Search results

1. jazzmans

RIP Jim Winey of Magnepan.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/jim-winey-1934-2024/ Man, this one hits close to home. I've loved magnepan ever since I first heard a pair of 3.3 in 1997 at shellys stereo. My pair of 1.6QR get played every single day, ever since I bought them used in 2008 (I think) thank you sir!
  2. jazzmans

The Heresy continues! PK sound Klarity 8

So. Story time. I work for a music festival company. We are in the midst of installing our biggest show of the year. (I've been on site for a month) the boss of stages, F, received a shipment from PK Sound, one of the audio vendors, who happen to be the audio at my favorite stage of the...
  3. jazzmans

Well, Isn't this interesting? Magnepan Ultra-wideband Bass

This is a ridiculously long 'first look' video, but there's some very interesting things here. 1. magnepan is possibly going to offer a 8 6" dipole (dunno what to call it) per side UBS soon, and they chose to demo it with Martin Logan Ethos speakers. But wait! there's more! they also...
  4. jazzmans

My favorite stage, BassPod!

As y'all may or may not know, I work for a big festival producer now, and have been gigging with them for about seven years prior to being a full time employee. I can't post photos atm, until doors today, but I've been asked what the sound systems consist of. it varies from venue to venue...
  5. jazzmans

Replay Gain

What is the consensus on replaygain? is it better, or worse for the original signal? how, precisely does it work? For my purposes, I'm using audacious on a linux box, sending a usb signal out to a DAC and then to my front system, playing my own wavs ripped by myself from my own cds. TIA.
  6. jazzmans

My Speaker Journey... the ongoing saga of jazzmans system

Many a thread have I started and participated in when talking about speakers, so I figured it was time to start my own thread and (sort of) confine my current 'state' to it, as the speakers have crossed many specific brand boundries over the years. Backstory. Warning, here there be boring...
  7. jazzmans

Tannoy I6 MP active phoenix connector

Hey all! I bought these from an inmate, a few years ago, and have had 0 luck finding these connectors. I'd really like to utilize these, but this stupid connector has stopped this. I contacted Tannoy, and had no luck. Barring modifying these, does anyone know where I can find the male...
  8. jazzmans

Tragedy narrowly averted, or; Back up your S***!

I upgraded my media playing and main computing machine a couple months back, to an 8 core 16 thread! Ryzen 3700 that draws half the power of the older FX-8350 and retired some bulldozer era amd systems, so I decided to repurpose one of the old FX-8350s into my media server, in place of the FX...
  9. jazzmans

Played 'Big Rock Candy Mountain' through a pair of Wilsons today...

I was at my favorite audio repair /used shop, (Audio Xperts, Charleston and Eastern) and they'd been demoing some Wilsons for a potential customer.. I hooked up the (now) my Carver M400t and PM 1.5, and since they'd been playing the wilsons, I got to play through them, and I pulled out of...
  10. jazzmans

Carver madness, or; I just can't help myself

Stopped by my favorite audio repair/ used sales shop today to pick up the preamp I dropped off last week, and lo and behold! Another Carver PM 1.5, all prettied up, immaculate inside. Look at that pretty copper paint job! I snapped it up, and then bobby made me an offer I couldn't...
  11. jazzmans

Help me troubleshoot left channel issue, I'm stumped.

Hey AK! got a problem I can't seem to trace down, and it's driving me insane. short version, left channel has no output through unbalanced connections unless mono is engaged on preamp Long version: Left channel has no output through unbalanced connections unless 'mono' is engaged on preamp...
  12. jazzmans

Listening to the new Tool album today, it didn't suck. (this is really sort of about Studio 590s)

I was listening to the latest tool album for the first time today, through my main system, Bryston Pre, Carver Pro amps, PM 1.5 and PM 1200, feeding ~450 and ~600 wpc to my Infinity RS IIb and Magnepan 2.5R, with my JL audio Fathom sub and M&K dual push/pull 12" subs. Now, I just got back...
  13. jazzmans

JBL 4410A

I was just given a pair of these, (jbl 4410A) one woofer is missing, tweeters are pushed in, and the existing 127h-1 woofer needs a refoam, and on at least one, the midrange rear enclosure has become unattached, so I'll have to figure out how to reattach it. I'd like to get them up and...
  14. jazzmans

Volumio Motivo. fully FOSS audio player/streamer/dac

This looks interesting to say the least. the software is a full on linux distro, claims to be lightweight enough to run on a raspberry pi, but the complete package is what fascinates me. balanced outputs, rca outputs, usb outputs, volume knob, possibly replacing the need for a preamp...
  15. jazzmans

ashidavox PLJ-8

anyone know anything about this driver? back in the eighties I discovered this cool single speaker box in the basement of my grandparents house, it ended up being a tv stand for the last thirty-five years, There's a 12' woofer with a alnico looking magnet, and the 8" driver is ashidavox...
  16. jazzmans

FML, I just scroed a pair of my long time dream speakers....

I scroed from an inmate here a pair of absolutely pristine Carver AL III I and when I say Pristine, I mean they were literally showroom quality still, excepting one tiny scratch on one side of one ribbon panel. I Couldn't believe the great condition they were in. For various reasons, the...
  17. jazzmans

I can't help myself; or ; Carver PM 1200 incoming, what should I do with it?

I just can't keep away from these carver amps, I've owned my M1.5t since 1993, owned two PM 350's since 2007(ish), owned a PM 1.5 since 2009(ish), TFM-15 since 2007, TFM-25 for about three years now. All amps are in daily use except the TFM-15; it's the only one that isn't a magnetic...
  18. jazzmans

I need a new dac... help me please.

I've been using an M audio audiophile dual balanced output sound card for ~twelve years now, and have finally gone through my last breakout dongle, so I'm on the hunt for a new usb da converter, but I want dual balanced outputs, if that's possible. Any suggestions that are cheap? I've got an...
  19. jazzmans

a funny thing happened at my brothers house yesterday. Warning, vinyl within!

So, my brother in law has fallen under the spell of vinyl, he didn't spin vinyl back in the eighties, but has become enamoured of the format over the last few years. His system is far from ideal, but ain't bad. Anyway, we were over at his place for xmas eve, with my fatherdown from N Utah...
  20. jazzmans

a funny thing happened at the audio store t' other day,

I went in to my favorite local shop, Audio Xperts, on Charleston and Eastern, to pick up an adcom preamp that needed servicing. Bobby had pulled out the mirrored (as in the entire cabinet surface has mirrors on all five sides.) Yamaha's he's had for consignment for a while, they have a...
  21. jazzmans

Oh, Yeah!

So, thanks to a member here I am now the proud owner of a pair of RS 2B!! My Ren 90's are back in my bedroom, where they'll likely stay the rest of my life, and I'm seriously contemplating selling my Magnepan 2.5R.... {bender} Ooh, Yeah.. {/bender} they are amazing sounding. I...
  22. jazzmans

Can an Emit-R be disassembled non-destructively?

I've got an Emit-R I pulled from a pair of Crescendo 3007 when the magic smoke 'emitted' from the tweeter upon application of a signal to test the speakers out in a shop, low power. I bought them because I needed the woofers to replace the four with torn foam and torn spiders in a pair I've...
  23. jazzmans

Crutchfield saws in half an Elac speaker.

This is a great video, awesome to get a real look and feel for the speakers guts, I'm very intruiged, although have absolutely no need for another pair of speakers, no matter how great they are. But. I'm nine minutes into the disassembly of the speaker, about to saw the box, and the guy...
  24. jazzmans

PS Audio's new speakers, with a photo

So, PS audios latest paul McGowan video introduces the demo speaker, Infinity (Genesis) Emit-R array, Boelender Grabner like? designed?... midrange array, crazy servo? midbass coupler, Dual? 12" servo woofers, made by/with Arnie Nudell. He claims this speaker is better then the IRS V...
  25. jazzmans

Qe for me

stopped by my local audio shop, they had a pair of Qe in pretty good condion. I took them home. They don't to my ears have nearly the midrange suckout the Qa's did, but the Qa were a 10" woofer instead of an 8" that must have made a difference. Great little speakers, that didn't cost much at...
Back
Top Bottom