Search results

1. Moon_Man

Looking for good, reasonable Bluetooth receiver with digital output.

I have been using these for BT access to my NAS on a couple of my vintage systems, (BTW, Logitech rebrands this model and bumps the price), connecting via the analog outputs, which are all that is available. Sounds fine, I guess, although there are occasional issues. I would rather connect a...
  2. Moon_Man

AR-XA motor vibration question

I have an AR-XA with a single motor. Date on motor appears to be 8/70. I know the capacitor on the on/off switch causes a jump in the motor when switched on, but I have a constant vibration in the motor whenever the table is plugged in. The switch seems OK, with a firm click when operated...
  3. Moon_Man

DCM Time Frame 250 questions - tweeters and socks

Hello gang. Just acquired some TF-250's for the princely sum of $25. Clearly one tweeter is shot so both must go. I've redone Time Window 1's and CX-17's so I know pretty much what's in there, but I was looking for some info from those who know before I go removing those socks: * Are the...
  4. Moon_Man

Is this a replacement woofer? Dynaco A25?

Can anyone tell me if this looks like a replacement woofer in this Dynaco A25? I've looked at pics and am not convinced either way. Thanks!
  5. Moon_Man

Micro Acoustic FRM-1 find (garbage pick)

It's bring-your-trash-to-the-curb time at some of the towns in this area. Traveling home from a store today I saw some speakers and couldn't resist looking. MA FRM-1's. Never seen them in person before. In very good shape, grills never been removed before, woofers look good, tweeters are...
  6. Moon_Man

Sony TA-1150 vs. 1140 vs. 1130?

Good day all. I recently acquired a Sony ST-5150 tuner as I have wanted to have a Sony separates system from this era for some time. I always assumed the TA-1150 amp would be the appropriate compliment, but now I find that there was also an 1140 and 1130 amps as well, and in fact the output...
  7. Moon_Man

"Free shipping from Japan"

I'm interested in a specific pre-main amp that I an only finding recently on E-bay. Many of the postings are from Japan, (it's a Japanese unit that was, as far as I know, available there and here as the same unit), and that offer "free shipping from Japan". I am obviously dubious. Does...
  8. Moon_Man

Who's using an NAS and has online access? Let's compare experiences.

Access to my music has become much more important to me in the past several years. With the advent of FTP, Bluetooth, mass storage and the internet, having your (digital) music available to you anywhere anytime is pretty easy. Transferring music files has replace "tape trading", data disks and...
  9. Moon_Man

Question regarding DCM CX-27 grills

I'm looking to pick up a pair of CX-27's and have noticed that apparently they were produced with 2 different grill designs - one being a 2 piece grill and the other being a one piece that covers the entire front like a CX-17 has. Can age or version be determined from this design difference? I...
  10. Moon_Man

Question for tapeheads re: older cassettes

Question: are cassette tapes that have been sitting around for 20+ years still good to anyone? I'm cleaning out and have a lot of AS90's, some A90's, some Denons and others that haven't seen the inside of a deck in 20+ years. They are recorded on but some have never been played. Hate to just...
  11. Moon_Man

Replacing inductors, sand cast resistors - necessary? Good idea?

I've pulled the xovers on my JBL L15's, which are now about 35 years old and are in need of recapping. They have a choke and 2 air core inductors as well as three sand cast resistors along with the caps. I'm tempted to replace the inductors and resistors as well as the caps as I'm guessing...
  12. Moon_Man

Dayton B652 Air - begging for mods

So I have one of those little Chinese BT amps up at the lake house so I could stream from my home NAS and play internet radio. Hooked up my Advent Mini's without the passive sub. Now I remembered why I really don't like the Mini's. So dead sounding. Didn't have any other speakers small...
  13. Moon_Man

Turntable ID please

Any idea?
  14. Moon_Man

Warning: Blasphemy Ahead

So I own just a few receivers/amps. Only 2 in use now. I fully restored ST70 in mothballs. Have headed in the FLAC-music-server-streaming to everywhere route these days. Love having my library available wherever I am. Put the headphones on the on the other night and listened to some stuff...
  15. Moon_Man

Rectilinear III's finally done.

It's been over 4 years since I first removed the grills, but my 1968 Highboys are finally done. Granted, most of those 4 years they sat while other projects took priority, but they are done nonetheless. Sanded out the water stains and scratches, put on the walnut stain and danish oil (6...
  16. Moon_Man

Opinions on decktop amps with bluetooth.

Looking for a desktop amp with bluetooth for a small system I want to put up at camp. Needs to be able to power bookshelf speakers like Boston Acoustic A60 (97 sensitivity). Would be used to stream services and eventually my collection from my NAS back at home (provided I can get it to have...
  17. Moon_Man

Looking for BA A60 woofer.

Got a free pair of Boston Acoustic A60 Series II’s in basement condition (never owned BAs before). One woofer missing. Cleaned up nicely (scrubbed grill cloth with Simple Green and a scrub brush). Tested/compared working speaker against a DCM C17’s, which are comparable size-wise. The A60s...
  18. Moon_Man

Pioneer end table speakers

Anyone have any experience with these Pioneers?
  19. Moon_Man

AR 2Ax original grill cloth offered (free)

I could really use some good karma right about now, so I'm offering a pair of original AR 2Ax grill cloths for bupkis to anyone who'd like them. Of course, there's a catch - the speakers were owned by a smoker so the cloth is heavily smoke stained, (as well as some other stains), which is why I...
  20. Moon_Man

Tube Amp Kits? Have you done one?

Simply asking who has done a tube amp kit, what kind and what do you think? Thank you for your reply. Tom
  21. Moon_Man

"Aging" new caps

Is there any easy way to age new caps short of just operating the speakers? I'd like to heat up my new-cap crossovers for 4 or 5 days, but just don't want to operate speakers for that long, especially without me being there to hear is something goes wrong with either the speakers or the...
  22. Moon_Man

Raspberry Pi help for newbies- from YOU!

OK, I've read the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ threads and, well, understood little. So I'm proposing a thread where you who are Pi people help us with ambitions and desires, but also with questions, questions, questions. For instance, I want to use a Pi instead of a laptop on my audio setup. I am...
  23. Moon_Man

Looking for a simple media play or help with Foobar

I am a man of simple needs. I have a lot of music in FLAC format that sits in directories and subdirectories. It's mostly live music so it's not going to be recognized as Artist, Song, etc., by a media player. All I want is a simple, free media player that will let me see a directory tree...
  24. Moon_Man

Rectiliniar Highboy replacement drivers - unobtainium?

Looking at a second set of second-generation highboys that are for sale, but they "need a speaker". Don't know which one or why, but I've asked. They are cheap, and will make a good backup supply of parts for my first pair which are under renovation now. I'm wondering if the original...
  25. Moon_Man

JBL L15s - crossover mods?

I have JBL L15s that I bought as new in something like 1984 or so. I used them earlier this year and noticed the dreaded dull muddy sound indicating a needed recap. I've heard there are good crossover modifications out there but cannot find anything. These are nice little speakers, good...
Back
Top Bottom