Search results

1. TerryB123

Dynaco A-25 Questions

The grills are tacked on with brads so don't come off easily.
  2. TerryB123

Estimate how much money you have wrapped up in your music collection

Discogs says $26k median for my records. Add in cds, which are worth less and less aside from some collectibles and box sets, and in definitely in the $25000-50000 range. Did I pay all that? Probably not, but why knows. That's 35 years of collecting there.
  3. TerryB123

What's your username mean?

My name and initial for last name. Then 123. It rhymes.
  4. TerryB123

Sony PS-X60 automatic tone arm issues

I use two mounted carts for it. An older AT 440mla. In the original headshell , and a SAE1000E on a generic headshell with 4g weight attached to the shell. Sometimes I use another generic headshell with a Signet TK3 and AT15s stylus.
  5. TerryB123

Sony PS-X60 automatic tone arm issues

I have a PS-X50 and agree, these are great, great tables.
  6. TerryB123

Best bang for the buck, new/used, decade, $/$$/$$$?

Older- Pioneer PL 12 or 15D Newish- Music Hall mmf-5 before they got up into Rega P/RP3 price range.
  7. TerryB123

Companies that had catalogs

I came to this thread to like this comment or write it myself. Drew Alan Kaplan was quite the salesman.
  8. TerryB123

Ever Had A DAC Go Bad?

My Grant Fidelity DAC-09 had its USB circuit crap out. I still use it for optical.
  9. TerryB123

Added a Blusound Node 2i to my system

I did not. As I was hooking it up, it was clear to me that for $600 plus tax I was looking for something to easily play Tidal, and that I already had a workaround for that with a much broader and deeper features set (Roon). I have a dedicated computer already at the hifi station, with a decent...
  10. TerryB123

The new Node is $US 599. Add 8% tax for another $48. I tried the other wifi methods but honestly, I only bought it assuming it would be 100% plug-and-play. The manual stated that using ethernet required no other setup. So I stayed at that. Not set on Roon myself. They do have a buy-once option...
  11. TerryB123

Update...After mouthing off in this here forum I put my money where my mouth is and bought a 3rd Gen Node yesterday. $647 including sales tax, as I decided to hit a B&M shop and support the local guy. Yeah, shelling out the cash was a little hard. I did my setup last night- ethernet straight...
  12. TerryB123

[="E-Stat, post: 15394736, Yeah, that. Look, I have a PhD in a science field, maintain a number of servers, IT functions, etc for my lab group. When I get done with work I just want to put some tunes on. There are many like me who have less computer background. A Node takes care of that, and...
  13. TerryB123

Add in a case, maybe a soundboard, dac, etc and you’re in for $300. Add in build time, software, etc and the off the shelf product with support starts to sound cheap.
  14. TerryB123

Bluetooth Adapter

Because every laptop headphone out I’ve heard sounds like garbage. I have four of these. They’re pretty solid.
  15. TerryB123

What is the general concensus of AR 11 HI-RES speakers? (Rectocon)

I have a set and have been very happy with them for 18 years. I biamp the sub. Only replaced yesterday because I found a screaming deal on a set of ESS AMT-1 monitors.
  16. TerryB123

ESS AMT-1e Monitor

Yeah, I had to double check that the person who listed the ad didn't forget a zero.
  17. TerryB123

ESS AMT-1e Monitor

Just posting some bragging and maybe a request for some more information, since it's hard to find on the web. Yesterday I scroed a set of ESS AMT-1em speakers. As far as I can tell, they are the last iteration of the monitors that started in the 70s. There's almost nothing on the e model, and it...
  18. TerryB123

Decent Power Amp That Will Fit In A Kallax Square?

Dayton APA150 from Parts Express. They are the same as one of the early Emotiva amps. I have two that run my subs.
  19. TerryB123

Do I have a “MidFi” system or not?

Run with it. I call my setups, which are in the same league as yours, low budget hi fi.
  20. TerryB123

Your Picks For The World's Worst-Sounding Recordings

Sleater Kinney- The Woods. I’m not a fan of David Friddman’s hyper compressed sound, and he really slathered it onto this one. It’s the loudest album in my collection. DR value of 3, if that means anything to anyone. To me, it translates to an ear bleeder.
  21. TerryB123

Recommendations please: closed-back dynamic under $300 for Stax fan

Shure 1540 are the best closed-back I've heard
  22. TerryB123

Sennheiser HD 558 O.B

I’m a fan. Certainly not an end-game headphone, but they present themselves well and have a nice warm signature. I’m not crazy about jacked up highs and lows, like the ATH-M50x.
  23. TerryB123

Budget class D amp

I like this one: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-120bt2-class-d-mini-amplifier-60-wpc-with-bluetooth--300-3803. A little more power than some of the others, bluetooth connectivity, and great sound.
  24. TerryB123

I was robbed by FedEx

I once lost a transmission to UPS. A truck transmission, like 100 lbs. The box was delivered empty. It was found months later in a sorting station in Worcester, MA. As far as we could tell, the box went down a slide and turned onto a belt, but the tranny just kept gping through the box wall. A...
  25. TerryB123

Monoprice and Audio Technica

I started my journey with those Monoprice cans. Now I never, ever play them, but they're okay for the price. The ATH-50x were miles better. I've since found many that are even better than those. Stop at the 50s if you like them, I still use nubs at work. They'll do you fine, but know that there...
Back
Top Bottom