89k, so price is a score if these are your cup of tea. Not...
  24. silvernutsaq

how to ruin gear

Burgundy suits in a Holiday Inn lounge! Or was it a HoJo's?
  25. silvernutsaq

Bring Your Own Bag

I'm likely not going to read the entire thread, but I did see the complaint about no signage stating that "bags now have a 10-cent fee". Seriously? Should stores who don't charge now put up a sign "free shopping bags with purchase" ? Just pay the 10 cents and remember to bring a bag next...
Back
Top Bottom