Search results

1. mhedges

Any experience with LG Craft Ice refrigerators?

I’m getting tired of having to periodically defrost this POS Samsung fridge that came with the house and am looking for a new one. Being a bit of an ice snob I’m looking at the LG models with the craft ice capability. Anyone have experience with this ? Or LG refrigerators in general?
  2. mhedges

Anyone order prints lately?

I'm looking to order some prints, specifically split canvas prints, for the first time in a while. Anyone order anything like this recently? Any recommendations? I used to order from Canvaschamp dot com and the prices were pretty good but the quality was spotty, especially at first.
  3. mhedges

Network Stereo receiver recommendations?

Hey all - I'm looking for a new network (wifi) receiver to drive a stereo setup on my back deck. The receiver itself would be located in a attic like storage area that covers part of the deck. So it needs to be able to deal with high temps and also not need frequent physical access. Sources...
  4. mhedges

Firestick / AVR weirdness

Looking for some help diagnosing an annoying issue that's come up since I rearranged my setup. AVR is a older Yamaha RX-V779 which I recently connected to a modern 4K Samsung. Issue I am seeing is a low level of random transient horizontal static lines across the screen. It only happens...
  5. mhedges

Panasonic S series mirrorless cameras

We got the official unveiling of these last night. I gotta day I’m pretty impressed. The bodies look extremely similar to the Nikon Zs, but quite a bit bigger. Also more expensive but they have more features too. In a lot of ways they seem to be what Nikon could have put out if they weren’t so...
  6. mhedges

Backpack recommendations?

My old Tenba backpack is getting too small and I need something bigger. Need to hold: Nikon D5500 (small DSLR) 35 mm 1.8 16-80 zoom 10-20 70-300 Flash Assorted other small stuff. I’d also like for it to be able to hold my tripod on the outside and a water bottle. Any recommendations? I...
  7. mhedges

Help! I'm losing contrast!

Any tips on maintaining contrast with back lit subjects? I am having a lot of trouble with this, with my urban exploration photography. Typically all the light is coming through windows so backlight can't be avoided. If I photograph on an angle I'm generally OK but if I try to shoot something...
  8. mhedges

What makes you feel that your digital photos are safe?

I just filled up my first memory card, but I can’t seem to feel comfortable erasing it. I only have the pics backed up on one hard drive. What do you folks do for backup? Cloud? Multiple hard drives? For now I just bought another memory card, but that’s expensive storage long term.
  9. mhedges

Back Button focus on DSLR's

I've seen a bunch of people say how "back button focus" is better than the standard focus method on DSLR's. I believe what it does is take focus away from the shutter button, so the shutter will always fire when pressed. Instead focus is moved to a button on the back by the thumb wheel - often...
  10. mhedges

Lets see some 100% crops!

It seems like the 100% crop is a common test of digital camera performance. So lets see some! Post the original, then the crop, and give whatever equipment details you can. To prevent the forum software from messing things up the cropped picture shouldn't be any bigger than 800x600. I'll go...
  11. mhedges

Tripod recommendations?

I noticed last night that the head on my old Quantary tripod is cracked. It doesn’t appear to be replaceable, so I guess I need something new. Any recommendations? Budget is 100 max, but I’d like to spend less. My old one had a video style pan/tilt head, with the little arm and everything...
  12. mhedges

Photo hosting/cloud storage options?

What does everyone use for photo hosting or cloud storage? I have been using iCloud, and I'm perfectly happy with the ease of use but I can't deal with the lack of folders much longer. I've just got too many images to have them all in one directory.
  13. mhedges

Recommendations for negative scanning?

I have some color negatives I want to get scanned, but it seems like I'm about 5 years too late as far as finding anyone local to do it. So I guess I have to send them out. Anyone have any recommendations?
  14. mhedges

Game Of Thrones fans?

Apologies if there is already a thread on this - I searched but didn't find one. Any GOT fans here? I am enjoying the new season, although it is bittersweet since there are so few episodes left.
  15. mhedges

Apple discontinuing development of "airport" products

This is old news apparently but I just found it out; apologize if there is already a thread on it: https://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/21/apple-ceases-airport-wireless/ I wonder what this means for AirPlay support? Will they come out with a standalone AirPlay receiver so the ecosystem can...
  16. mhedges

Legion (new X men show on FX)

Anybody catch this the other night? I thought it was pretty good, and the sound was phenomenal. I've just recently put a good surround system in, and so far I can't think of any movie or TV show that's sounded better.
  17. mhedges

Wall mount for Sony SS-M3 or other wider speaker

Im looking for a wall mount for Sony SS-M3 bookshelf speakers. These are the well regarded pyramidal shaped units, but they have a wider base due to the sloped sides. They are about 11 1/2" wide at the base, and most of the mounts I have seen max out at 11" wide. Anyone have any suggestions?
  18. mhedges

Rotated pictures uploading from iPad/iPhone?

Anyone else have issues uploading pictures from iPad or iPhone? The pictures are oriented properly on my camera roll, but when I upload them they are rotated. I have similar problems on another board that uses xenForo. Not sure if there's a fix but maybe someone could tell the developers...
  19. mhedges

OC 703 panels without frames?

I've been able to source OC703 locally and I'm getting ready to do another room treatment build. When I built my Roxul panels the white wood for the frames was the biggest expense, and since the OC703 is rigid I'd like to build these without frames. My question is - how do you secure the cloth...
  20. mhedges

Good way to place panels on the ceiling?

Anyone have a good way to hang/mount treatment panels on the ceiling? Hopefully so there is little to no gap between the ceiling and the panel, and there's no mounting hardware visible? I mounted one with springs and drywall anchors and it looks good but it was a minor nightmare to get up...
  21. mhedges

Yamaha RX-Vx79 series receivers

Anyone else using these? I have RX-V679 downstairs and a RX-V779 upstairs and love them. Great sound quality, decent mobile control app, great music streaming (AirPlay etc.)
  22. mhedges

Nintendo Switch

Anyone else pre-order one? I'm excited for it. Can't wait to play Zelda.
  23. mhedges

Links inside threads

Is it possible to edit links so the text displayed isn't the URL? Long URLS kind of clutter up threads and I'd like to keep it neater.
  24. mhedges

My Upstairs System (NHT / Yamaha / Sony ES)

Some may remember my old system but I've moved and changed out a bunch of stuff so I thought it was time for a new thread. I'm now running a surround system using a few components from the old one. Some details: Speakers: Main: NHT Classic Fours Center: NHT C3 Center Surrounds: NHT Classic...
  25. mhedges

Belt for Sony MDS- JA50ES Minidisc deck?

Can anyone help comfirm the correct size and locate a source for a replacement belt for the TOTL Sony JA50ES deck? The one that was in there was stretched all to hell. It looked to have a 1mm square cross section and should have been about 18 cm circumference, but that was hard to tell given...
Back
Top Bottom