Search results

1. J

12AX7/ECC83 Recommendations?

Best new production I have tried in my valve phono stages is Psvane 12AX7-TII
  2. J

$11 Chinese AT3600L Thread Mk. II - Champagne sound on a Beer budget!

https://mrstylus.com/en/black-diamond-nudeline-swiss-made-update/
  3. J

I could not agree more. I have mine on a Acoustical All-balance tonearm with a swiss nude elliptical, and it is perfect.
  4. J

That "pinch" is the stylus trying to fit where it cannot, pushing the vinyl harder and riding higher in the groove trying to cope. Clean and healthy? In the 50s 60s 70s etc this was very often NOT the case. Plus the record was played often at heavy tracking forces, so when IGD happened, it...
  5. J

Any mistracking can cause damage. IGD is mistracking on the inner grooves. I have records that exhibit this. Not in every groove, as you keep saying, but only on the inner grooves - IGD.
  6. J

IGD can cause record damage, and when those records are played back on a better system, you will hear the damage and it sounds like IGD towards the end of a side.
  7. J

Garrard Type A motor oil?

Good point I was talking about the platter bearing - however, in big motors, I would use them same. The higher temperature will thin the oil anyway.
  8. J

Garrard Type A motor oil?

There have been some very informative discussions on various forums, and taking the concensus view, I switched to using compressor oil. It is monograde SAE 20 or 30, no additives, synthetic is best. Used to use sewing machine or 3 in 1 oil, but it is too light. The slightly heavier oil feels...
  9. J

Volume Down Before Power On/Off?

None of my hifi equipment needs this. There are no loud pops or noises as they power up nor down. I do have guitar amps and PA amps they do make noise, but the connected speakers are quite, err, rugged?
  10. J

Messing with treble and bass makes ok speakers sound great

We are seeing more and more posts like yours these days in support of tone controls. People are finally starting to rebel against stupid fads inflicted on this hobby. It started way back in the 70s - at least when I first heard a salesdroid belittling his customers with this rubbish. A little...
  11. J

? should i do an recap to my Sansui AU-X701 ?

Don't know how Sansui did it, but loudness should not be a constant increase. It should have the most effect at low volumes, and taper off to doing very little, at high volumes. The theory is that human ears respond less well to bass (and to a lesser extent highs) when listening at low volumes.
  12. J

? should i do an recap to my Sansui AU-X701 ?

Great suggestion. Not much chance the recap will change the sound greatly.
  13. J

12AT7 phono preamp

Spec is actually 12.6V for the heaters. So, it's closer than you think. With a 10% tolerance, very close. Since it's a constant load when up to temperature, you can use a simple resistor to drop a volt if you want.
  14. J

How do I know a capacitor is "audio" or not? Does it matter?

I am curious about this too. Also, it's a power supply cap, so not as critical as , say, a coupling cap.
  15. J

Do tube PRE-AMPS need to see a load when testing?

Yep, fine to test unloaded
  16. J

Can I sub a BP cap for a polarized cap?

To me, a bi-polar cap is an electrolytic with two positive leads (achieved by back to back electro's inside the can. A film cap is just a cap :)
  17. J

SME 3009 S2 Improved Muted

And some, find the arm quite bright/vibrant enough with the plastic knife edge. I definitely do not hear "muffled". It's just a user preference. I have tried mine both ways at different times. On both wooden and metal (like the Technics SL-150 "armboard") I do not hear any significant difference.
  18. J

Wax most likely. Don't be embarrassed, cleaning the ears is one of the best hifi tweaks out there :)
  19. J

No resistors in the SME 3009 or the 3009 S2 or improved as far as I know.
  20. J

True and again :)
  21. J

I think it's the cartridges and how you load them that alters the sound the most. Trying to get past that to what the arm contributes is hard - and there are a few variations on the 3009 arm. If forced, I would say neutral to a little bright, but only a little.
  22. J

I have tried so many cartridges, Shure, AT, Stanton, Ortofon, etc on my SME3009 arms that, even though I haven't tried the bronze, I am very sure it isn't the arm's fault.
  23. J

Stanton 681EEE has been discontinued :(

It has always worried me, that all this careful cartridge/cantilever alignment we do, assumes the tip is correctly mounted. I always thought that mounting them would be prone to error given the small size and tolerances involved. I have taken to viewing the tips of new styluses I buy under a...
  24. J

Looking for info about Volumio, streaming... mac.... several questions.

Look at the moOde site instead. Very similar, free, more reliable, and better support. http://moodeaudio.org/
  25. J

Advice for a good pairing

Be careful doing this however. They wires are fine and easily broken, and the little slide on connectors can get crushed or bent, or even too loose.
Back
Top Bottom