Search results

1. wank

Thanks all. I'm around seldom, as life has changed, but miss it. I shall go in search of the...

Thanks all. I'm around seldom, as life has changed, but miss it. I shall go in search of the wank thread.
  2. wank

Another SoundStageDirect contest -- Modest Mouse 180g 2-LP

Soundstagedirect.com I think I did it right, and the rest of you didn't. ;)
  3. wank

May day... May day... my wife discovered my stash today

I love the "what's the resale value of your porcelain cat collection" (or whatever) line. I get to use that if the issue ever comes up, since this hobby (just like poker) has been a net profit (I've got spreadsheets to prove it), and with not a single penny invested right now, the reasonable...
  4. wank

Aha - Mitsu separates. Also, so this is what a $200 record sounds like

Yeah, I know. But I rarely look at BIN prices. Just like I don't figure my stereo gear is worth what Oak Tree (or whatever they're called) is asking for them. I mostly pay attention to what they actually sold for. And I've sold a few records on ebay - usually when I accidentally notice...
  5. wank

Aha - Mitsu separates. Also, so this is what a $200 record sounds like

Thought I'd briefly mention how nice this move is. But the stacking is awkward. I swapped my main active setup out today after thinking about it for way too long, and wow. I've had my freaking huge and blue Pioneer receiver (SX-D7000) running my ARs and ADS for about two years now. I...
  6. wank

Speaker Terminals (Binding Posts)

Just think - when you get done, you can have stereo! I'm planning to do this to my Mitsubishi power amp with really horrible screw down clamps.
  7. wank

The Stuff I Saw Today (Wow)

Amen.
  8. wank

Rolling Stone trashes Frank Zappa

Precisely. :D
  9. wank

Enjoy the Music.com Launches Android Application

Sweet. I'll be installing that in five minutes.
  10. wank

Heads up to local AKer's ... keep the wife happy !

I started to get irrationally angry just from reading this. I mean, malice aforethought and shit. Man, that sucks.
  11. wank

Rolling Stone trashes Frank Zappa

On topic: I think that review is demonstrably false. Seriously? One size fits all is only remarkable for Sofa No.2? Inca Roads, for god's sake. There are layers upon layers of inspiration and creativity. It wasn't until I listened to that song a couple months ago imagining each voice as a...
  12. wank

Finally! A/D/S coming home!

More of a German speaker, to my mind.
  13. wank

What kind of Advents did I get? Legacy?

Baby or Baby II, I can't remember which had the cone tweeter. Likely the original Baby, since it says 1979. Legacy is a floorstander with 10" woofer, dome tweet, and a wood "kickpanel" at the bottom. Pecan top and bottom. Prodigy is floorstanding with 8" woofer and kickplate - a smaller...
  14. wank

For what it's worth, they're larger than they look (I think), both in actual size and sound. They don't sound like small speakers. Also, I just sold my bedroom Marantz 2238 and replaced it with my 2270 on L420s and they're, um, better.
  15. wank

Nice speakers! I've had two pair and use the pair I've kept (in beautiful shape) as my bedroom speakers. The sound nice on anything. The grills you can smooth out by applying even pressure between two padded surfaces: like a towel wrapped block from the top against a towel on the floor. It...
  16. wank

Sprague 716P Orange Drop, 200V & 400V Where to Buy ?

Put it on a bed of corn flakes and you're cooking with gas. It's better than audio, anyway. And costs less than sex...
  17. wank

Check out my sweet pair of EV Regals I just got....

That's fair. With more time I probably would have said "unremarkable looking", which probably also isn't completely fair to the darned things. In my defense: 1. Mine have virtually no markings other than a "147" on the basket gasket 2. I don't even have a sexy "EV" in the middle of the...
  18. wank

Check out my sweet pair of EV Regals I just got....

I had a pair of those. They sounded really nice on a little EL84 tube amp. Then really bad things happened to the cabs. The 8" on mine (look like yours from behind) are simple 8" paper cones with a whizzer cone. If you want pictures, I can snap a couple and attach.
  19. wank

EL34, "best" of the new crop?

Note to self: Search is your friend. :D I have to place an order for some parts for a guitar amp, prolly with tubedepot, and I think I'll tack a quad of the 6CA7EH on and give them a shot.
  20. wank

12AT7 or 12AX7??

This is consistent with my experience. More glowy = awesomer.
  21. wank

EL34, "best" of the new crop?

Holy Crap! The Winged Cs were about $50 per matched pair a year ago when I was looking at them. Now up to $90. Any thoughts on the Electro Harmonix 6CA7EH ? A comparison to the EL34s generally or the EL34 E? Those are more in my "reasonable price" range. Right now I've got a quad of Ruby...
  22. wank

Guitar tube amp head project - advice?

Jon - all three paragraphs were home runs. Thanks. I'm planning on a new can cap, probably a 50/50@500 JJ since they're reasonable, a third section gets pricey, and then the third RC filter cap a separate (so I can adjust if need be) and go separate and bigger on the cathode bypass cap. I've...
  23. wank

That's what I was hoping - I'd looked at a chunk of those and had kind of ballparked a 10k resistor and 50uF cap off the top of my head. Probably would have been less trouble, and if I do it again, I will. Unfortunately, I have a surplus of time and not much money, so using a pre-existing...
  24. wank

Thanks Jon, you've been outstandingly helpful on the other thread too. Bad news: doesn't answer my question Good news: it's because I already understood that I actually comprehend the concept of the can cap sections and their symbols, even though I know I'll screw up terminology. What...
  25. wank

I started a thread on this project on the musical instruments forum, but I think this is probably the better spot for tube circuit advice. The thread is here: For easier reference, I'm trying to convert a Voice of Music changer mono amp, and here's the original schematic: Here is what I...
Back
Top Bottom