Search results

1. D

EBAY Scams and Tactics-WOW!!!

I've been a warehouse manager for over 20 years. It is my experience that most people do not have a clue about the cost of shipping. As per ebay's calculations, they are based on weight and two zip codes- period. They do NOT include the cost of packing and packing materials. The cost of a...
  2. D

Solid State for HD-650

I've done a lot of searches on this. The bottom line is, I don't want a hot tube amp for my HD-650s. I don't need a DAC because I'm using a FiOO X-1 to play my files. I want something that properly drives these. Pre-outs would be a bonus as I eventually want to upgrade my desktop system...
  3. D

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

My most recent listens are Koinonia - More Than A Feelin' and The Best of 94Q's Jazz Flavors The Koinonia album sounds fantastic! It has some of the best players from the last 50 years.
  4. D

What TT's do you folks have

Audio-Technica AT-LP120USB, preamp bypassed, using a ART USB Phono Plus preamp on my home theater system, Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge Technics SL-QX300, ART DJPre II preamp, and Audio-Technica AT311EP cartridge on my bedroom system
  5. D

Pink Floyd-- P U L S E--

As for a BluRay, I remember reading in an interview with David Gilmour that there were no plans for a BluRay as the here would be no advantage picture or sound wise with the BluRay format. Also, please note that David's last name was misspelled on an early Pink Floyd album (Ummaguma maybe?)...
  6. D

Record Cleaning: Developing the Best Possible Methods

I have just used a product that contains Triton X-100 called Into The Groove. Used a paint pad, rinsed with distilled water, and dried thoroughly with new microfiber hand towels. This stuff really does a great job on some old albums that obviously had a bit of mold in them. One record had a...
  7. D

BIC 914C back in service

WOW! I think it looks fantastic, knowing how crappy that gray looked. Fantastic job! I hope it gives you many good years of service. My first turntable was a BIC 980. I'm looking for a refurbed BIC for my bedroom system.
  8. D

Audio-Technical AT- LP1240 USB Issue

I have one. Did you check to see if there might be an issue with the outlet or power strip you are using? I will say that I modified mine to bypass the built in preamp and switch and went with the ART DJ Pre. Also installed a Ortofon 2M Blue and have been very happy with it.
  9. D

Record Cleaning: Developing the Best Possible Methods

I've looked at a few of the YouTube videos on this topic. It seems some people feel the need to DROWN their records. Is that REALLY necessary? Also, are their any arguments against using the painter's pads? Are they soft enough to avoid scratching?
  10. D

What was your first real turntable?

Mine was a BIC 980 with a Empire 2000Z cartridge. The stylus holder rode too low and bumped the outer lip of LPs, so I had to carve the outer corner of it off. I later replaced the cartridge with a Stanton 681-EEE. The biggest hassle was changing the cartridge because my particular model did...
  11. D

how to slow music down while retaining pitch?

Audacity allows you to do this, If you rip the track in mp3, you can simply select the file, then select <effect> - <change tempo>, which changes tempo without affecting pitch.
  12. D

Internet radio sounds awful

The weakest link in your sound chain will limit sound quality. Low bandwidth, poor sound card, lousy speakers are three things the listener has control over. I only listen to stations with decent sound. My fave is www.progrock.com. They have two special shows that are broadcast live and also...
  13. D

SACD recommendations

I believe EMI has pulled all of the defective copies. If you order one, there IS a way to tell by looking at the physical disc whether or not it is a replacement. On the right side of the DVD, the last line is "Album duration 43:30". The corrected version ahs a dashed line under the word...
  14. D

SACD recommendations

OK- two of my most recent 5.1 mix purchases. Jethro Tull Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Edition and Anathema - Weather Systems. Neither are SACD Both include DTS and AC3 5.1 mixes. The Jethro Tull mix is done by Steven Wilson. The initial DVDs that were sent are defective. They have...
  15. D

SACD recommendations

The 5.1 mix for the SACD is the same mix as the DVD-Audio disc. The DVD-Audio disc is generally rare, and you will pay a huge amount for a used disc. IMO, the SACD is your best bet if you have a SACD player.
  16. D

SACD recommendations

http://store.acousticsounds.com/
  17. D

SACD recommendations

First of all, it's not 5.1. It's Quad. I also have the DTS disc, which I would rate slightly higher because of greater dynamic range. Still, it's probably the best sounding recording of this album if you don't have DVD-Audio.
  18. D

SACD recommendations

Looks like a great player. I probably would have gone for the Oppo. Seriously, what is the rest of your system like? Cambridge Audio gear is pretty expensive. If your receiver and speakers aren't of comparable value, you won't hear a huge difference between SACD and that cassette. I hope...
  19. D

SACD recommendations

Let's start with what SACD player you have or are purchasing. If you don't already own one, you'll need one to play SACDs. I heavily recommend the Oppo Blu-Ray universal player. I can make better recommendations once I know what you have to play them with.
  20. D

"The Carpenters" - a former guilty pleasure

Karen definitely was the best Caucasian alto singer I've ever heard. The recordings were great because the studio was owned by Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss, two meticulous musicians/producers. I have the Carpenters Best of SACD. It sounds phenomenal.
  21. D

Receivers 40wpc or Less You Have Loved

I had a Kenwood KR-3040 for a few months before I decided to upgrade my home theater and move my first Pioneer HT receiver back to the bedroom. My first 40 wpc unit was an integrated amp. I got a tuner later. It was a Pioneer SA-7500. It really made my EV speakers sound great.
  22. D

The perfect album?

Pink Floyd - DSOTM " " - WYWH Boston - Boston Fleetwood Mac - Rumours Heart - Dreamboat Annie Kansas - Leftoverture Led Zeppelin - IV The Who - Who's Next Yes - Close To The Edge
  23. D

SACD recommendations

I completely concur on the WYWH SACD. It don't get no better than this. Your suspicions on a higher bit rate may possibly be true, but I simply think that long time Steely Dan Producer Gary Katz and engineer Roger Nichols were such perfectionists that getting a great sound with digital was...
  24. D

overheating systems-sansui/marantz

So you are playing two systems on the same circuit? Your amps are attempting to do more with less. Are you doing this to get greater volume? If so, I would recommend that you sell the speakers and amps you currently use. Keep one for pre-amp use. Then buy a professional power amp like the...
  25. D

Hi, a newbie looking to set up my room the best way possible

The only other set up I can see is to move the head of the bed next to the doorway, which would mean the nightstand would have to be on the left side. Then place the desk, equipment and speakers on the opposite wall. Would it be possible to move the desk in another room and get a small...
Back
Top Bottom