Search results

1. rshep

DWD and Leak Speakers?

I owned a set in the 70's that I purchased from Sunnyvale Electronics in California. I overheated the voice coils and froze the woofer perhaps even twice. They were replaced under warranty with no problems. The salesman at Sunnyvale Electronics said with a wink that "DWD" stood for Damn...
  2. rshep

Has anyone gone off the deep end and bought a storage bldg?

LOL, when I first read the title for this thread I thought it was going to be confessionals for horder-inclined folks to admit that they needed to expand storage to support the hobby.
  3. rshep

The Real Star is the CAR

Great car and the owner's girlfriend was Suzanne Pleshette!
  4. rshep

Schiit Turntable: the giant-slayer that slays giants and schiit

I found this video from Schitt for setting up the turntable. It was a worthwhile viewing, showing all the components of the turntable and how the initial setup goes. In trying to infer the quality of the offering from the video I have a few thoughts. Everything looks nicely machined and...
  5. rshep

Top Ten Cool Things about Vintage Hi-Fi

The gear from our youth, which was out of our price reach and highly coveted, is now obtainable. And the good stuff was built to last or at least is easily restored.
  6. rshep

You're Never Too Old For Legos. Saturn V.

Awesome, both my girls had Legos (Dad helped lots with them) and love anything from my childhood-era space program.
  7. rshep

Hey, Ortofon... What's going on?

I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't consider these items knock-offs, since its probably the same OEM making the name brand and generic versions. It amazes me that we can get decent stuff shipped directly from China at wholesale prices. I've bought heat shrink, a nifty parts tester...
  8. rshep

So I Decided It Was Time to Learn How To View My Own Styli

Those "learning toys" were the best toys for sure. I'm also following this thread, I agree that a microscope would be super cool to have. Even if you can't do measurements you could take photos of your stylus and post to get feedback from others regarding the wear.
  9. rshep

Moody Blues on PBS

I'll have to try and catch the show. I agree that they were at their best when they made the "classic 7". I saw them a couple of years ago. Justin Hayward still has a wonderful voice and it was a great show. I'm also a big fan of Michael Pinder, I love the story about how he once got out...
  10. rshep

Lyrics that catch the ear ...

Watch out now, take care Beware of greedy leaders They take you where you should not go "Beware of Darkness" George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
  11. rshep

Lyrics that catch the ear ...

What will be our last thought? Do you think it's coming soon? Will it be a comfort Or the pain of a burning wound? "You and Me" Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn Justin Hayward and Graeme Edge
  12. rshep

My interest is piqued.

Those look really interesting. I have a pair of UE tripleFi 10's that I use when I need to go really portable. Until a few days ago I didn't know that there were planar in-ears. On a related note, I just received my Monoprice M1060 full sized headphones yesterday. They're my Christmas...
  13. rshep

Help to choose in-ear headphones

Do they keep a reasonable amount of bass when moving around? I have a pair of Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 with Comply foam tips but they still constantly get loose if I'm working around the house with them. They sound great when fully sealed but get really thin in the bass if they are not...
  14. rshep

More bullshit about Bluetooth headphones

Interesting thread, I'm a bit skeptical of BT sound quality. But it sounds like folks feel it can deliver decent enough sound quality for casual listening. I'd like to hear more feedback on good sounding $100ish headphones. Wireless would be really nice for working around the house. I hate...
  15. rshep

What do you consider your primary headphones?

Sennheiser HD580's with HD600 screens and aftermarket cable. Very pleasing sound and comfortable. I don't wear them outside, at work or in the shop. I'm looking for something different and just purchased a pair of Monoprice Monolithic M1060's. Large planar headphones, I'll see if they can...
  16. rshep

Altec Valencia 846u Restore

I bought mine from Banggood back in 2014. They no longer carry the exact model, but they do have others. I did find what looks exactly like mine on eBay from a US seller. Search for 182743434000 and it will come up as "M328 DIY Kit Capacitance ESR Inductance Resistor LCR Meter Component...
  17. rshep

How old are you and what are the frequency limits of your hearing?

I'm 58 and I don't hear anything over 10k anymore.
  18. rshep

Thanks so much for the props, I'm really happy with how they turned out. I agree with the magical sound. Very handy having the midrange adjustment, great for fine-tuning the speakers with different amps ie tube vs. solid state. Overall, I just love the dynamic sound. Vocals pop out and are...
  19. rshep

Here’s a photo with the grills off. Note the upside down oozing of the surround doping. - Woofer turned 180 degrees.
  20. rshep

Finally, here they are now in all their restored glory.
  21. rshep

One last thing to do, I only had one original Altec badge and it was the boring style with “Altec Lansing” in chrome raised letters against a black background. After pursing the selections on eBay I bought the “Altec Lansing Copper Maestro” reproductions, copper with black lettering. Here's a...
  22. rshep

The grills where very warped so I dampened them by misting water on them. I then pressed them done with a couple hundred pounds of stuff I had around the shop. After about a week I pulled them out and they were significantly closer to being straight. My wife works at Joann’s so of course we...
  23. rshep

Next up was to build some bases for the speakers. The original ones were in sorry condition. I also wanted the horns to be at ear height from my listening chair. After some measurements the stand height was set at 8 inches. I didn’t want a solid 8 inch base around the bottom of the speakers...
  24. rshep

The previous post picture also shows the blocks that I added for the Velcro that would keep the top of the grill nice and snug. I did mis-judge where that Velcro should go. Consideration for the thickness of the motor board for the woofer was missed. The photo shows the original blocks. I...
  25. rshep

Here’s a shot through the woofer opening that shows how deep the 806-8A w/811B horn goes into the cabinet. I read somewhere that Altec’s goal for the Valencia was to take the A7 components and stick them into a compact cabinet.
Back
Top Bottom