Search results

1. G

Subwoofer Help Needed.

Yeah, I'm digging up an old thread. I recently set up a Yamaha CRX-TS10 mini system in my bedroom. Tossed the tiny compact speakers in favor of a set of Bose 301 IV's. This is not a critical listening system obviously. It's a rather big bedroom at approx 20x40. Having remembered reading this...
  2. G

Help me pick the better table to restore.

I have a couple decent (ish) options. With basic cleaning and a little lube I have a very clean looking and working second gen Dual 1237 with several spare sleds and carts including the ADC LXii that came on the table. Other carts are an unknown unlabeled black cart with a Shure 8x, and an...
  3. G

If you own a turntable and LP's, how old are you?

47 here. Vinyl takes me back. I enjoy the whole process of cleaning, and spinning a real record. Having recently had a pristine Marantz 2270 cleaned and serviced it just made sense to set up a turntable. Coupled to a Dual 1237 and a nice pair of ADS 1090's I'm really enjoying the ride. Sure...
  4. G

What song really MOVES you?

Susan Tedeschi "Just won't burn". Gives me the skin tingles. Gut wrenching soulful blues. Vastly prefer her solo work as opposed to her work with the Derek Trucks band. It's kind of like ketchup and ice cream. I really like both, just not together.
  5. G

Marantz 2270 or Harman Kardon Citation receiver

Both sound very nice. I'll have to spend more time with the Citation since it just got restored. I'm leaning toward keeping the Citation in part due to it being so rare and difficult to replace. I've never even seen another one for sale.
  6. G

Marantz 2270 or Harman Kardon Citation receiver

The time has come to make a decision on which one to keep. im pairing down to a much smaller collection and the time has come to choose one of these two and move the other down the road. The 2270 is pristine, possibly the cleanest I've seen in a long time. it is gorgeous. The HK was a little...
  7. G

Help needed with infinity poly woofer refoam.

I got it flush with some scraping. Should be fine. There was a harder gasket like material under the old foam, and the four seperate piece trim ring on top. All cleaned up well enough. Glued the foam to the cone. Waiting for it to dry now. Should have this first pair done late tonight or...
  8. G

If you look at the pic, you can see I removed the trim pieces. On these the trim pieces have 4 pieces per driver. The paper gasket underneath is epoxied or something to the steel frame (looks to be OEM). The foam was sandwiched between the paper gasket and the trim. You both seem to be saying to...
  9. G

The foam was definitely on top of it. It's in solid shape. Glue is tight. If I took it off, the new foam would sit too deep into the basket.
  10. G

Pretty much answered my own question. Found the goo. I'm leaving the paper gaske put.
  11. G

Howdy all, I'm refoaming my first woofers. I have a few to do including some Infinity rs3000's, OLA (Masonite ring) and Boston A100. I stripped the old foam and trim ring off the woofer of the rs3000's but there's still a paper ring that appears to be epoxied to the frame. Should I remove...
  12. G

Stupid speaker wire gauge question

Lol. I love this place. :-)
  13. G

HK Citation receiver value?

"Citation receiver" is the model.
  14. G

65ish lbs. Whatcha think, $19.99/lb? Thanks all, some sleuthing there I hadn't found.
  15. G

I have a nice Harman Kardon Citation receiver I'm trying to establish a value for. Problem is, they're rare as hens teeth, so precious few recent examples to compare to. It was just serviced and sounds very nice. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
  16. G

Trying to decide if I should econowave my Large Advets

Curt, changing out the driver will require a complete redesign of the crossover. It is not "drop in". Best results for the sake of simplicity will be obtained by sticking to the recipe of the drivers that have been selected and proven already. Variations from the recipe will likely yield at best...
  17. G

JBL D130F Questions

The d130f's are coveted by steel guitar players. They came in either 8 or 16 ohm. I have a set I've been sitting on for a while now. Debating on selling them, or e-waving them in Zilches honor.
  18. G

Cleaning old vinyl

The earlier mention of "old precious records" is a valid concern. Do not use the glue cleaning method on Laquer discs such as old 78's. Any Vinyl LP should be fine though. As said earlier "keep the glue off the label". Do a search here in the TT forum, and maybe watch a you tube vid to see how...
  19. G

Cleaning old vinyl

Don't bash the wood glue till you try it... It works AMAZINGLY well. I too thought it had to be some kind of joke, but trust me Titebond wood glue really pulls the crud outta the grooves. If your albums are really dirty, they will benefit from 2-3 good glue peels /side. There's been much...
  20. G

where can I find a tweeter for DCM CX-27

After following the link provided By Cygnusden, that goldwood tweet looks like a winner. At $2 each, I'd order at least one extra. Heck I'd probably get about twenty bucks worth. I'm sure they'd be handy to have a couple to match output, not to mention having spares, and or building a set of...
  21. G

speaker choices help

You may want to consider bi-amping or even building an "active" system. After multi-amp car audio, you will likely want some extra "punch". At a minumum you'll want to add a sub or three. Distributed bass systems may also be right up your alley.
  22. G

where can I find a tweeter for DCM CX-27

Smallavsys, try swapping the tweeters out. Easy way to tell if the problem is in the tweet or x-over and or fuse. I believe Dcm used an inexpensive (but quite decent) Audax Mylar tweeter in those. If you confirm that, Parts express should have them for around $6-$8 each.
  23. G

Which Sony vintage PreAmp?

Sony TA 2000 Friday I picked up a TA 2000 preamp. What a beast! 22lb. preamp. I was surprised to see it has a "center channel" output. Cosmetically it's in great shape, except for a few minor blemishes on the top cover. She was a bit dirty, but amazingly clean inside. After cleaning the...
  24. G

harman/kardon "Twin Power" Receivers

For audio specialty bulbs PM AK member dgwojo. Nothing like 40 yr old 'virgin' chrome huh?
  25. G

New Vs. Vintage integrated amp

Vintage gear is kinda funny IMHO. I believe it's easier to find a nice vintage receiver than it is to find nice separates. My thinking is this: first, many more receivers are/were sold as compared to separates. Second, often people "upgrade" from one receiver to the next, or to separates. Thus...
Back
Top Bottom