Search results

1. zebulon1

A Big Filter cap observation.

I have a Sencore LC75 "Z" Meter II. Its made to check caps and it does it well (It has a old calibration sticker on it and I have not calibrated it). The big filters are checked when receiving them and the old ones get checked when removed. I haven't found one that didn't pass in ESR, Leakage or...
  2. zebulon1

SX-1280 Tuner Alignment, issue/question.

I aligned this tuner using a few different procedures. Mainly different Stereo generators but that is not why I posted. The alignment has vastly improved over the original condition I received the 1280 in. The alignment didn't improve the hysteresis when tuning in a station. I get all the...
  3. zebulon1

A couple of things. LCSC supplier and a MX-800

I was reading several past threads on the MX-800. I'm mostly sure at this point I found all the blown up components in the right channel. It was railed positive with the NPN driver blown/cracked. I think it started because of a really thin trace between the emitter and the rest of the circuit...
  4. zebulon1

Sony TA-F6B Integrated Amp IC issue.

The amp had the right channel blown. Repaired all that. It needs the Linear Amp IC Sony "CX171" 14 pin DIP to finish the work. I can't find an exact replacement. Does anyone have any info on a replacement? The image below is a similar chip but the seller say's it wont work. No datasheets...
  5. zebulon1

Any experienced Pioneer, AK Tech in the Buffalo area?

I sold a SX-1280 to a guy in Depew. The offset has drifted. On one channel. I would like to have someone look at and hopefully adjust to specs. Maybe you might know of a good local shop? Some form of compensation would be in order.
  6. zebulon1

Cooked Capstan motor on a RT-901. Perplexed!

I had received this on a loan payback from a friend (He has since passed on, no one, you guys know). I should of got my cash back. Found out it was broke. So I restored it. It still looks like a Goodwill find but it kind'a worked for a short time. New heads from JRF, recapped cleaned and...
  7. zebulon1

Repairing a pair of vintage "Jensen 25's"

I'm looking for advice and wisdom from you guy's on these Cat pee smelling speakers. This is what I got and some ideas: I did read a few old posts on this model. This older post is interesting https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/jensen-model-25-restoration.378219/ The speakers...
  8. zebulon1

Amos AK "Sawdust" has passed away "Saddened"

Amos son has informed me of his passing this morning. He was a beloved member here on AK. I never shook his hand but we became good friends for many years. I had purchased a few custom hardwood bonnets from him and shortly shared projects and wonderful conversations. He had recovered from a...
  9. zebulon1

18T split/knurled shafts, I have several/many potentiometer's that have broken shafts.

I like to find a new potentiometer with the proper shaft I can cut and use on the original Pioneer pots. The shafts and split knurled stems are longer than what I can find in new stock. Finding some cheap original donor pot is difficult, plus I don't want to ruin any possible replacement parts...
  10. zebulon1

I bought a Heathkit AN-2016 "Modulus" Receiver/Pre and the matching AA-1506 Amp

I know. What was I thinking? Something I always wanted from the day I saw it in the Catalog. It comes with all the modules. Two quad encoders (cd-4 and SQ) and the Dolby board. Really. It was the thought of building it more than listening to it. It had that a different look from most of the...
  11. zebulon1

SX-1980 Hardware

I had a few toasty plastic rivets that secure the boards to the metal mounting brackets. They broke but were still able to hold the boards in. On the SX-1980, the main amps and EQ use those rivets. I found the Eagle Plastic Devices, P/N SR19260 work perfectly. I've had a bag full for many years...
  12. zebulon1

Nakamichi mr-1 Transport issue (I've tinkered on it)

The "Play" was not working at all before I started on the repair. This MR-1 has the gear set instead of the rubber drive wheel. The Play function only works when kick started. All others work perfectly. It will run in play all day without a tape. New belts. Counter works well in both directions...
  13. zebulon1

G7000 both channels min bias at 4.5mV

I read a few posts regarding this issue. Amp board was original. First there was a ton of Sansui glue surrounding the bias circuit components. Once that was sorted with new 150 ohm resistors I was able to bias and adjust. But, with the original trimmers set at full CCW the idles remain at 4 and...
  14. zebulon1

My 13 year old grandson wants me to show him how to repair the audio.

He's always wanting to do projects with me from when he could talk. Note: The wife is concerned about the irons. I was thinking about how to approach this. I'm not much of a teacher and had to teach myself how to learn. So my way is not for everyone. But - he picks up on stuff quickly, straight...
  15. zebulon1

SX-D7000 and 3900 Driver options?

This post is completely re-done and is the similar to post# 9. 2SCR567F3TR NPN Datasheet 2SAR567F3TR PNP Datasheet Original transistors: 2sa985/a pnp to-220 bce 120v/150v 1.5a 25w 180mhz 35-320hfe orig 180mhz nsa driver 2sc2275/a npn to-220 bce 120v/150v 1.5a 25w 200mhz 35-320hfe orig 200mhz...
  16. zebulon1

A guy sent me a SX-D7000 to refresh. This receiver is nice!

Preventive maintenance is the idea on this one. I see a few 2sa750's. It looks like a SX-3900 so all those steps apply? Power supply and amp, service, caps and reflow, including the Termi-Blok output terminals. I don't want put to much into it, Just enough to keep it going for few more decades...
  17. zebulon1

Can we talk about the Tantalum's in regards to restoration's?

They are expensive compared to the electronics. Mouser does have some budget Tantalums made by a company called KYOCERA AVX, running around half price. The 850 I'm working on has a ton of them on the tone control and a ton in other places. I was wondering: The 850 is sort of a value line...
  18. zebulon1

I love my Flukes (And Simpsons)

It seems I've been running into Fluke meters at the few garage sales that we've had this spring in Las Vegas I found a 87III and paid up on it ($160) and the the guy had a Model 12 which I always wanted but never wanted to by new or from eBay. I couldn't get him to part with it but I found one...
  19. zebulon1

Repaired: SX-770 restored but the Stereo light remains on. Signal meter works correctly.

These 770's always surprise me on how well they sound. Why? Their so simple in circuitry. I was commissioned to restore one found on eBay. The owner had it shipped directly. Arrived in minty condition but with only one lamp working. It is original, with not signs of any previous maintenance. It...
  20. zebulon1

RT-909 Capstan drive circuit issues.

It will run in forward PLAY and operate somewhat correctly. It fails in reverse PLAY. The pinch solenoid engages and the green direction LED will light but the capstan motor will stop. I see the transistor "H" bridge (OR the transistor assy. that switches the motor polarity) for a lack of a...
  21. zebulon1

Bought a junk 780 for parts and look what I found.

4 Amp main fuse was blown. Previous work and components replaced. Including uncut component legs touching the bottom cover. Replaced the fuse and fired it up on the DBT, Dim. On full line power: Found out the right channel is working. The left channel makes no sound when touching the input...
  22. zebulon1

SX-1280 FM IF issue (Fixed) But revisited

The problem is, it only tries to tune with the mute off. Tuning sounds mostly garbled but it tries to get most stations. One station does sound okay with some serious volume. The tuning meter stays to the left and can't be centered no matter what, on or off station. It does center when the...
  23. zebulon1

Got my RT-901 operating but there's a catch

About three years ago I bought a RT-901. "Pustelniakr" has a wonderful thread on the restore of these wonderful RTR's. The 901, I found was a mess. Owned by a retired audio tech. I was also new to looking at used RTR's and not familiar to what to look for. I followed that thread, cleaned, lubed...
  24. zebulon1

Some high five's needed on a Spec II Protection repair

Why did this repair bug me? I had this Spec in my system for a year or so, later I traded to a guy and he traded it, and now the new owner messaged me that it wasn't working. "In protection without speakers". "Bring it over and I'll fix it" said I. The amp would turn on, meters light and the...
Back
Top Bottom