Search results

1. Doug G.

1980s First Generation Compact Discs - Do They Sound Good or Not?

I worked in the 8-track deck manufacturing industry (at Telex and we made decks for Ford Motor Company) and 8-tracks were still big sellers until the end of the seventies when cassettes really began taking over. By 1982, 8-tracks were pretty much over. Before that, we still sold oodles of decks...
  2. Doug G.

OL Advent questions, please

L1 can't be open because the woofer would not work in the system. Doug
  3. Doug G.

Is a Zerostat working if it doesn't make any noise?

It doesn't matter. It is still relevant. Doug
  4. Doug G.

Any hope for my OLA Advent? Low/muffled output from woofer

The woofer will have to be disassembled to find the problem. The spider is obviously displaced/warped so something is wrong with the position of the voice coil or the voice coil is damaged. Also, check to see if the spider has become detached from the voice coil, either completely or partially...
  5. Doug G.

Cat guard !

Pffft! I have seen dogs run away in terror if a cat so much as twitches a muscle. Doug
  6. Doug G.

Can the Technics SL-5 play at an angle

The main reason for a dynamically balanced tonearm is so you don't have to fuss with getting the turntable absolutely level. The arm will track fine without that requirement. Having the arm track at an angle - 30 degrees, 45 degrees, 90 degrees, even upside down, is merely a dramatic...
  7. Doug G.

Shure M91ED cartridge height

Actually, the tracking height looks fine in the photos BUT, .8 grams VTF is unrealistic. It should be 1 gram or higher. Then see what the height looks like. The low end of manufacturers' VTF specifications is pretty much invariably unrealistic. Doug
  8. Doug G.

CD-r Heroes....??

Reading this thread reminds me of the chaos of digital. Doug
  9. Doug G.

I have heard some pretty incredible cassettes (Lisztronique is a perfect example) but, generally, LPs have always been superior to prerecorded cassettes. Doug
  10. Doug G.

Oh no, I was not holding record producers up as paragons of audiophile goodness. It's just that it is very unlikely they were ignorant of the whole process, even in the early CD days. Believing they were unaware of or purposely ignoring the RIAA curve factor is just not reasonable. Doug
  11. Doug G.

The loudness war era was not a result of ignorance. It was a result of greed. Doug
  12. Doug G.

Something REALLY stuck on my album.

If you're afraid of damaging the vinyl, use a wooden toothpick to rub the spot and see what happens. And, it is very doubtful the stylus will be harmed by letting it ride over the spot. No sense in throwing the record away. Doug
  13. Doug G.

LP protectant from 1978?

Sound Guard was a liquid with a dry hydrocarbon (Teflon-like) lubricant suspended in it. You sprayed the liquid onto the record's surface and spread it around with the blue, velvet-like brush before the liquid evaporated, so the dry lubricant was evenly dispersed. When the liquid evaporated, a...
  14. Doug G.

I recorded a bunch of LPs/CDs onto cassettes when I worked at Mountain Electronics in 1986. I used Denon and Maxell tapes. They are still perfect to this day. Doug
  15. Doug G.

In 2000, I bought a 1987 Cutlass Supreme with a Pioneer Super Tuner/CD player in it. Doug
  16. Doug G.

Los Angeles based music. What’s your favorites???

I love that stuff, too. Doug
  17. Doug G.

Los Angeles based music. What’s your favorites???

The Doors. No debate. Doug
  18. Doug G.

I went and got my '87 "Rubber Soul" and am playing it and it sounds fine. I would be willing to say the lack of "screechiness" may be due to my diminished hearing at age 71 but I can still hear to at least 15K. :D And, as to cassettes wiping out LPs, it just isn't realistic. Cassettes and LPs...
  19. Doug G.

Yes, and if it had actually happened that producers ignored the RIAA thing, the CDs would have been grossly without any fidelity whatsoever and not just kind of shrill, which was the usual early complaint. And, to think that record producers were actually that ignorant is beyond the pale. Doug
  20. Doug G.

LP protectant from 1978?

Yup. Sound Guard was IT in the mid to late seventies. Quite a few of my records were treated with it and most still have, I presume, the protective layer of dry lubricant in the grooves. I didn't mark the records or jackets with any identifier but I made a list and I still have the four-page...
  21. Doug G.

Engraved serial number on sansui faceplate?

There was a big push, in the late seventies, to mark all your equipment with your SSN so if it was stolen, you would have proof it was yours if found. The push included any of your personal belongings with any value. They even had ads on TV. The fad eventually died out but that's why you find...
  22. Doug G.

Yeah, it wasn't cassettes that sank LPs. It was CDs. Doug
  23. Doug G.

Electrolytic Capacitors

Oh, and those are not electrolytic capacitors. Actually, the orange ones may be and probably are. Doug
  24. Doug G.

Electrolytic Capacitors

Caps like that are not polarized but the stripe around one end indicates that end is the outside foil and, conventionally, is connected to the lower potential side of the circuit, typically ground. To answer your original question, what you have is the equivalent of a .5uF non polarized...
  25. Doug G.

Cat guard !

I was going to say. whatever you do. you CANNOT do anything that can hurt your beloved pet. Doug
Back
Top Bottom