Search results

1. F

12au7 phase inverter (modern) tube??

Hi gang. Well, recently, my nos RFT 12au7 tube was not working well, so i took it out. I do have other 12au7's that i use for the phase inverter tube slot. I have older Toshiba and Miniwatt (both made in Japan), as well as reissue Tung sol and Mullard. Of the bunch my least favourite is the...
  2. F

Older plasma models (silver bezel)..just as good?

Hello everyone, and Happy New Year! Having just replied to another post about plasmas, it's peaked my interest again, and might consider a spare tv, to replace the piece of junk, 65" visio i have now! I cam across an older plasma, it's a 50" TH-50PX60u. It has the silver bezel and silver U...
  3. F

Got a ski equipment question..

Hi everyone, i was hoping to get some info about alpine ski boots/bindings? I've had my HEAD skis for close to 20 years now. I still like then and their still in good shape. I have tyrolia (D8 Free Flex) bindings on them and have a pair of Solomon Evolution boots. I was thinking of maybe...
  4. F

"pop" sound when turning off tube amp...

hi gang. i have seen a post here about a "pop" sound ( coming out of speakers, no matter in input) when shutting off amp. I have this situation (fairly often" when shutting off my old HK integrated amp (300A). As was mentioned, it would be good to install an arc supressor (disc cap) on the...
  5. F

Tube question.....

I have a question concerning not only power tubes, but tubes in general. What is more important when picking tubes...that the values match or are extremely close OR that they are of the same brand (lets say in a pair, or a quad)? I've seen vintage tubes for sale, although their values (ie:a...
  6. F

Tubes made in Japan...where do they rank?

Hi everyone, was wondering where Japanese tubes rank in the scheme of things? My hk amp uses a 12au7 in the phase inverter spot. I've tried newer mullard, tung sol.. which sound ok. I recently put in an RFT 12au7 and sounds really nice. I found a couple of tubes that i had misplaced, and found...
  7. F

Soldering iron wire with resin?

Hi everyone, fab here. I was stuck today as i had to solder some wires for a crossover. I didn't have my regular, thinner gauge soldering wire, so i used the thicker (1.6 mm) wire that has resin in the centre. Not sure if it's more for plumbing? There is sound coming out of the speaker. Is...
  8. F

Sony hp-610 tuner section help!

Hello everyone. I've almost completed restoring this cool unit. Right now, i'm having difficulty in the FM section of the tuner. With an external antenna plugged in, it's having difficulty in catching local stations. It does manage to faintly catch the station, but has Static noise in it. Is...
  9. F

Dual 1210 turntable...help with tonearm.

hi everyone, well, I've gotten most of this turntable to work. Right now i find that the tonearm drops on the record a little hard, i find. The other issue is the lift/lower cue arm lever doesn't work. I regreased the plates to make it lift and lower smoother, but if i ise the lever...nothing...
  10. F

sony hp-610 "all-in-one"....how to get to control pots/switches??

Hi everyone, i was given this receiver/combo unit. i know it lights up but haven't heard it yet. i really need to clean out the pots and switches but have no idea as how to get to them? does the front faceplate just have to be removed? i managed to remove the Dual turntable part but now stumped...
  11. F

How do pioneer and yamaha avr's sound?

Hi gang, hope you're all doing well? So i've had my HK avr (147) for some time now and really like the sound. I found it had a nice, warm sound. I still look around at avr's for sale, and always curious to know how pioneer's and Yamaha's sound? Are they bright? Neutral? Well-balanced? I've...
  12. F

Bluray and hk avr question..

Hi gang, was looking in my Panasonic bd player settings before. It has to do with audio settings. The first page i think i set it up ok, in terms of using bitstream, as i let the avr do the work. I was confuston second page, where it asks if the receiver can break down the pcm conversion into...
  13. F

Glass top stove recommendations?

Hi gang, was hoping to get some input on this. I've always been an old-school, electric coil stove, kinda guy. Our current coil stove has been problematic and am fed up with it. If i had my way, i'd get a pre-1990 stove...but. Anywho, we are thinking of getting a glass top stove, but don't know...
  14. F

Power tubes vs preamp tubes?

Hi gang, was wondering, in terms of "tonality" what makes a bigger difference? My hk tube integrated amp has 6v6's on the power side and 12ax7's on preamp side. I'm currently running newer tungsol's on the power side and Svetana's on preamp. Thanks
  15. F

Speaker wire gauge on short runs?

Hi everyone, was just wondering what gauge speaker wire would you use for shorter runs (7-8 feet) for an old tube amp(12 watts/channel), with 8 ohm modern speaker? Right now i have 22 gauge ofc wire. I saw some charts showing that with 8 foot runs to use 24 gauge wire? Any info would be great...
  16. F

Denon carousel tray..noisy when spinning

Hi everyone, recently picked up a denon 5 disc player. I noticed that when the tray is spinning, it's making a bit of noise, like the tray gears are hitting each other. It works well and spins well. is there any way to fix this? Any lubricating that needs to be done? I noticed that with the tray...
  17. F

Sony bdp-s380....playing sacd in 5.1?

Hello everyone, and Happy Holidays! I decided to switch out my Panasonic bd player for this Sony. I connected the hdmi out from player to hdmi in on tv. I also connected coax out from player to input on harman kardon avr. in the sony I selected "multi channel " in Sacd settings. When i went to...
  18. F

Buying an older avr...bad idea?

Hey everyone. Was looking around the used market, and came across a 20 year old pioneer (vsx-d710s) avr. I was wondering, even if it wasn't used hard, is it a bad idea to get a unit of this age, or better off getting something newer (used) maybe entry level instead? From what i read, the pioneer...
  19. F

Onkyo Avr/speaker kit..are they good?

Hello everyone, currently i'm running a Harman Kardon avr147 receiver with a sony set of speakers and sub. I have to say, the Sony's do sound good and the sub really gets down low! I was thinking of maybe switching up units. i came across an Onkyo avr/speaker set (Onkyo HT-S3100b). I don't...
  20. F

Surround sound speaker impedance que?

Hi everyone. So i saw a set of satellite avr speakers. The speakers are rated at 6 ohms. My Harman Kardon avr says that the speakers should be 8 ohm Minimum. Would it be ok to use the 6ohm speakers on this avr? Does "8 ohm minimum", mean 8ohm and lower (6,4) or higher (12,16 ohm)? thanks Fab
  21. F

Omage surround sound speakers???

Hi gang, just came Across a 5.1 set of speakers from Omage (ss-80s). I've seen some regular speakers from this line, but didn't know they made SS speakers too. Anyone know about these? Do they make good SS speakers? Thanks Fab
  22. F

tonearm silicone grease...any substitutions??

Hello everyone. so my Dual TT arm is now starting to drop quite hard. I was looking at the manual about it and it calls for 500k cst silicone grease. I've seen just a few sites (hobby shops) that sell this as r/c car differential grease. IT seems to be quite expensive and doesn't seem to need...
  23. F

satellite HT speakers: Athena vs Infinity vs Hk vs Sony??

Hi everyone. I currently have 2 satellite speaker setups at home. I have a sony SS-V345 5.1 speaker system and i also have a Harman Kardon SAT-TS15 (5 speakers with Klipsch sub). Between the two, i find the Sony to have a nicer sound, more presence and the sony sub is awesome (yes, i prefer it...
  24. F

Teac home theatre speakers..any good?

Hi everyone, i came across a 5.1 set of Teac speakers for sale. It's the first time i ever came across their speakers. I'm curious to know if they make decent HT speakers? Not sure of the model number. Thanks fab
  25. F

Dual 1215 tonearm drops hard...hlp

Hi everyone. i haven't used this table in a while. when i went to start a record, the tonarm moved over and dropped like a hammer! even when i use the "up/down" lever for the arm, it drops hard. Any advice as to what it might be? any video links as to how i can repair this?thanks fab
Back
Top Bottom