Search results

1. 62vauxhall

Sony TA-1150 DC bias adjustment pot - did it cause problems?

Yesterday I thought I was finished tinkering with this Sony TA-1150 amplifier. About 3 years ago I replaced the output transistors and electrolytic capacitors on the power amp board. The amplifier worked afterwards but I was not 100% satisfied with how it sounded. Much more recently I opted...
  2. 62vauxhall

Sony TA-1150 - resistor for neon pilot lamp

The green power on lamp quit working in this TA-1150 because one of the leads broke. Right at the junction of a 51K ohm resistor. The broken leg of the resistor is too short to solder so I need to replace it but I have no 51K ohm resistors on hand. Is there some latitude? I do have 47K ohm...
  3. 62vauxhall

Why is a Nichicon 35V 3.3uF so large?

I just received a few capacitors from Digikey. Among them are some Nichicon 35V 3.3uF capacitors from the PX series. There was no particular reason for me to request this specific capacitor, it was more or less just a random pick - not the cheapest and not the most expensive. On arrival...
  4. 62vauxhall

To anyone who has or had a Sony TA-1150 integrated with a "scratchy" volume control.

Over the past several years, I have picked away at this Sony TA-1150 amplifier and got it working more or less properly. Some new transistors including outputs, new fuse holders, some new electrolytics and a new pilot lamp. This was spread out over time since 2018. One thing I did not do was...
  5. 62vauxhall

Does this capacitor symbol have particular significance?

This symbol is silkscreened on the PC boards of a Sanyo power amplifier circa 1978/1980. Other than one non-polarized capacitor (so far) the capacitors in these positions are just bog standard, polarized electrolytics as far as I can tell. I do not recall seeing a capacitor symbol like this...
  6. 62vauxhall

Replacing transistors in a cheap, inline phono preamp

The inline preamp is branded Omega and is the model AP-25. It seems that over time, the branding has changed to AMX. The one I have is the boxlike version I've seen numerous times many years ago. But online searching now shows the same model number is attached to sort of oval shaped version...
  7. 62vauxhall

Wurth brand capacitors seem to be good value for the money

No particular reason for this post. Just an observation or opinion. Last month I replaced all small electrolytic capacitors in a circa 1973 Akai cassette deck. There were over 30. I tend to favor Digikey when purchasing such things but I confess I was soon dismayed after adding Nichicon...
  8. 62vauxhall

Akai DIN to RCA cable - what colours of RCA plugs are play and record?

A tabletop style Akai cassette recorder came into my possession with a DIN to RCA cable. It looks to be a nice cable and I would like to use it instead of RCA to RCA cables which is an option. The plugs at the RCA end of said cable are Red - White - Black - Yellow. I am unsure which colors...
  9. 62vauxhall

Akai GXC-40D - is the pause button functioning properly?

I thought I was done posting about this Akai GXC-40D, then I tried using the Pause button. I expected the Pause button to stay down or lock into place when depressed and then pop up when depressed again to resume tape motion. But that is not what happens with this deck. During playback it...
  10. 62vauxhall

Akai GXC-40D - can it's lack of auto stop be problematic?

Last summer I acquired this Akai GXC-40D at a yard sale and when home, I gave it a brief function assessment and it was more or less OK. Meaning play, FF, REW, meters, lights, counter all worked. A quick listen to playback through the onboard headphone jack revealed audio was present but...
  11. 62vauxhall

78 RPM stylus for a Stanton L720?

I was wondering if anyone here knows if there is such thing as a 78 RPM stylus which will fit a Stanton L720 cartridge? So far, I have been unable to find one specifically for a Stanton L720.
  12. 62vauxhall

Mid 1970's Akai decks - why did they install headphone jacks?

What prompted me to pose that question is my acquisition today of an Akai GXC-40D top load cassette deck. This afternoon I noticed a large Yard Sale sign on the highway I was travelling on and thought to go have a look. It was a very large sale. I saw no audio gear that interested me so I...
  13. 62vauxhall

Stylus for Stanton L720 has white grip with black dot

Attached is a photo of the cartridge with stylus inserted. I am assuming that the white grip indicates intended for DJ use. There are no markings on the grip but there is a black dot. Does this signify a conical stylus or is there another meaning such as company of origin? My thought was...
  14. 62vauxhall

NAD 7225PE - need a method to isolate TO3 case aka collector from chassis ground

Also posted on DIY Audio. Firstly, I have re-used the mica/thermal paste insulators without success and now have sil pads in place - also without success. So I do not believe that is the issue. Over the past two years I have picked away at problems with this receiver, including this one...
  15. 62vauxhall

NAD 7225PE - silkscreened TO126 transistor symbol on PC board

This is regarding a non-working NAD 7225PE that I was given two years ago and it looks like component replacement already occurred. There is a symbol silkscreened on the PC board in the positions where a TO126 transistor is located. Photo of Q112 is attached. It is intended as a guide to...
  16. 62vauxhall

What would power handling be for this Electro Voice Wolverine system?

Putting this speaker system together was an attempt to duplicate the EV Lancaster. Instead of trying to replicate the flexible rear baffle, I created a tuned port cabinet according to published EV specs for enclosing the LS12 A woofer in boxes of varying sizes. The driver power handling specs I...
  17. 62vauxhall

Small touchup needed to front edge of Polk Monitor 5B cabinet

The damage is small but since the vinyl "veneer" is not present, the lightness of the particle board is noticeable. The eye is drawn to that spot. I have been investigating touchup markers but am uncertain what finish or colour the vinyl is supposed to be. Rosewood, walnut, or something else...
  18. 62vauxhall

Adjusting L-Pads on Electro Voice crossovers has negligible effect

The crossovers I have came with a pair of EV T35 tweeters and MR10 midranges. All the drivers were removed from a DIY cabinet but I only wanted the mids & tweets to use with a re-coned pair of EV LS12A full range/woofers. I do not know what the EV woofers were that I declined to purchase...
  19. 62vauxhall

Has anybody bought from e-bay vendor Bluehousesupply?

I recently made a $106USD purchase from Bluehousesupply. I have a gripe against the carrier they used, UPS, and called UPS to ask a question about their cross border (to Canada) brokerage fee. My e-bay order confirmation has the correct address but UPS advised that the shipping label created...
  20. 62vauxhall

What to expect from this capacitor substitution in Polk 5jr+

I am proceeding with refurbishing this pair Polk 5jr+ that I bought a few days ago. They have the SL2000 tweeters and external fuse clips mounted on the speaker terminal block. There are two non polarized electrolytic capacitors on each crossover - a 34uf and a 12uf. After unsoldering one...
  21. 62vauxhall

Speaker grille attachment devices for Polk Monitor speakers

I posted in another tread about finding a pair of 5jr+ speakers at a garage sale for $2 and am waiting to hear from someone with an MW6502 mid/bass driver. In the meantime, I wish to source at least 4 of the plastic bits that attach the grilles to the boxes. I don't know exactly what they are...
  22. 62vauxhall

Can this tape counter be taken apart?

Rotating the belt pulley will not turn the worm gear a complete 360 degrees, It's threads bind with those of the conventional gear it mates with. I'd like to open up the counter but removing the screw visible in the 3rd photo does nothing. I'd like to open it up to learn why it's stuck.
  23. 62vauxhall

Superscope / Marantz TDR-830 has noisy motor

This is likely a long shot but for the sake of increased exposure, I am posting this here on AK as well as on Tapeheads. Due to a fondness for 8 track recorders, last weekend I gambled $10 on this garage sale TDR-830. Before a long distance move a couple of years ago, I pared down my...
  24. 62vauxhall

What is this Shure Encore cartridge equivalent to?

I am helping a long distance friend to order a stylus. She is 700km away and a few days ago got a Sony PSL-X22 with a broken stylus at an auction. I asked that she send me photos which she did. I have not encountered a Shure Cartridge designated "Encore". Although it does not appear to be...
  25. 62vauxhall

Harman Kardon TU-911 no audio output

This tuner was included with some other items I received from an acquaintance. He recently moved into a house where the previous owner abandoned some audio components. The acquaintance has no interest in such things so I wound up with them. One item was this HK TU-911 tuner. It seems able to...
Back
Top Bottom