Search results

1. GreatTone

Sl-1210G + AT-ART9XI - Incompatible?

I received my AT-ART9XI this weekend and set it up on my Audiomods arm, which uses the Rega armtube. The threaded mounting holes probably knocked an hour off my setup time. I was upgrading from the EV33sa, and it is a big upgrade. Works perfectly with this arm, so no issues. Glad I found this...
  2. GreatTone

Sl-1210G + AT-ART9XI - Incompatible?

Hey all. It's been a long time since I posted here. I'm looking at this cart for my Audiomods arm, which uses the Rega arm tube (11 grams effective mass). The calculations put the RF at 7Hz. Sounds like it shouldn't be a problem? Thanks!
  3. GreatTone

Cheaper sounds better. Interesting experience.

I'm on my second AT33EV, and I've never owned a better tracker. There is zero inner groove distortion unless the record is damaged. I'd suspect you have a worn out or damaged stylus, or a very mismatched arm/cart combo, or it's not being aligned correctly, though it would have to be pretty far...
  4. GreatTone

Ariston RD 11s in The House

This site tells you how to measure your current belt for the correct replacement: http://www.turntableneedles.com/-TURNTABLE--RECORD-PLAYER--PHONOGRAPH_c_45.html If your RD11S is like mine, the ball is "captive," ie you can't get it out. You can still clean the old oil out and replace it...
  5. GreatTone

Ariston RD 11s in The House

I love mine. Be aware that depending on the viscosity of the bearing oil you use, it will change the speed. Not that you're looking to upgrade already, but I was very happy with the Music Hall speed box device that allows you to fine-tune the speed. You need a decent test record and something...
  6. GreatTone

AD797 Phono Stage Build and Help Desk Thread

Now we've solved the power supply problem...bump?
  7. GreatTone

It's just that apparently some XLR cords used in power supplies come with two of the pins soldered together, to make a 2-wire power cord (plus and negative), so that would short the 0-volt with the negative in this instance. You don't want that. It may not be apparent, so just check to make sure...
  8. GreatTone

It really sounds like there is continuity between G and B-.
  9. GreatTone

See HypnoToad's post #369 and see if that helps: "As to a 12v or 24v charger, I bought a 24v and charge both batteries at once. Because I use the same connector that goes to the batteries from the phono stage it's just a matter of unplugging the stage and plugging the charger into the...
  10. GreatTone

PS: I still haven't tried the AD797BRZ's -- does everyone still think this is a worthwhile upgrade?
  11. GreatTone

Just a total guess, but are your RCA jacks insulated from the case? And did you mod the XLR jacks appropriately?
  12. GreatTone

Possible Cure for Collapsed Stylus Suspension

It's basically kerosene, I believe. I'll leave it to others to decide if this is a lubricant. It does not destroy metal (I didn't say it did), but it does clean it very effectively, and thus removes old grease (lubricants). It seems to have a very thin lubricant component as well that leaves a...
  13. GreatTone

Concept/AT33PTG/2 combo sounds bright, help!

Glad you got it sorted. VTA can make a big difference if it's dramatically out. Also, tonearm effective mass vs. cart compliance can make an enormous difference. On vinylengine there is a calculator to help match them, if you need. If you put a spacer on the Clearaudio arm, that may have made...
  14. GreatTone

I don't dispute that, but I guess I am suggesting that the mechanism of action is different from what is proposed. Ie, that it might be dissolving a layer of gummy, partially liquified rubber that had hardened, revealing a softer layer beneath. I'm just guessing, but I really doubt that WD40 is...
  15. GreatTone

You guys know that WD40 is a degreaser, right? It's not a lubricant. It seems to lubricate at first, until it dries up whatever you sprayed it on. It's kind of like washing your hands with soap to try and fix dry skin.
  16. GreatTone

AT33EV en route....

I found even that much difference made it sound too bright and hard. But someone else thought it sounded better >100. I would start as close to 100 as you can (that's the recommended), and see what you think.
  17. GreatTone

The Bournes pots specified in this phono stage are cermet, not wirewound...
  18. GreatTone

AT33EV en route....

I love my AT33EV, I'm on my second one. Audio Technica has a trade-in program where you send yours in when you wear out the stylus, and they send you a new one for a good price. I think mine was $400 a few months ago. I use 100 ohms loading and it's just right. On my setup, anything even a...
  19. GreatTone

New Linn LP12 Owner in the House!

I would go with the Herbie's. I have one on my Ariston RD11S, and it beats everything else I've tried...felt, cork dots, heavy rubber. I would personally avoid felt like the plague. The idea is to eliminate static, not generate it. Never tried the leather mat, but once I got the Herbie's I...
  20. GreatTone

Fun Tak for cleaning stylus?

Loctite is also a brand of super-glue, so don't get them confused! I found a Onzow ZeroDust relatively cheap, so I use that, but before I just used a piece of a "sticky hands" toy -- the clear, rubbery stuff that sticks to walls without leaving a residue. Probably the same stuff as a...
  21. GreatTone

Yes, that was me. Mine acted as a radio receiver, and clearly played the local country station. I couldn't use lantern batteries because the interference was much worse, possibly because of the necessarily longer leads. Using rechargeable 12V lead-acid batteries with the AD797, there is no...
  22. GreatTone

Mingus Ah Um, reissues in general

Why choose? For me, the better the sound, the more I enjoy music I love.
  23. GreatTone

Mingus Ah Um, reissues in general

Another vote for the ORG 45 rpm. I doubt you will find a better-sounding version anywhere.
  24. GreatTone

Beatles in Mono

I've recently come into possession of a few of the 1981 UK mono reissues, all NM: PPM, Help!, Sgt Peppers and the White Album. Wow. While I'm in for these new reissues, they have some tough competition with these, most sides of which are cut using the original lacquers.
  25. GreatTone

Analog is a sickness

Absolutely agree. Last night, when I was in the middle of removing the headshell shim I had added for extra mass, I was thinking maybe hi-rez is something I should be looking at. Removing the shim meant taking off the cartridge, taking off the counterweight and removing ITS lead shims so it...
Back
Top Bottom