Search results

1. deadphish

Nakamichi PA-7 Amp value?

I am seeing these on eBay for between $1300 and $1500. Is that a legit asking price for a working unit, or eBay wishful thinking? Is there a quality difference between the mkii and the straight-up PA-7? Trying to figure out if the one I am seeing locally is worth it...
  2. deadphish

Sleeving DIY RCA Cables?

Ok...I've watched like 50 youtube vids on how to make my own RCAs and I got it figured out. The only thing that is puzzling me: I want to sleeve them in paracord. Do I take off the black outer wire before sending it through the paracord?
  3. deadphish

word em up mprince!

bought a honey-sweet adcom pre for way less than book, and it was packed to survive a zombie apocalypse. Transact with nothing but confidence.
  4. deadphish

Dual 721 TT, serviced?

I found a Dual 721 TT with it's usual shure v15 type III at a thrift and I want to get it serviced. It's about a 7/10 cosmetic. I like to have an idea of the value of a unit in order to gauge how much to spend having it fixed up. Thanks!
  5. deadphish

Sansui G-9000 Thrift Store Find

So I came up on a G-9000 at a thrift/consignment shop yesterday, from what I can tell I did alright on price ($100). It works, but the left channel is a hair quieter than the right. I read that the controls on these are dirt magnets, so I've been spraying the deoxit around like a madman...
  6. deadphish

Sumo Polaris Power Amp Blowing Internal Fuses

I acquired a Sumo Polaris power amp, and it is blowing the two internal fuses on the right hand side. Any thoughts on what might be going on and how to fix it? I'm pretty much a DIY noob, but I want to learn. I've got nothing but a soldering iron, a cheap digital multimeter, a non-functioning...
  7. deadphish

Mission Freedom 770 Tweeter Replacement?

I have a pair of Mission Freedom 770 speakers that I love an inordinate amount. A few weeks ago a horrible feedback squelch passed through them and I think I killed one of the tweeters. Does anyone know of an available replacement that will work? Here is a pic of the tweeters, not my photo...
  8. deadphish

Pro-Ject Debut 3 Turntable - Wiring Pic?

OK...I need a huuuuuuge favor. I am trying to re-wire the tonearm for a Pro-Ject Debut III and I got a little turned around with where the tonearm wires and ground get attached at the bottom of the TT, inside that little plastic box underneath the table. If someone could post a pic, or a...
  9. deadphish

Tape is scraping on back of reel

I have an Akai gx-265D reel deck, and the tape is scraping on the back of both of the reels. There was an old thread that addressed this, but much of it flew over my head. Is this a relatively easy fix, or something I am going to need to take it to a tech for. I am a little leery of taking...
  10. deadphish

Large Advent Curb Score, Chipped Tweeter?

I found a pair of large Advents on big trash day in my town. I brought them home, you know, like ya do when you're an AKer :yes: It seems they are the "new" large Advents. They have rotted surrounds which will need to be replaced. But there is also a chip out of one of the tweeters. The...
  11. deadphish

Onkyo Integra a-8087 NO SOUND?

I just picked up a clean looking Onkyo Integra a-8087 integrated amp for $10. Everything lights up as it should. Hooked everything up and it is dead quiet, no sound at all, no hum, buzz, scratchiness, a whole lot of nuthin! Checked multiple inputs and both A and B speaker terminals. Any...
  12. deadphish

H.H. Scott Tube Integrated and Tuner?

I came across an H.H. Scott 222-C integrated and a 314 FM Tuner (might be mono?). Very nice appearance for their age, but bone stock. All tubes present, but I do not know if they are still good. I may not know much about tube gear, but I know enough not to fire anything up right off the bat...
  13. deadphish

Adding leader tape?

I would like to add leader tape to my reels. I watched a video on youtube and it appears i need a cutter, leader tape and splicing tape (aka the sticky stuff). Any thoughts on where i can get these things at a reasonable price? Keep in mind that I am a hobbiest with two kids and a mortgage...
  14. deadphish

Mission Freedom 770s with Stands....value?

I was wondering what is the approximate value of Mission Freedom 770 speakers with factory stands? Running beautifully, slight cosmetic issues but present well. The grills are intact but need new fabric...but who runs these with grills anyway, they look so bad-ass with 'em off!
  15. deadphish

Metal Reels...Benefit?

I am new to the reel game (technically not even in the game yet, reel is shipping as i type) and i was wondering, is there any sonic benefit to metal reels, or do they just look bad-ass?
  16. deadphish

Sansui 1000A Curb Score - Value?

My buddy out in Cali curb scored a Sansui 1000A tube receiver, dirty, missing the tuning knob but otherwise intact. All tubes present but untested. I told him not to fire it up and take it straight to a tech. He wants to know the value. I told him around $500 fully restored and about $150 -...
  17. deadphish

DAC with CD input questions

I am considering a DAC that has a CD input. I have a few questions: 1. By doing this, I assume the quality of a the CDP becomes much less important, as the DAC is doing most of the heavy lifting? 2. If 1 is true, can someone recommend an inexpensive CDP with a line out?
  18. deadphish

Emotiva XPA 100 Monoblocks or CARY AUDIO CAA-1?

I am looking to buy my first non-vintage amp (or amps) and I have around $600 to spend. I am using a vintage preamp (recapped HK Citation 11) running through Tekton M-Lore speakers. I listen to mostly jazz and rock. I can get the Cary used or the Emotivas new. Any thoughts on which should I...
  19. deadphish

HELP: Idiot's Guide to Biasing an ST70?

i have a refurbed dynaco ST 70 amp. I burned out a tube. Before i take it to a tech and spend my hard earned cash, i would like someone to explain how to bias my new tubes like I am an absolute moron. Imagine that I am a monkey and you are mission control talking me through landing the space...
  20. deadphish

Relative Tube Noob with a Problem

Hey. Haven't posted in a while, but I have a problem and need some help. I run a refurbed Dyaco ST70. It was left on all night recently (drunk buddy stayed up in my basement spinning records until 5am, never shut it off). When I turned it on the next day the front left power tube started to...
  21. deadphish

MANY classical records, library lot? North NJ

The Goodwill I go to up in North Jersey has a bunch of classical records just in, maybe about 10 - 15 milk crates worth. Many of them are in heavy plastic sleeves, so i am guessing they were in a library at some point. i leafed through them all, hoping to stumble upon a little pocket of rock...
  22. deadphish

Marantz CD-430?

Found one of these at a thrift today for $10. Date on the back is 1988. Does anyone have any experience with this player? There is very little about it on the ol google machine, but the controls feel rock solid and it's got some weight to it, so it passes the feel test with flying colors...
  23. deadphish

rshep delivered the TOOBS!

Bought an absolutely gorgeous ST 70 from rshep. Exactly as described and packed to withstand the appocalypse! And not for nothing, he probably could've got at least $100 more for the amp if he had flea-bayed it. And as a bonus, he has a shipping hookup which saved me another few sheckles...
  24. deadphish

Grundig Tube Radio?

My brother-in-law was given a Grundig Type 4070 stereo tube radio. Nice exterior condition, fires up and plays beautifully. He was wondering what it might be worth.
  25. deadphish

my new schiit came!

Modi DAC on my doorstep. Havent had time to demo as I've been helping the wife bake Christmas cookies, of all things. Will try to take a few moments tonight, but it may not happen.
Back
Top Bottom