Search results

1. thomo57

Faulty potentiometer Arcam A29 integrated amp

My Arcam A29 has developed a sketchy potentiometer. it was coming good for a while when l worked it backwards and forward but now only one channel . d Do I have to replace the whole unit or can it be sprayed to clean which it appears l can’t. Any advice welcome thanks
  2. thomo57

Help finding Coral 12 tx 50 surrounds

The surrounds on my Coral 12TX50 speakers have gone hard and will need replacing. They look to be a type of tape. But where do you source 12” tape surrounds for these. Any help is appreciated
  3. thomo57

Pioneer SA9800. I let the smoke out

Just an inquiry about where the smoke come from. I haven’t got the expertise to fix but those more knowledgeable may know what caused the smoke to come out. I’ve taken a few photos which show the burnt components It was working yesterday.:) Turned on this morning and no sound. Checked all...
  4. thomo57

What’s going on here

I’ve got another post in solid state about these units where I’m trying to identify the maker of these mono blocks Today l unscrewed the top cover which should slide out but it bound up after a few centimetres but was surprised to see a couple of valves Sovtek 6922. Are these just for show or...
  5. thomo57

Help needed ,Audio Fidelity JR100 mono blocks ?

Picked up these mono block amps Audio Fidelity JR100 I can’t find any information regarding manufacturer Any help appreciated
  6. thomo57

Tannoy. Venus mk11 speakers ball park figure

was shown a pair of Tannoy Venus mk11 speakers yesterday. Not much sales information available. She said one has been reconed but with a black cone.:idea: The original is clear. How much would a pair of these cost. Nice woodgrain and they come with small stands The black cone is a worry but she...
  7. thomo57

Found a nice selection of SACD HDCD and others

I've kept an eye out for SACD's for the last year or so and find them in dribs and drabs. There is a local church sale which is held a couple of times a year. I'm usually waiting at the gate for the opening because the competition is fierce for audio, records and CDs. But yesterday l give the...
  8. thomo57

What cartridge is this Empire?

trying to identify this cartridge for a friend who needs a replacement stylus. It comes from a Rotel 2500. I think it's an Empire but l maybe wrong Sent me this photo Thanks
  9. thomo57

Anyone familiar with Lumley Monitor speakers

a mate found a pair of Lumley Monitors a few days ago which look very nice. I haven't seen them in the flesh yet but scant information available. Anyone with a listening experience or knowledge of them. They are a 2 way Thanks
  10. thomo57

8AT fuse what is it and where can l get one

l recently scored a JVC jr s600 receiver I opened it up tonight and checked fuses after l noticed one was blown. It's an 8AT glass fuse. I done a bit on Mr google and found an old post referring to this particular type of fuse 8AT and referenced a temperature fuse and a toroidal transformer...
  11. thomo57

What to use on amplifier slide controls to clean/lubricate

l picked up a receiver today JVC JR-S600. The volume and balance controls are sliders? And causing problems Ive been reading on line all afternoon many old threads on the web and on AK about cleaning and lubricating the slide controls. A lot recommend deoxit faderlube but other throw doubts...
  12. thomo57

Musical Fidelity A5.5 CD player

l have a lead on a couple of items. One being a Musical Fidelity A5.5 CD player. I can't find any ball park selling prices for this item. I did find an old thread on AK 9 years ago but wondering if anyone has an idea of a current price for this CD player. The guy also has an Arcam A29...
  13. thomo57

Can you tell what resistor by sight?

l recently posted about a massive amount of resistors I've come by. Now is the time to learn something about them. Can you tell what type of resistor it is by looking at them The photo shows 3 examples of the same type 1: Sfernice 33k 15w 2:Memcor 30k 5 w 3: Monette 33k 25w Any other advice...
  14. thomo57

10,000+ resistors What to do with them

A friend of mine has just moved back to Singapore and l have inherited all his resistors. I didn't know how many until l had to pick them up and bring them home There would be at least 20 boxed packages weighing from 10 to 15 kilo each with 20 or so smaller plastic trays in each package Most of...
  15. thomo57

When things go bad.

I have a friend I've known for several years who has built and owned some fantastic gear. Mostly valve gear. He had built voice of the theatre speakers, TL ,folded horn cabinets which he give to me and a paragon speaker cabinet which he bought I rung him recently and being Chinese with broken...
  16. thomo57

Looking for cabinet design for Lowther PM6 speakers

Just purchased a pair of Lowther PM6 back from the friend l sold them to several years ago. He has them in a Transmission line speaker cabinet. They were originally in a very small cabinet about 50x40x15 cm or there about at a guess Having read about the difficulties involved in getting TL...
  17. thomo57

AR4xa how to remove tweeters????????

l scored a pair of AR4ax speakers in beautiful cosmetic condition but on testing them both tweeters appear to be not working. After removing the grills I'm a little apprehensive to remove the tweeters in case l damage the fine wires. I don't want to damage them and find out later that they are...
  18. thomo57

Ortofon spu cartridges? what's a decent offer

I was offered several cartridges (8 of them) I think they are SPU moving coil cartridges 5 are complete and 3 are the shells only. I have no idea what they are worth. The gentleman was selling them for a friend who was in the radio broadcasting industry and has motor neurone. He bought a...
  19. thomo57

Soundstage! What is it a product of

l have recently bought some Coral Triaxiom speakers and had the cabinets built to spec out of 25mm marine ply. I've damped the internal sides with 2 different densities shredded cotton sheeting. Not having enough of the loose batting One was a loose batting 1" ( on back and ends) the other is...
  20. thomo57

How much speaker damping

l have just had my project speakers delivered. In the process of finishing the raw cabinets which are 25mm marine ply. I've yet to fit the RCA's, potentiometers and speakers I've cut most of the damping material for the inside but pondered wether it's recommended that the front speaker baffle...
  21. thomo57

Is it Ok to swap T4A 250 volt fuse with 4A 250 volt???

l found a T4Amp 250 volt fuse blown in a NAD amp. I have a 4 Amp 250 volt fuse handy. The filament construction is different. I think l read something that the T 4Amp is a controlled blow. Is this critical for testing a unit.
  22. thomo57

What figures are critical. Matching AC/AC 16v adaptor

l'm trying to find a matching a wall step down transformer to a Thorens TD 147. This particular turntable is missing its adaptor. I have tried one off a Thorens TD318 that l have and it run beautifully so next step is to buy one. I'm no electrician so I'm asking for some advice. The one that l...
  23. thomo57

Any AK members in Sydney that works on valve amps??

l've got several valve amplifiers and would like 3 of them looked at and was after any recommended techs in Sydney who works on this type of gear. Maybe an AK member Thanks
  24. thomo57

Marantz 1060 what's happened here??

Picked this amp up today on the side of the road. It doesn't Power up.:( I opened it up and cleaned the dust bugs out of it and deoxited the pots when l noticed this bit of handy work. I'll post a photo of mine and another hitch l found on the net for comparison. The last photo is the one l...
  25. thomo57

Bracing lighter box or use heavier material. Thoughts

l have a speaker cabinet project in the pipeline The speakers are Coral 12TX-50 . Originally intending on using 25mm marine ply for the main cabinet and 32mm mdf for the speaker baffle plate which would add up to a substantial weight when completed but that is the recommended from the plans...
Back
Top Bottom