Search results

1. U

PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC- does anyone own one?

I am in the market for a stand-alone DAC and I noticed that, even though the PS Audio Direct-Steam DAC is VERY highly-regarded, the Stellar Gain Cell gets nary a mention from anyone. What's the deal? Is it junk? I realize that, at its price point, it's a crowded market but I haven't seen even a...
  2. U

Looking to buy an AT-OC9/III

Are there any special concerns/requirements for this cart? I'll be using it, initially, in my Orbit Plus deck until I upgrade to something else (Orbit V.2.0?). I think it's too much mass for my Revox. Anybody have any experience with these carts, either good or bad?
  3. U

I missed this back in the day...

I started my audio hobby back in the mid 1970s with a manual Pioneer TT. I don't remember the model but it was a pretty basic item. I think it had an Empire cartridge. I kept it for a number of years. Then, in the early 1980s I bought a Revox B-795. Before too much time went by, I upgraded the...
  4. U

The 78 Project

As this is an LP oriented release, I thought that I should post it here. Enjoy. http://the78project.com/
  5. U

Hafler preamp question

I had been using an old Hafler DH-101 preamp just for it's phono section (MM) using an OM-30 catridge, then running line-level into my Boulder preamp. As my primary source was CD, I felt it was "good enough". Now that I'm revamping some of my equipment, I'm wondering whether I should finally...
  6. U

Misc. TT questions

Random questions not worthy of separate threads... 1. Is the tonearm on a new Thorens TD 295 Mk4 the same as those on the cheaper Music Hall TTs? It looks to be judging from pics. 2. Is the Marantz TT42 the same basic machine as a Denon DP-300F? 3. VPI claims that their new Traveler TT...
  7. U

Effects of inflation on our hobby

Being frustrated in shopping for a new TT with, at least, equal specs to what I used in the past, I decided to crunch some numbers using an inflation calculator. WOW, was that an eye-opener! Maybe some of you on this forum think that is obvious but exact numbers are quite revealing. A TT for...
  8. U

B & O TTs

Is anybody here familiar with the various B & O turntables? I saw a couple of them for sale. One, I believe, was a Beogram 5500 and the other was a TX2. I remember them from years ago. I seem to recall that they sounded very thin, dry and analytical but it may have been the system at fault, too...
  9. U

Auto TTs

I may be in the market for a new TT. I have to say I lean towards a full auto deck. I know high-end decks are full-manual but to me that seems like only 1/2 a product. A semi-auto would be OK. How many are on the market? The Thorens TD240 and TD295 are attractive choices. I'm aware of the Denon...
  10. U

Greetings from New England

Another newbie here, this one from the Bay State. I have a hodge-podge of mostly high-end gear, some lower-fi stuff where it was necessary. A problem with my Revox B795 led me here (via Google). This looks to be a very fun site for a fun hobby! If it matters, in my main system: Boulder, Crown...
Back
Top Bottom